N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default Logging without a laptop - possible?? - 08-16-2013, 07:44 AM

Hey guys,

I would really like to log more often, but hooking up the laptop is kindof a pain. Ok its not "painful", but not something i can do on the fly.

Has anyone ever devised a system (or Terry do you think it could be possible in the future) to have the JB4 record logs without a laptop and record them onto, say, a USB thumb drive?

If you could start a log from steering wheel controls, have it save to a thumb drive, then hook it up to your laptop later you could just leave the thumb drive in the glove box full time and log whenever you want.

Maybe there are some coders in here smarter than me who could whip up a homebrew solution
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 335 CSI
Default 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM

EXACTLY!!!!

Plus even though I have the usb cable routed through the glove box into the car unless I have a passnger logging the USB sometimes slips out of the port or the laptop goes to sleep between logs and then interface disconnects and have to restart...WOULD LOVE an easier way.....think even bluetooth to iphone would be sweet

Sleeper edition Cabrio 3 series

Performance: JB4/G5 ISO MHD Flash, RB's and HiFlow oil returns, BMS DCI, PLM ***, cp-e FMIC & OC, aFe scoops & Throttle body spacer, Alpina TCU Flash, Stage 2 LPFP bucketless and Platinum PI by SteveAz, Mspec LSD, Cp-e charge with tial BOV, RB inlets and VTT outlets (let them fight my car doesn't care)
(#3)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 08:33 AM

iphone/android would be great. But if mobile development is too much of a pain, maybe it could run on a microcomputer like a RaspberryPi ($25 linux-based machine the size of a credit card).

(#4)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Logging on that raspberry would be awesome!

fuel injection is cool, but i'd rather be blown!
537.75HP 540.63TQ
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335XI
Default 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16913

Not best way to log but works somehow.

2008 335XI(E92) AT/ garrett gtx3582r with jpworks manifold 1.06AR housing/ tial mv-s 38mm wgs(13.5 psi springs)/ tial bov/ fuel it level1 upgrade/ index 12 injectors/ N20 Map sensor/JB4 ST TS BEF with MHD/ Alpina Flash for now.
(#6)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taron
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16913

Not best way to log but works somehow.
That's a nice intermediate solution. Kindof like what I'm doing now keeping an old netbook in my glove box. But it only powers up half the time, needs a new battery.

It would be great to take interaction with the PC (tablet or otherwise) out of the picture. There has to be some way to start and end a log with steering wheel controls, right?
(#7)
Old

Car: 2007 335i E92
Default 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM

It would be great if we can start/stop with steering wheel controls, have it auto-save to the jb4 memory. Then retrieve the logs when we plug the laptop in. A jb4 android/iphone app would be ideal. N54Mike has made some progress with an android app.

|2007 E92 SGM 335i|
Cobbv3 BMS DCI & OCC VRSF *** & FMIC E85 Custom Backend & Alpina TCU flash ER CP RB PCV+Cap
Walbro 255 Rohana RC5 19s Nittos 555 245/275 Cyba Scoops LUX V3 M3 Cowl ST Coils LCI Tails

(#8)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 01:44 PM

An app would be cool as long as it didnt have to be hooked up to USB, which it probably would need to be.

Getting the log start/stop command onto the steering wheel would be a HUGE upgrade, and if it could auto-store on something small that i could just leave in the car it would really add to the already great appeal of the JB4 setup.
(#9)
Old

Car: 135
Default 08-16-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsportzn135i
Logging on that raspberry would be awesome!
Totally! What if you had the Pi in a little chassis with a single button to start/stop logging and an LED to indicate if it's recording? I don't think I'd want to have to use the steering wheel controls to start and stop every log...

2009 135i 6MT Jet Black, FBO+
(#10)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM

to run it on the pi you would have to port the JB software to linux. Pi isnt strong enough to run windows

But is plenty strong enough to receive the csv data the JB spits out
(#11)
Old

Car: grocery getter
Default 08-16-2013, 06:35 PM

I've been working on an Android app (check for the thread) just have to finish up the logging implementation.
(#12)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 06:46 PM

I have code written in c that logs the stuff. I never got around to finishing it but it's 95% of the way there.
(#13)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM

For what its worth I had it running on this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...odel=TL-WR702N, then it would offer up a wireless or bluetooth signal in the car to other devices. I actually would love someone to continue the development with, I jsut dont have the time.
Paul
(#14)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 08-16-2013, 06:55 PM

I don't even mind the laptop thing (since I like to pull over, check the log, and make changes right there); but start / stop with steering wheel controls is a great idea! I almost crash every time I try to start a log, just to find that it already started, then I have to abort the run, stop logging, turn around, and restart again LOL.

Ferrari Red F80
(#15)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 06:59 PM

This would make logging much much easier. I prefer logging with a passenger starting the log otherwise it's kinda hectic and I worry about the laptop bouncing around.
(#16)
Old

Default 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmn
I have code written in c that logs the stuff. I never got around to finishing it but it's 95% of the way there.
Would it run on linux?

Every time i log the laptop goes flying. I'm planning to get a USB extension cord as a temporary solution.

I would buy an older android device just to have for logging purposes if it were more convenient, but the game changer i think is steering wheel controls.

Last edited by Deep_Blue; 08-16-2013 at 07:31 PM..
(#17)
Old

Car: 2013 335i Manual
Default 08-17-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
but start / stop with steering wheel controls is a great idea!
Heaven.

- bob
- 335i M Sport Package
- Estoril Blue
- Nav and Rear-view camera
- Manual Trans
- N55 "Twin Power" JB4 (F30/335)
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-17-2013, 01:41 PM

It would be possible to develop it but I generally like to move away from logging and focus on autotuning, real time information readout via dash, etc. Those that really want to datalog and study data are no strangers to laptops and the rest of us just want the tune to study the logs for us and adjust accordingly, or warn us if something is wrong.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#19)
Old

Default 08-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
or warn us if something is wrong.
That's my main reason for logging. I keep it on auto tune but it would be nice to check up on things without a laptop.
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Boost on fuel, timing on oil temp, stealth mode so they only come on under heavy throttle.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#21)
Old

Default 08-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Boost on fuel, timing on oil temp, stealth mode so they only come on under heavy throttle.

This is bang on my intent. I wanted a soution that auto logs to the USB key. If something went wrong, I'd have data to email in as support.
(#22)
Old

Car: 09 e92 335i sport
Default 08-17-2013, 09:53 PM

even though I dont have idrive it would be very cool to have the jb4 integrated in to it and display it on the screen and plug in a thumb drive in to the oem usb port in the console but that seems very difficult to do?

or have a radio control on/off or start log /stop log on the steering wheel controls and have it go to a thumb drive hooked to the usb plug with a dual female usb adapter.
(#23)
Old

Car: 09 e92 335i sport
Default 08-17-2013, 09:54 PM

2 flashes of the turn signals for loging and 4 for not loging
(#24)
Old

Car: 335 e90 spt pack 6mt
Default 08-19-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
I don't even mind the laptop thing (since I like to pull over, check the log, and make changes right there); but start / stop with steering wheel controls is a great idea! I almost crash every time I try to start a log, just to find that it already started, then I have to abort the run, stop logging, turn around, and restart again LOL.
if there was a like button, I would have been on it for this post...

I would like to be able to log on a tab, but window tablets are too price, best bet for me was to get a defined travel path for logging...start at gas station...airport...gas station then home...Usually get 3 good logs that way
(#25)
Old

Default 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I have boost on fuel and stealth mode on, its helpful and its a cool feature, but I don't think its enough to assess in real time if the car is functioning well. Also, studying the gauges at WOT is about as scary as dodging flying laptops

Do you think this (steering wheel controls and saving to a storage device) would be easy enough to program into a future firmware update? Or is it a more involved process?

I'm not looking to manually adjust parameters, it would just be very nice to simplify the logging process so that we can keep tabs on the car's performance more easily.

I would imagine you would get some great data for use in development since people could immediately log any oddities as they occurred. Might also cut down on a lot of the "hey i was out driving and X happened, but i dont have logs" posts/tech support questions.