N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 335i xDrive
Default N55 seized after OFHG replacement - 04-19-2019, 10:29 PM

I will try to keep this as concise and objective as possible. An OFHG leak was brought to my attention after my belt tensioner began squeaking and caused me to inspect the area. I purchased an OEM oil filter housing seal and the attached oil cooler seal, along with a new belt and tensioner. The coolant and oil were completely drained; the housing unit, belt, and tensioner removed. The new seals were installed along with the tensioner and belt, and everything was tightened up to spec. All exposed oil passageways were carefully covered during the procedure and only re- exposed while reattaching the OFH unit. The car was refilled with 6.5L of oil, and the electric coolant bleeding procedure was ran until the coolant level remained @max and no air bubbles were being produced. The car was left idling for 5 minutes while I looked over for leaks, lights, and sounds. Everything checked out. I let the car sit for a half hour before driving it a careful 15 miles. It seized on an acceleration from idle to 3500rpm. The starter tries, but even manually cranking it is impossible. Waiting to clear a lift before opening her up and inspecting the damages.

The car is a 2011 335i xDrive 6AT with 74k miles on it, maintained meticulously with receipts for all service and recalls. The only currently active thread regarding this issue is attached below, but I figured I'd bring attention to this issue in the N55 motor.

codesx, if you run into this thread I spoke to a local BMW service manager who mentioned the bulletin posted for technicians to prime the engine before completed the procedure. However, I agree this is speculatively beneficial as idling the car for 5 minutes as mentioned should do just the same job. Correct me if I'm wrong. Will update with oil sample data and pictures if any internal damage is visible. Coolant remains at max and oil reads the same, so I cant imagine the two are mixed.

Comments, questions, and input will kindly occupy the void in my heart(& garage) while this all gets sorted.

N54 with same issue: N54 Seized after OFHG replacement - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#2)
Old

Car: 2013 bmw 335ix
Default 04-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Were the old seals hard to get off?
(#3)
Old

Car: 2011 335i xDrive
Default 04-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm276607@gmail.com
Were the old seals hard to get off?
Both seals easily came out in one piece while using a pick to lift up and remove them. They were stiffer than a new seal, with only slight degradation where oil or coolant were making contact with the seals.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2013 335i
Default 04-22-2019, 08:05 AM

I've done this replacement before on my N55 and no issues. Same procedure except I did the priming process as well, but that's just weird. I imagine if there was a oil pump/pressure issue it would have thrown a code before seizing. If no warnings occured and it just seized that's just odd.

2013 335i F30 N55 PWG | JB4 + MHD BEF + xHP Stg3 | Pure Stage 2 + FBO | BMS PI controller + Meth | Fuel-It! Stg2 LPFP

Last edited by suchtragedy; 04-22-2019 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Mispells
(#5)
Old

Car: 2009 335i M-Sport
Default 04-24-2019, 12:31 PM

What's real strange with all these threads is it seems that the engines don't just go to **** but they straight up seize. How the hell do they seize!? Spin a bearing or something, but seize? wtf