N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default WedgePerfomance Flash + JB4 = ABSOLUTE BEAST - 11-29-2013, 11:46 AM

First, a little history on my first experience with Wedge and what kind of guy he is...

Back in the Summer, when I first started messing around with the Open Source flashes from BMS, I completely bricked my car after the flash crashed during the write and put my ECU into recovery mode. I have a 2007 I8A0S MSD80 K-Line ECU and we all know how touchy these this things are with the flashing process. It's like they have a mind of their own. Anyway, at the time, no one knew all the ways this thing would react with different ECUs so I freaked out and was emailing the crap out of Terry about what to do. He put me in contact with Wedge to possibly help me re-flash my car back to BMW stock remotely using INPA and WinKFP. After getting in contact with Wedge, he loaded my laptop down with all kinds of goodies and started to work his magic. We ran into SEVERAL problems with my ECU because, for some reason, my original ECU assembly number is no longer in the S-Daten files but that didn't stop him. After 10+ hours on the phone and him doing some extensive research, we finally got everything sorted out and my car back to good health, better than it was before I messed it up and I was back to burning up the roads. LOL.

Ok, so that's a little history of my first experience with Wedge so let's now "flash" forward several months to where we are now...

A few weeks ago, I started getting "Bad File, ECU needs to be written with known good file" errors during the write, throwing my car back into recovery mode. Not such a big deal since because, thanks to Wedge, I've become a pro at re-flashing back to stock using INPA and WinKFP to get back running. But this time, I couldn't get the file to write at all even after several attempts. So, like always, I contacted Wedge to bail me out. After a few minutes on the phone explaining my problem, he said "Let me ask you something...are you interested in taking your car to the next level? Because I've been working on a little something that I think you might be interested in."

He sent me a new, more aggressive "Wedge Special" flash. To first fix my current issue, he told me to turn off my halos and pull the fuse on my Walbro 455 LPFP to save power and to stabilize the voltage. The flash wrote the very first time!! And let me tell you what...this flash is a freaking monster!!! Yes, it is a bit aggressive and not for the feint of heart but this thing will put a $hit eating grin on your face that will definitely be seen by the N54 gods.

The first time out testing the Wedge Performance Flash, two Yamaha R1s were on the interstate so I figured I'd see what it would do against those monsters. I went by them at 150+ mph and climbing. They had a very hard time even beginning to close on me and if it hadn't been for upcoming traffic, who knows what would have happened. Plus, I really didn't even stomp on it because I've been having HPFP issues and didn't want to go into LIMP mode while running these guys. Needless to say, the guys on the bikes were SHOCKED that a car could do that to them, much less a little ol 3-Series . LOL!! One of the guys had a Go-Pro on his helmet. I'm searching YouTube every day looking for the video.

Anyway, if you REALLY want to start having some fun with your N54, give Wedge a buzz at WedgePerformance@gmail.com along with your BIN .ORG file and your list of mods and he'll cook you up something custom that will absolutely BLISTER anything around.

Be sure to make a donation of appreciation too. He does this from home and solely out of love and devotion to the N54 community. He was also a major player in getting the Alpina B3 transmission flash to the USA and available for all of us. Wedge has always gone above and beyond anything I would ever have expected from someone that not once ever asked for anything in return. He's definitely one of the good guys

THANKS WEDGE!!! AWESOME WORK MAN!!!
(#2)
Old

Car: '07 335i e92
Default 11-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the kind words J. I truly appreciate everyone who has donated as it helps me keep pressing forward with R&D. To be honest, I have been playing with this flash all summer getting it to this point as a stand alone flash. Only after Terry was kind enough to send me a JB4 G5 ISO for tested did I realize the full potential. I also have this running on a few PROcede cars with the same results as it's just for boost control. So to help clarify, this can be ran stand only or in map 0 or any map you want. (I haven't tested map 5)

Also, I can change the timing table to help those who just want to run 30% ethanol or pump and meth. I can even go as far as to make it pump only. The tune will retain it's quick response, and smooth delivery of power, but allow for flexible use but maintain drive-ability.

I also have updated XDF tables which include 3D mapping of fuel scalars. Although I haven't had the time to map them out to include them in my flash, but will do so shortly. I'm not sure how that will impact fuel economy, but should help reduce the stress on the fueling system as we don't need to run 1.40 scalar all the time like we do today for 50% ethanol.

A few other things I'm looking at right now is a solution for the IJEOS cars which have timing flat-line issues. I have a few tests going on and hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

I'm also looking into a data logging solution for flash only which will give us everything we need to maximize the flash based tune which will also help in our quest to squeeze every HP/TQ out of this sleeping monster.

Thanks again and sorry for the long post. :D
(#3)
Old

Car: BMW 335I
Default 11-29-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967
Thanks for the kind words J. I truly appreciate everyone who has donated as it helps me keep pressing forward with R&D. To be honest, I have been playing with this flash all summer getting it to this point as a stand alone flash. Only after Terry was kind enough to send me a JB4 G5 ISO for tested did I realize the full potential. I also have this running on a few PROcede cars with the same results as it's just for boost control. So to help clarify, this can be ran stand only or in map 0 or any map you want. (I haven't tested map 5)

Also, I can change the timing table to help those who just want to run 30% ethanol or pump and meth. I can even go as far as to make it pump only. The tune will retain it's quick response, and smooth delivery of power, but allow for flexible use but maintain drive-ability.

I also have updated XDF tables which include 3D mapping of fuel scalars. Although I haven't had the time to map them out to include them in my flash, but will do so shortly. I'm not sure how that will impact fuel economy, but should help reduce the stress on the fueling system as we don't need to run 1.40 scalar all the time like we do today for 50% ethanol.

A few other things I'm looking at right now is a solution for the IJEOS cars which have timing flat-line issues. I have a few tests going on and hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

I'm also looking into a data logging solution for flash only which will give us everything we need to maximize the flash based tune which will also help in our quest to squeeze every HP/TQ out of this sleeping monster.

Thanks again and sorry for the long post. :D

Nice work, Thanks for taking the BB Flash where it was intended to go!
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 11-29-2013, 02:32 PM

Wedge also helped me flash back to stock after an issue with the BB flash and his customer service was top notch... just like Terry. Right now, I'm running the pump flash because I was spinning through 3rd gear with Terry's E85 flash... but I have a feeling I'll be in line to check this out as soon as it's warm enough to enjoy it again. All of you warm weather people.... keep the R&D going!

07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS *** | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

(#6)
Old

Car: 535 2008
Default 11-29-2013, 02:52 PM

so if we have a e95 flash tune on the car, how will the car run when we are only able to run 91?
(#7)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 11-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrejo
so if we have a e95 flash tune on the car, how will the car run when we are only able to run 91?
More like a grenade than a missile.

07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS *** | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

(#8)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 11-29-2013, 03:40 PM

How are people finding the addresses in the BINs and corresponding them to different things to make XDFs? Seems like it would be really hard guesswork. I was thinking maybe reverse engineering the COBB software (ha) but then how do THEY find it? And Dinan, etc. :P

2007 E90 335xi 6AT Premium Pkg | JB4 G5 ISO | Cheap custom exhaust: OBX ********* ***, Secondary *** Delete w/ Magnaflow Xpipe | WedgePerformance Backend Flash ("PUMP") | DCI | BMS Cowl Filters | Alpina TCU Software | M3 flappy paddles retrofit | NGK "one step colder" Soon: custom oil cooler retrofit, VRSF 7" FMIC
(#9)
Old

Default 11-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbho3k
How are people finding the addresses in the BINs and corresponding them to different things to make XDFs? Seems like it would be really hard guesswork. I was thinking maybe reverse engineering the COBB software (ha) but then how do THEY find it? And Dinan, etc. :P
Hex editor... I also had to sell my sole to the ... All to make your car

Forgot to mention... (me)> and Terry fixing all the issues with the JB4 I have caused along the way... But, that's a WIN WIN as we have more options and more safety features today because of we are pushing the limits and doing things that no one has done before... or maybe they didn't admit to it... haha Thanks T...
(#10)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 11-29-2013, 05:34 PM

I'll have to say I am very curious about this Wedge flash! Any benefits for a non-FBO 'IS' car running E50-60 on a custom map6 (17-18psi)? I am currently on the BMS Cobb flash and have exceeded the benefits of the RACE flash and haven't used enough ethanol to get the benefit of the E85 flash (Currently at E56).

You could call these flashes Wedgies.

335is DCT
(#11)
Old

Default 11-29-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musc
I'll have to say I am very curious about this Wedge flash! Any benefits for a non-FBO 'IS' car running E50-60 on a custom map6 (17-18psi)? I am currently on the BMS Cobb flash and have exceeded the benefits of the RACE flash and haven't used enough ethanol to get the benefit of the E85 flash (Currently at E56).

You could call these flashes Wedgies.
Only one way to find out, turn around for a minute. haha

Get a BT cable and send me a copy of your stock bin. WedgePerformance at Gmail
(#12)
Old
Bravest N54 Owner Award

Car: BMW 335xi
Cool 11-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Hex editor... I also had to sell my sole to the ... All to make your car

Forgot to mention... (me)> and Terry fixing all the issues with the JB4 I have caused along the way... But, that's a WIN WIN as we have more options and more safety features today because of we are pushing the limits and doing things that no one has done before... or maybe they didn't admit to it... haha Thanks T...
Hexeditor I know but... seems very very hard with no reference point :D Thanks for doing this.

:e vil:

2007 E90 335xi 6AT Premium Pkg | JB4 G5 ISO | Cheap custom exhaust: OBX ********* ***, Secondary *** Delete w/ Magnaflow Xpipe | WedgePerformance Backend Flash ("PUMP") | DCI | BMS Cowl Filters | Alpina TCU Software | M3 flappy paddles retrofit | NGK "one step colder" Soon: custom oil cooler retrofit, VRSF 7" FMIC

Last edited by coolbho3k; 11-29-2013 at 08:24 PM..
(#13)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 11-29-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86
First, a little history on my first experience with Wedge and what kind of guy he is...

Back in the Summer, when I first started messing around with the Open Source flashes from BMS, I completely bricked my car after the flash crashed during the write and put my ECU into recovery mode. I have a 2007 I8A0S MSD80 K-Line ECU and we all know how touchy these this things are with the flashing process. It's like they have a mind of their own. Anyway, at the time, no one knew all the ways this thing would react with different ECUs so I freaked out and was emailing the crap out of Terry about what to do. He put me in contact with Wedge to possibly help me re-flash my car back to BMW stock remotely using INPA and WinKFP. After getting in contact with Wedge, he loaded my laptop down with all kinds of goodies and started to work his magic. We ran into SEVERAL problems with my ECU because, for some reason, my original ECU assembly number is no longer in the S-Daten files but that didn't stop him. After 10+ hours on the phone and him doing some extensive research, we finally got everything sorted out and my car back to good health, better than it was before I messed it up and I was back to burning up the roads. LOL.

Ok, so that's a little history of my first experience with Wedge so let's now "flash" forward several months to where we are now...

A few weeks ago, I started getting "Bad File, ECU needs to be written with known good file" errors during the write, throwing my car back into recovery mode. Not such a big deal since because, thanks to Wedge, I've become a pro at re-flashing back to stock using INPA and WinKFP to get back running. But this time, I couldn't get the file to write at all even after several attempts. So, like always, I contacted Wedge to bail me out. After a few minutes on the phone explaining my problem, he said "Let me ask you something...are you interested in taking your car to the next level? Because I've been working on a little something that I think you might be interested in."

He sent me a new, more aggressive "Wedge Special" flash. To first fix my current issue, he told me to turn off my halos and pull the fuse on my Walbro 455 LPFP to save power and to stabilize the voltage. The flash wrote the very first time!! And let me tell you what...this flash is a freaking monster!!! Yes, it is a bit aggressive and not for the feint of heart but this thing will put a $hit eating grin on your face that will definitely be seen by the N54 gods.

The first time out testing the Wedge Performance Flash, two Yamaha R1s were on the interstate so I figured I'd see what it would do against those monsters. I went by them at 150+ mph and climbing. They had a very hard time even beginning to close on me and if it hadn't been for upcoming traffic, who knows what would have happened. Plus, I really didn't even stomp on it because I've been having HPFP issues and didn't want to go into LIMP mode while running these guys. Needless to say, the guys on the bikes were SHOCKED that a car could do that to them, much less a little ol 3-Series . LOL!! One of the guys had a Go-Pro on his helmet. I'm searching YouTube every day looking for the video.

Anyway, if you REALLY want to start having some fun with your N54, give Wedge a buzz at WedgePerformance@gmail.com along with your BIN .ORG file and your list of mods and he'll cook you up something custom that will absolutely BLISTER anything around.

Be sure to make a donation of appreciation too. He does this from home and solely out of love and devotion to the N54 community. He was also a major player in getting the Alpina B3 transmission flash to the USA and available for all of us. Wedge has always gone above and beyond anything I would ever have expected from someone that not once ever asked for anything in return. He's definitely one of the good guys

THANKS WEDGE!!! AWESOME WORK MAN!!!
This, +10!

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#14)
Old

Default 12-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Would there be any benefit for me to run this flash over the bms pump flash? I'm FBO without meth and don't have access to E85, so I run 94 octane.
(#15)
Old

Default 12-01-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s142nv
Would there be any benefit for me to run this flash over the bms pump flash? I'm FBO without meth and don't have access to E85, so I run 94 octane.
NO... Trust me, I've seen way to many people in the past week who think they can run this flash on less than E50 or don't have the car up to spec with good plugs and coils and it falls on it's face and bucks. Not to pick on you, but this flash isn't for everyone and if you put the flash on your car and something doesn't feel right or look right with the logs, you need to take it off...
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
NO... Trust me, I've seen way to many people in the past week who think they can run this flash on less than E50 or don't have the car up to spec with good plugs and coils and it falls on it's face and bucks. Not to pick on you, but this flash isn't for everyone and if you put the flash on your car and something doesn't feel right or look right with the logs, you need to take it off...
Ah... the voice of sanity.....how refreshing for a change.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#17)
Old

Default 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Flash is very aggressive. Very. Actually the most solid part is the top end. Midrange is agggreeeesssive.

2008 335i Coupe 6MT
JB4G5, DCI, Wagner FMIC
(#18)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 12-03-2013, 06:57 AM

Are you running a modified fuel rail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
Flash is very aggressive. Very. Actually the most solid part is the top end. Midrange is agggreeeesssive.
(#19)
Old

Default 12-03-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86
Are you running a modified fuel rail?
No, but I'm not running out of high pressure best I can tell?

2008 335i Coupe 6MT
JB4G5, DCI, Wagner FMIC
(#20)
Old

Car: 09 E92 SG
Default 12-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Wedge is awesome!

----------------------------------------------------
14 F30 335xi AT- Built Closed-Deck N55, SpeedTech Stage 3 w/ BW-8374C, MHD Flash, xHP Flash, E85, AFE Intake, VRSF 6" Race FMIC, VRSF CP, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP and PI
----------------------------------------------------
16 Audi S6 - APR Stage 2 ECU/TCU flash, APR Exhaust, SRM Intakes
(#21)
Old

Car: 08 135i , 06 325xi e90
Default 12-03-2013, 01:49 PM

i hope its clear to everyone this is a map to run at the track or for a cruise with buddies ... WITH e70, 105 + race gas and 100% meth.... otherwise

e92
(#22)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 12-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Which wedgeperformance flash?
I've already tested 4 wedge flash, with different timing settings, and I'm running e40.

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#23)
Old

Car: 08 135i , 06 325xi e90
Default 12-03-2013, 11:16 PM

Anything running 14 or above advance.

Wrong mixture or poor fuel you can melt a plug or pop a motor.

Log and be careful running that daily...

e92
(#24)
Old

Default 12-04-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd05
i hope its clear to everyone this is a map to run at the track or for a cruise with buddies ... WITH e70, 105 + race gas and 100% meth.... otherwise
This is my daily driver map and until you get into the throttle it's no different than the map you're running today. The power is on demand and if you drive the car decent you're not blowing the tires off... E50 and pump 92 without meth is all you need to keep from having timing drops. Not sure where you came to the conclusion you need e70, race gas and 100% meth to run this.

I don't recommend that people go out and try to run 22psi with this map in the cold. 18 psi taper to 16 will make your car a monster with this flash.

Not picking on you chuck, just try not to make assumptions.
(#25)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 12-04-2013, 02:12 AM

I'm running E40 verified with 93 pump gas, no meth, and even with the 15 wedge flash and 40F IATs, I don't have knock related timing drops.
But that's true that I'm not running 18 psi, as with this flash, running only 15-16 psi give you already more torque and more power than with BMS flash with 18 psi.

Wedge, I'll try your 13.5 flash soon and post logs.

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash