N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default Turbos on Their Last Leg? - 11-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Hey All, I have been encountering some odd issues in the last 3 weeks, and I could use the expertise of the forum to help shed some light on my N54 engine. I was thinking maybe its a wastegate that's getting stuck, maybe an aging solenoid. What is critical to note, is that the car runs strong and does not have an issue... at the moment.

Issue 1:
Once while driving Pasadena(not like anyone cares), I had very sluggish boost building, kind of like I had no vacuum or you are using Valet mode on the JB4. I turned the car off and turned it on again a few hours later, and the issue has not come back since.

Issue 2:
I was driving a few days later to work (not like anyone cares) and got the code 30FC. I cleared the code, and it came back again. I cleared it again and the issue has not come back since.

Issue 3:
Two weeks ago I was driving up through Box Canyon, and the car had a very loud exhaust sound at low RPM cruising (2k-3k rpm maybe). It sounded as if maybe the exhaust pipe fell off. I reved the engine, and that problem stopped. The issue has not come back since.

The car has been trouble free for quite a long time, and it seems like these issues crept in around the same time. I believe the problems are related, but the inconsistency has stumped me. The car runs strong and I have not had a problem since... What do you guys think?

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1