N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 N55 135is
Default Log check (HPFP failing?) - 09-06-2018, 12:33 PM

Been noticing lately that going WOT is producing a sputter and lack of power. From the logs it looks like my HPFP is crashing. I believe I have a 35-40% ethanol mix.
Is this the result of too much E85 or a setting not set properly? Is my WGDC supposed to be maxed out during half the run? Thanks!
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-06 13_39_03.csv (13.4 KB, 45 views)

2013 E82 135is N55 JB4-BEF FBO
(#2)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 09-10-2018, 08:07 AM

Your HPFP is crashing however your low pressure fuel seems to be good. How old is your fuel filter? A clogged/slightly clogged filter will crash your HPFP as its limiting low pressure fuel flow but not limiting low pressure fuel pressure.

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
HKS BOV, BMS DCI, BMS Meth Kit
JB4 w/MHD-BMS E85 Backend Flash
Custom Map 6 21.5 psi (E70 mix)
Walbro 450 LPFP - 4 Bar TMAP Sensor - Muff Delete
SAT Transmission Flash/retrofit (Thanks to Wedge!)
AD Engineering Oil thermostat - Rob Beck PCV Valve
Installed all the parts myself.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpro88
Your HPFP is crashing however your low pressure fuel seems to be good. How old is your fuel filter? A clogged/slightly clogged filter will crash your HPFP as its limiting low pressure fuel flow but not limiting low pressure fuel pressure.
I've never replaced the fuel filter. So around 60k miles on it.

(#4)
Old

Default 09-10-2018, 02:17 PM

How many on the HPFP? How often do you run e85?

DON'T buy VRSF D.Ps or inlets! I have them and their fitment sucks! Running their FMIC with no issues.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-10-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
How many on the HPFP? How often do you run e85?
I'd figure the same, I'm second owner since 30k miles. Doubt the filter has ever been changed.

I run a e30+ mix 90% of the time (30k miles)

(#6)
Old

Default 09-12-2018, 10:41 AM

After I installed a Walbro 450 LPFP I was shocked to see my logs, my LP fuel psi was right were it needed to be, however, my HP fuel psi was dropping with more boost. After I swapped out the fuel filter I no longer had issues with my HPFP not keeping up. It could be something else, however that was my issue.

(#7)
Old

Default 09-24-2018, 04:58 AM

I have a feeling I have something in my gas tank clogging up the fuel system.
Last year's hurricane had me siphoning fuel from the car with an older rubber hose. Which scraped a thin layer of rubber into the tank when I removed.

If the LPFP looks fine, how do I check to see if there is debris caught by the filter responsible for the HPFP?

(#8)
Old

Default 09-24-2018, 08:14 AM

You would need a way to measure flow. Fuel filters are cheap as in <$100, just replace the fuel filter.

(#9)
Old

Default 09-24-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You would need a way to measure flow. Fuel filters are cheap as in <$100, just replace the fuel filter.
Does the LPFP and HPFP share the same filter or 'sock' to trap debris? I'd like to do this myself, do you know of a diagram that shows the line/filter responsible for feeding the HPFP?

I'd assume both share the same filter mechanism? I'm pretty sure the HPFP isn't dying, I have good suspicion there is something in the tank clogging up the line.

(#10)
Old

Car: 2012 n55 135i
Default 09-24-2018, 12:38 PM

I just ordered one for my 2012, yesterday. I too, have been chasing fluctuating FP_H numbers ranging from 8-12. The pressure is stable, not fluctuating, but I never know what it's going to be on a given day or startup. $150 ish.

#2 on the diagram. I don't think a sock is available separately but this also serves as a pressure regulator.
Attached Images

(#11)
Old

Default 09-24-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb
I just ordered one for my 2012, yesterday. I too, have been chasing fluctuating FP_H numbers ranging from 8-12. The pressure is stable, not fluctuating, but I never know what it's going to be on a given day or startup. $150 ish.

#2 on the diagram. I don't think a sock is available separately but this also serves as a pressure regulator.
I wonder if that's the problem? What I've noticed is my HPFP logs would usually bottom out around 10-11 with a e30 mix. Now the HPFP crashes down to 6 almost immediately after WOT. So I've gone from normal HP logs to one that crashes quickly. Even on less E-content. Car misfires? when the crash happens, loses power. No codes.

Is that what you were experiencing? Yours sounds like more an E-content issue? I found the part you mentioned for around $160 shipped, just don't want to buy until 100% sure of the problem. I'll have a shop do a test on the fuel sensors and see if they pick up anything abnormal before buying.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-24 11_08_22.csv (14.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by inevitab1e; 09-24-2018 at 07:25 PM..
(#12)
Old

Default 09-24-2018, 02:26 PM

Look for a trend. One year ago I was consistently at 11, then 10, then 9. Now, there are days at 8 but I might get 10 on a different day. However, 11 is rare now.

I don't think HPFP would fade away like that.

It makes sense for a filter to cause more severe problems as fuel demand rises. On these cars the pressure regulator is part of the filter kit so you'd be addressing to problems/parts with one job.
(#13)
Old

Default 09-24-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Look for a trend. One year ago I was consistently at 11, then 10, then 9. Now, there are days at 8 but I might get 10 on a different day. However, 11 is rare now.

I don't think HPFP would fade away like that.

It makes sense for a filter to cause more severe problems as fuel demand rises. On these cars the pressure regulator is part of the filter kit so you'd be addressing to problems/parts with one job.
Mine has been fine and then all of a sudden a month ago this started happening. It's gradually gotten worse. Easy to install the part? Got a DIY you could share? Gonna purchase now.

Last edited by inevitab1e; 09-24-2018 at 07:24 PM..
(#14)
Old

Default 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM

The filter is also the regulator as well. There is a spring loaded valve on the bottom of it, once 80 psi is hit, the valve opens to relieve pressure.
Inside the white fuel pump bucket is a smaller housing for the low pressure fuel pump, this pump has a screen on it which blocks large particles, then from the fuel pump the gas flows through the fuel filter (activated charcoal filter) where small debris are filtered out, then from there the gas gets sent to the front of the car/to the high pressure fuel pump.

I guess you could also determine load the fuel pump by seeing how many amps its pulling, if its pulling more than it should at idle, there might be an obstruction in the fuel filter.

E-85 will eat any type of rubber, weather its gate submersible fuel line or a rubber band, it will slowly deteriorate and dissolve the rubber and it will get built up in the fuel filter. After you pull out the old fuel filter, try to run compressed air through it, if the air isn't blowing out the other end with ease, then your filter is clogged/needs replacement.

Diagnosing a car over the internet is nearly impossible.My car is my daily, I typically order more parts than are needed and return the unused parts so the car is down as little as possible.

PS: Make sure you're tank is low on gas before you start the filter swap, as well as make sure you have enough gas in the car after you do the swap to start the car.

(#15)
Old

Default 09-30-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
The filter is also the regulator as well. There is a spring loaded valve on the bottom of it, once 80 psi is hit, the valve opens to relieve pressure.
Inside the white fuel pump bucket is a smaller housing for the low pressure fuel pump, this pump has a screen on it which blocks large particles, then from the fuel pump the gas flows through the fuel filter (activated charcoal filter) where small debris are filtered out, then from there the gas gets sent to the front of the car/to the high pressure fuel pump.

I guess you could also determine load the fuel pump by seeing how many amps its pulling, if its pulling more than it should at idle, there might be an obstruction in the fuel filter.

E-85 will eat any type of rubber, weather its gate submersible fuel line or a rubber band, it will slowly deteriorate and dissolve the rubber and it will get built up in the fuel filter. After you pull out the old fuel filter, try to run compressed air through it, if the air isn't blowing out the other end with ease, then your filter is clogged/needs replacement.

Diagnosing a car over the internet is nearly impossible.My car is my daily, I typically order more parts than are needed and return the unused parts so the car is down as little as possible.

PS: Make sure you're tank is low on gas before you start the filter swap, as well as make sure you have enough gas in the car after you do the swap to start the car.
Had new fuel filter/regulator installed and issue is still there. Even on lower octane the HPFP crashes to 6 almost immediately after WOT. Car misfiring when it happens?

What else could this be? I don't think it's the HPFP as I don't have issues with starting the car or long cranks. Only time this problem happens is WOT.

Would a LPFP upgrade be the next step to try? I don't plan on going over 500whp. I noticed a lot of options on the Fuel-it website, not sure which direction to go. Don't want to buy unless I know it'll fix problem.

(#16)
Old

Default 09-30-2018, 07:57 AM

I’ve already received LPFP, filter/regulator, HPFP. My plan is to do LPFP and filter together since they are next to each other and easy. As per above, maybe the charcoal filter would be a good second step since I don’t have long crank problem and the FP_H could go up to 11 at any given moment and stay there.

HPFP will be my last step since it seems least likely and is also the most difficult of the parts to replace.
(#17)
Old

Default 10-01-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e
Had new fuel filter/regulator installed and issue is still there. Even on lower octane the HPFP crashes to 6 almost immediately after WOT. Car misfiring when it happens?

What else could this be? I don't think it's the HPFP as I don't have issues with starting the car or long cranks. Only time this problem happens is WOT.

Would a LPFP upgrade be the next step to try? I don't plan on going over 500whp. I noticed a lot of options on the Fuel-it website, not sure which direction to go. Don't want to buy unless I know it'll fix problem.
Are you logging any of these runs? There is not much anyone can do just by going off symptoms. If low pressure fuel is not dipping below 65 PSI, I wouldn't even look at your low pressure fuel pump. Keep in mind that your car doesn't need to have long cranks or issues starting to have a failing HPFP. Turn off auto code clearing and see if the engine throws any codes. Don't keep on trying to push the car when you have fueling issues as running lean is never good. If you HPFP is crashing and your car has less than 120K miles, it might be covered under BMWs extended warranty they placed on their HPFPs. You will want to remove all after market modifications and make sure you don't have any E85 in the tank before taking it to a dealer for a warranty claim. If anything, take it to the dealer and get it diagnosed, then send it to an indy or do the repair yourself once they tell you whats wrong.

(#18)
Old

Default 10-01-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Iíve already received LPFP, filter/regulator, HPFP. My plan is to do LPFP and filter together since they are next to each other and easy. As per above, maybe the charcoal filter would be a good second step since I donít have long crank problem and the FP_H could go up to 11 at any given moment and stay there.

HPFP will be my last step since it seems least likely and is also the most difficult of the parts to replace.
The HPFP replacement is easy. remove the engine cover, remove/disconnect the charge pipe, remove the intake manifold, then the HPFP is right there. Use an impact tool and penetrating fluid to remove bolts to minimize risk of breaking/stripping seized hardware. Use a torque wrench to torque down bolts to spec. You'd want to order a gasket set for the intake manifold, you might be able to reuse the old ones but why risk a boost leak and more time for $20?

The low pressure fuel filter has a charcoal filter in it... adding another filter would be pointless.

(#19)
Old

Car: bmw e82
Default 02-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Could you solve the problem?

I put the 2 new pumps and I still have the same problem?
(#20)
Old

Car: 2009 335i xdrive coupe MT
Default 02-18-2019, 06:10 PM

My car today died while driving and starts back up and dies in 3-5 sec and other times just keeps cranking no start. I have the following codes.

DME Active Codes
29DB Smooth Running, segment timing

DME Shadow Codes
2E18 Firing Cyl 1
2E19 Firing Cyl 2
2E1A Firing Cyl 3
2E1B Firing Cyl 4
2E1C Firing Cyl 5
2E1D Firing Cyl 6
2E77 Firing, Voltage supply
2FCA Fuel High Pressure
2FDA Fuel High Pressure
2FDB Fuel High Pressure

Any help would be appreciated. Im thinking hpfp but not sure.
(#21)
Old

Default 02-18-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR
Could you solve the problem?

I put the 2 new pumps and I still have the same problem?
2 pumps? I'm assuming 2 walbro 450's? How are they wired? How old is your alternator? How old is your battery?

(#22)
Old

Default 02-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_n54_e92
My car today died while driving and starts back up and dies in 3-5 sec and other times just keeps cranking no start. I have the following codes.

DME Active Codes
29DB Smooth Running, segment timing

DME Shadow Codes
2E18 Firing Cyl 1
2E19 Firing Cyl 2
2E1A Firing Cyl 3
2E1B Firing Cyl 4
2E1C Firing Cyl 5
2E1D Firing Cyl 6
2E77 Firing, Voltage supply
2FCA Fuel High Pressure
2FDA Fuel High Pressure
2FDB Fuel High Pressure

Any help would be appreciated. Im thinking hpfp but not sure.
If you have low pressure fuel pressure, then its probably your HPFP. Typically when you have misfires on all cylinders, you're not getting enough fuel pressure at the HPF rail. Either your lpfp is failing/failed and cannot supply the HPFP with enough fuel or your high pressure fuel pump is failing/failed. You could have a clogged fuel filter, which in that case you will see your LPF pressure will probably be above 50 psi for a split second, then it will drop very fast once ignition started - simply a clogged fuel filter will limit the flow of fuel - if its flowing as a slower rate than the HPFP requires, the low pressure fuel pressure will drop very fast.

I see you're a new member, not to be rude or anything but start a new thread for your problem in the correct subcategory, you'll find you'll get more help that way.