N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default Engine shuts off when hot? - 01-07-2018, 01:18 AM

I have been experiencing some interesting issues recently. I will say that the BB2 pump BEF is my newest addition to my car, FWIW. Earlier today I was sitting in my idling N54 at the Calabasas Promenade for about 10 minutes. Suddenly I got a really bizarre idle and CEL for 29F4 bs from the new firmware. Cleared the code and thought nothing much of it. Later today, I was sitting in L.A. traffic near the Staples Center, and the same thing happens, CEL limp mode, Even rougher idle this time, engine slowly dies and shuts off. I turn engine back on, and the max cool for some reason is now on unexpectedly.
-
-
Any idea what could be causing this? Something in the BEF? a waterpump that is on the ****z or maybe a thermostat?? waterpump seems to run fun when maxcool was enabled and a thermostat is usually stuck open.. not closed. Tried googling this, but it's hard to google all of these symptoms, and I know that waterpumps are sometimes unpredictable. I will say that both times I had issues, the car was sitting, so it was maybe, warmer than usual.
-
Thanks for your help!

M3 F80 2017 Competition & Carbon Brakes
JB4 ||| H&R Sport Springs

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Nanometer; 01-07-2018 at 01:34 AM..
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM

29F4 is an exhaust efficiency code (F4 is bank 1). Maybe a coincidental O2 sensor issue? If it was running lean it might be running hot. Could certainly lead to idle problems either way.

Did you get the yellow or red coolant CEL? Usually that is the sign of a water temp/pump problem.

Do you have any logs? Did you try flashing back to stock BEF?
(#3)
Old

Default 01-07-2018, 04:18 PM

The issue is at idle, not sure a log would help much, would it? Car isn't running lean. As I said the issue is at idle. Even if it was running lean, the cooling systems should take over to ensure it doesnt over heat. No, havent flashed back to stock yet. I'd like to see if anyone can pinpoint the problem, it might very well be a failing waterpump.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#4)
Old

Default 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM

I got a video of the issue including a monitor of some readings. Coolant temperatures seem normal, and the issue happens predictably when coolant hits around 228+ ish.. Hope this helps give an answer, let me know!
LINK TO VIDEO

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1