N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 2015 BMW X6 35i
Default 10-15-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav
100% with methanol to get 500wHP and have it run solid. Methanol isn't as much as a burden as people make it out to be. Get a decent sized tank and you really won't have to worry about it too much unless you're doing extensive track days. In those cases, just prepare ahead of time and bring out extra methanol with you.

I run a 3 gallon tank and methanol PI on my PS2 M2 and haven't regretted it once.
How often do you fill up the tank?

Project Succubus - 2015 Estoril Blue M235i F23
Sponsors: SoloWerks, Extreme PowerHouse, and AEM Intake Systems
(#27)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 10-16-2018, 03:39 AM

Has anyone got any real world experience with one of these yet and/or looked into how well it performs?

Appreciate it's only just been released but, if I think back to the introduction of something like the FuelIt PI rail I seem to remember Steve completing extensive R&D to make sure the product delivered what it should, including things such as fuel wash and even whether the material/coating could stand up the the chemicals used such as Meth, E etc.

If Terry is stocking then I'm guessing all is good......

Thanks

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#28)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-16-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyap
Has anyone got any real world experience with one of these yet and/or looked into how well it performs?

Appreciate it's only just been released but, if I think back to the introduction of something like the FuelIt PI rail I seem to remember Steve completing extensive R&D to make sure the product delivered what it should, including things such as fuel wash and even whether the material/coating could stand up the the chemicals used such as Meth, E etc.

If Terry is stocking then I'm guessing all is good......

Thanks
I've been testing one since Nov 2016 when I got my first test batch
Haven't had any issues at all.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#29)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedX
How often do you fill up the tank?
3 gal tank will take a long time to deplete, I'd say at least 2 weeks. It also depends on how much you drive and how heavy your foot is

I would go with the intake manifold and meth PI. From your sig, it looks like 500whp may only be the beginning? So you won't be limited if you ever wanted to move up.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#30)
Old

Default 10-16-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
3 gal tank will take a long time to deplete, I'd say at least 2 weeks. It also depends on how much you drive and how heavy your foot is

I would go with the intake manifold and meth PI. From your sig, it looks like 500whp may only be the beginning? So you won't be limited if you ever wanted to move up.
I was messaging fuel it on FB and they said to not do meth through the intake port injection. Can we get some clarification?
Attached Images

(#31)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-16-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I was messaging fuel it on FB and they said to not do meth through the intake port injection. Can we get some clarification?
You can do it either way, through the chargepipe or intake manifold.

Burger Motorsports

(#32)
Old

Car: 2014 BMW 435i xdrive
Default 10-16-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
It looks like you were asking about the various kits they offer (Fuel Line Packages).
Platinum Kit is not for Meth Injection. That is what they are saying, you just want the Direct Port Inj Meth Kit.
(#33)
Old

Default 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizza
It looks like you were asking about the various kits they offer (Fuel Line Packages).
Platinum Kit is not for Meth Injection. That is what they are saying, you just want the Direct Port Inj Meth Kit.
I want the intake manifold though, not just the spacer, which is why I'm trying to clarify this.

(#34)
Old
Legend

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 10-16-2018, 03:44 PM

You shouldn't buy a "Kit" from Fuel-IT. Tell them you're buying the manifold and want to run methanol port injection. Ask them for the extras you will need.

2011 E92 335i Auto
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
11.7 @ 120MPH E30 MHD / 0-60 3.66
Sold

2014 E84 X1 35i 12.85 @ 107MPH / 0-60 4.72 / 293 AWHP 305 AWTQ When stock
VRSF Chargepipe | BMS Intake | JB4 ISO | N20 TMAP | VRSF 7" Intercooler | ER Turbo Outlet |
(#35)
Old

Car: BMW M2
Default 10-16-2018, 08:31 PM

Placed my order this afternoon. Pumped to get this installed on the M2!

Quote:

Yup. Mine lasts roughly 2 weeks, I'd have to try really hard to empty it in less time than that.

Quote:
I want the intake manifold though, not just the spacer, which is why I'm trying to clarify this.
You need the intake manifold and all the fittings (included in a-la-cart), injectors, and the direct port methanol line which Fuel-It sells. It's a braided line which on one end has a -6AN fitting that attaches to the fuel rail, and on the other end has a push-connect fitting that connects to standard methanol tubing.

Fuel-It has the manifold on their website. For an F-series N55 you would go to the following website and from the drop-down menus you would select...

https://www.fuel-it.com/bmw-phoenix-...ort-injection/
  • Platform Type - Pick whatever is applicable for you
  • Fuel Line Package - Direct Port Methanol Injection
  • Injectors - 550cc or 750cc Injectors
  • Port Injection Controller - BMS JB4 Controller

I'm running the 550cc injectors on my M2 which is running 21 psi on the PS2 turbos. I don't see a reason to go to the 750cc injectors unless I were to get a bigger turbo, and even then I don't think I would need anything bigger.

The reason they mentioned the platinum kit is that the platinum kit is used for people running gasoline / ethanol through their port injection. That kit includes a T-piece which attaches to the OEM feed line and splits it to feed the fuel rail. You don't need this for methanol port injection.

'17 BMW M2 - [DCT/N55] - PureTurbos Stage 2 Turbo - JB4 + MHD BEF - Fuel-It Methanol PI

Last edited by Endeav; 10-16-2018 at 08:42 PM..
(#36)
Old

Default 10-16-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:

Yup. Mine lasts roughly 2 weeks, I'd have to try really hard to empty it in less time than that.

You need the intake manifold and all the fittings (included in a-la-cart), injectors, and the direct port methanol line which Fuel-It sells. It's a braided line which on one end has a -6AN fitting that attaches to the fuel rail, and on the other end has a push-connect fitting that connects to standard methanol tubing.

Fuel-It has the manifold on their website. For an F-series N55 you would go to the following website and from the drop-down menus you would select...

https://www.fuel-it.com/bmw-phoenix-...ort-injection/
  • Platform Type - Pick whatever is applicable for you
  • Fuel Line Package - Direct Port Methanol Injection
  • Injectors - 550cc or 750cc Injectors
  • Port Injection Controller - BMS JB4 Controller

I'm running the 550cc injectors on my M2 which is running 21 psi on the PS2 turbos. I don't see a reason to go to the 750cc injectors unless I were to get a bigger turbo, and even then I don't think I would need anything bigger.

The reason they mentioned the platinum kit is that the platinum kit is used for people running gasoline / ethanol through their port injection. That kit includes a T-piece which attaches to the OEM feed line and splits it to feed the fuel rail. You don't need this for methanol port injection.
Would I still need to upgrade the lpfp or no since I'm gonna run meth? Planning on either 75/25 or 100%

(#37)
Old

Car: 2011 E93 335i N55
Default 10-17-2018, 01:58 AM

Will there be an option in the future to have 1/8 npt bungs instead of the fuel injector bungs?
(#38)
Old

Default 10-17-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Would I still need to upgrade the lpfp or no since I'm gonna run meth? Planning on either 75/25 or 100%
Since you're planning on running meth, then no, you will not need the LPFP.

You'd only need that LPFP upgrade if you were planning on running ethanol in your gas tank.

'17 BMW M2 - [DCT/N55] - PureTurbos Stage 2 Turbo - JB4 + MHD BEF - Fuel-It Methanol PI
(#39)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-17-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal4444
Will there be an option in the future to have 1/8 npt bungs instead of the fuel injector bungs?
We were going to do this but we opted out of it. Since there have been many issues with methanol nozzles in PI applications. That's why with these injectors you can it for either Meth PI or regular PI.

Burger Motorsports

(#40)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-17-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Just got it out

Burger Motorsports

(#41)
Old

Default 10-17-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Just got it out
Got the ship notification earlier! Looks like it'll arrive tomorrow

Hopefully I have some time in the evening to get it installed. Thanks for getting it out so quickly!

(#42)
Old

Default 10-18-2018, 01:51 PM

Just received my Phoenix Racing manifold a-la-cart. For anyone confused as to what this package entails, here is a photo of the hardware you receive with the manifold and fuel rail.

The manifold and fuel rail are absolutely beautiful. The inside of the manifold is painted just as well as the inside is, and I don't see any manufacturer residue marks. I'll get some pictures of it installed in my M2 this weekend!

Last edited by Endeav; 10-18-2018 at 01:58 PM..
(#43)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Maybe this should help?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#44)
Old

Default 10-18-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe this should help?
I'll be honest and say immediately after hitting submit on that post I went back and started fiddling with the manifold and hardware some more and figured it out within five minutes lol. What are the silver "standoffs" used for? That's the only thing I can't seem to figure out, but I imagine once I get to installing it I could figure it out.

Edited my post and removed my "criticism". Those pictures you've supplied reinforce that what I figured out was correct haha. This piece is perfect, and the number of options it provides with the additional vacuum sources on the bottom is quite impressive. Can't wait to get this thing on!

(#45)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'll be honest and say immediately after hitting submit on that post I went back and started fiddling with the manifold and hardware some more and figured it out within five minutes lol. What are the silver "standoffs" used for? That's the only thing I can't seem to figure out, but I imagine once I get to installing it I could figure it out.

Edited my post and removed my "criticism". Those pictures you've supplied reinforce that what I figured out was correct haha. This piece is perfect, and the number of options it provides with the additional vacuum sources on the bottom is quite impressive. Can't wait to get this thing on!
Awesome!! The silver spacers are if you have different type/longer injectors for people who are piecing kits together.

Burger Motorsports

(#46)
Old

Default 10-19-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Awesome!! The silver spacers are if you have different type/longer injectors for people who are piecing kits together.
Makes sense!

Started installing this tonight. Got the OEM intake manifold out of the car, and started swapping over the DME, throttle body, etc. I ran into two small issues which I can remedy in the morning when stores open.

First issue was that there weren't replacement throttle body bolts in the N55 hardware kit. This might be intentional, and if it is then ignore this issue entirely. Otherwise, I don't know if this is M2 specific, but the OEM bolts used to secure the throttle body to the intake manifold are the plastic-chewing coarse thread variety and obviously won't work with an aluminum intake manifold. Not a problem, thread pitch and bolt length seem pretty standard and I can find some nice stainless ones at the hardware store.

Second issue was that the smaller "cap" NPT fitting that would block off the threaded port between the 5th and 6th injector was one size too small. The NPT to AN fitting that goes in that spot fits and threads in perfectly, but the fitting that was supplied with the kit that is supposed to be used to "cap" that spot doesn't fit. The fitting that I am talking about is the black fitting on the far left of the hardware picture I attached in a previous post. Again, not a huge issue. It's a standard thread pitch and I can find a fitting locally to get that resolved!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and upload them once I get everything bolted back together.

(#47)
Old

Default 10-21-2018, 07:22 AM

Got this intake manifold installed last night. Was able to remedy the aforementioned problems nice and easy. This piece looks incredible in the engine bay. The actual install wasn't too bad, I ran into two snags, however.

First issue was that one of the DME connectors - the one second from the left splits in two directions. The bundle of wires that goes toward the bottom of the engine bay heads into this "junction box" that is attached to one of the HPFP feed lines via a bracket (See picture below). Just to give you a landmark on that photo - you can see the throttle body chargepipe connection in the bottom right. The junction box is located to the right of the HPFP and essentially right below the intake manifold / behind the throttle body. Now the issue was that the bundle that goes to the DME connector from this junction box is slightly too short to reach the new DME position when its mounted to the Phoenix Racing intake manifold. With the new manifold the DME now sits slightly more horizontal, and you need an extra 2 inches on that bundle of wires to get it to clip in without straining the wires. Luckily this was an easy fix. I simply undid the mounting bracket and was able to move that junction box over to accommodate new DME position.

Second issue I ran into might be M2 specific. The M2 uses 5 studs and two bolts to hold the intake manifold to the head. The two OEM bolts are about 10mm too long to actually hold the Phoenix Racing manifold to the head, they bottom out in the threaded hole before the head of the bolt makes contact with the manifold. This is simply because the mounting surface of the Phoenix Racing manifold is thinner than that of the OEM plastic intake manifold. Again, easy fix! I picked up two M7 x 40mm bolts to replace the M7 x 50mm OEM bolts and got the intake manifold installed.

All in all this is a very nice product. It fits nicely in the engine bay and looks absolutely gorgeous. It also makes servicing the port injection component of the vehicle 10x easier because I no longer have to remove the intake manifold to access the injectors.

Hopefully BMS can remedy some of the hardware issues I experienced quickly so that no one else has to go through buying additional hardware.

(#48)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-22-2018, 08:18 AM

Thank you for the feedback, so for your car you just needed x2 M7 x 40mm bolts?

Looks really good in that engine bay.

Burger Motorsports

(#49)
Old

Default 10-22-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback, so for your car you just needed x2 M7 x 40mm bolts?

Looks really good in that engine bay.
Thanks! I'm by no means disappointed with the product, so if my review shows any ounce of that, disregard it! Super impressed. I figure I'm probably one of the first to do this on an N55 so it might just be the "growing pains" of a new product.

In total I needed x4 M8 x 50mm bolts to bolt the throttle body to the intake manifold, and x2 M7 x 40mm bolts to bolt to the intake manifold to the head.

(#50)
Old

Car: M2
Default 10-24-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm by no means disappointed with the product, so if my review shows any ounce of that, disregard it! Super impressed. I figure I'm probably one of the first to do this on an N55 so it might just be the "growing pains" of a new product.

In total I needed x4 M8 x 50mm bolts to bolt the throttle body to the intake manifold, and x2 M7 x 40mm bolts to bolt to the intake manifold to the head.
It's awesome to see how far you've taken this M2!
I may just stay on this board and follow your build thread if you have one!

Getting tired of being berated by some on other boards for not having a true 'M' car as they put it lol.