N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M240i
Default Map 1 Logs - 06-16-2018, 03:56 PM

Hello all,

I've done a few pulls and posting the logs for your review. The first two are back to back with a relatively cold engine/car. If, you call 100 degree ambient cold... lol. I live in the desert, so it's warm these days.

Second logs are back to back, but with the car fully up to temp. I'm in a 2018 M240i that's completely stock, other than the JB4, and on 91oct California piss gas. I don't have the wastegate or fuel harnesses. It's just the stock JB4 connected to the MAP and TMAP sensors.

My interpretation is that everything looks good, given the high ambient outside. I know that these temps aren't ideal to tune in, but my thoughts are
that more timing and slightly leaner AFR's will result with cooler weather. Either way, everything looks stable and in control. Please let me know your thoughts.
Attached Files
File Type: csv First Pull - Cold.csv (6.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: csv Second Pull - Cold.csv (7.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: csv Third Pull - At Temp.csv (7.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: csv Fourth Pull - At Temp.csv (7.3 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by JBoe; 06-16-2018 at 09:56 PM..
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: BMW E90 335XI
Default 06-16-2018, 04:31 PM

Logs are too short to evaluate. Logging should be done as follows: traction control off, 3rd or 4th gear, start around 2k RPM- 100% WOT, to redline, shift, end log.

Bmw E90 2007 AT 335xi MSD80,Jb4 G5 ISO,
Full Bolt Ons, Ps2 turbos, TFT inlet system,xHP Stage 3

Do more with less !
(#3)
Old

Default 06-16-2018, 04:35 PM

That's exactly what I did. Only the first log ended short. The other three show around 2krpm to redline where I shifted to 4th. All are pulls in third gear. Did you only look at first log?
Attached Images

(#4)
Old

Default 06-16-2018, 05:15 PM

Since I'm on Map 1, an additive map, it looks good to me. Well within 1psi across the range. Trims never max out (50), highest I see is 45 and they come back down after. AFR's look good, except little rich up top. IAT's seem in range for my current ambient and on track for the pull. Timing drops during the onset of boost and through peak torque curve, but comes back afterwards. I'd assume timing would be better during the torque curve if ambient temps were lower. Car runs clean, pulls hard, never skips a beat and makes way more power than stock. I'm only at 7k miles on the odo. No check engine lights or codes.

Lpfp isn't raising an alarm for me, but I'll see what BMS states. It looks similar to other stock vehicle maps I've seen. I've tuned many vehicles over many years, but never on the JB4 and didn't have different fuel pumps. Just good old single pumps. Lol. All my experience points to it being fine, but I've been wrong before. Hopefully BMS can shed some more light on things.

Remember it's 100 degree ambient with low humidity. I'm in the desert.

Last edited by JBoe; 06-16-2018 at 08:15 PM..
(#5)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 06-19-2018, 06:13 PM

Your logs were done just fine. That's what mine all look like, but with different maps/settings.

Your DME Boost Target is high, even though you are only running 91 octane, because that's how the stock B58 DME targets with high ambient and high IAT's. As a result, timing will be reduced, and AFR will be richer. Colder weather will result in lower DME BT, higher timing, and leaner AFR.

My preference is the absolute target maps, since you have a lot more control over the Boost Target. You need the EWG wires for that, and I think the FF wires help control AFR a little bit, especially at tip in.

LPFP means nothing on the B58 since we don't have a sensor.

Otherwise, car looks like it's pretty fun. Got any E85 close by to bump up the octane?

2018 Audi RS3 | Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#6)
Old

Default 06-19-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Your logs were done just fine. That's what mine all look like, but with different maps/settings.

Your DME Boost Target is high, even though you are only running 91 octane, because that's how the stock B58 DME targets with high ambient and high IAT's. As a result, timing will be reduced, and AFR will be richer. Colder weather will result in lower DME BT, higher timing, and leaner AFR.

My preference is the absolute target maps, since you have a lot more control over the Boost Target. You need the EWG wires for that, and I think the FF wires help control AFR a little bit, especially at tip in.

LPFP means nothing on the B58 since we don't have a sensor.

Otherwise, car looks like it's pretty fun. Got any E85 close by to bump up the octane?
Thanks Bullitt... the car is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I don't know of any E85 nearby. I can get 110 race gas at the pump, but I'm actually happy with maximizing 91 and keeping it simple.

My next thoughts are to use my logs to build a boost trend similar to Map 1 and put it into Map 6 as absolute. Do a few pulls to see if I can match up with Map 1 and go from there. If EWG and FF are needed, I'll get them. Thanks again, for the review.
(#7)
Old

Default 06-20-2018, 09:46 PM

I loaded Map 6 and set boost at:

1500 - 12
2000 - 13
2500 - 14
3000 - 15
3500 - 16
4000+ - 17

I accidentally erased my log, but it was damn near perfect. No throttle closures, smooth pull, great air and trims. It didn't have the same grunt feeling around mid range, but that looks to be due to lower overall boost spike in that range when compared to Map 1. Car held 17 to redline within +/- 0.5 psi. I'm going to bump up the mid and taper down towards redline... then re-log. What a difference though.
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
I loaded Map 6 and set boost at:

1500 - 12
2000 - 13
2500 - 14
3000 - 15
3500 - 16
4000+ - 17

I accidentally erased my log, but it was damn near perfect. No throttle closures, smooth pull, great air and trims. It didn't have the same grunt feeling around mid range, but that looks to be due to lower overall boost spike in that range when compared to Map 1. Car held 17 to redline within +/- 0.5 psi. I'm going to bump up the mid and taper down towards redline... then re-log. What a difference though.
Nice! Get another log and post it up, make sure to save it this time though

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 06-21-2018, 08:21 PM

I didn't delete it this time... I think everything looks good. Should come in a bit better after a few more pulls. The temp outside was a cool 85 degrees at 7am this morning and the car was at full temp.

Boost Settings:
1500 - 13
2000 - 14
2500 - 15
3000 - 16
3500 - 17
4000 - 18
4500 - 18
5000 - 18
5500 - 18
6000+ - 17

The car is smooth and pulls hard. Didn't skip a beat, even at 108 degrees on my way home. No stutter during part throttles either. It looks like this is about the limit without adding Meth, E85, Race Gas and/or EWG/FF harnesses. Please let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 18PSI_Pull.csv (6.9 KB, 27 views)
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Everything except timing looks good in the log. You have a lot of timing drops through the rev range. I Would turn it down another 2 psi for this octane. If you add some racegas or e85 you should be good but you might want to add FF for fuel trims.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old

Default 06-22-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Everything except timing looks good in the log. You have a lot of timing drops through the rev range. I Would turn it down another 2 psi for this octane. If you add some racegas or e85 you should be good but you might want to add FF for fuel trims.
Have you compared them to my Map 1 logs above? My boost is actually lower overall compared to Map 1 and timing is similar. If I lower the boost 2psi, I'd be less than Map 1 offers. Please advise.
(#12)
Old

Default 06-22-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
I put together a compare in excel. Kept it simple. Looking at boost, trims, timing and a few others. Each set compares map 1 to map 6 logs. I had to skip a few rows to keep rpms on track within each map. I see less boost most of the time, when compared to map 1 and more timing on map 6 than there was with map 1.

Trims are higher, but that appears to be due to the cooler IAT's. Map 1 had weeks worth of pulls to learn and my Map 6 is a pull after driving for about 15 minutes after loading. Should I raise FOL to adjust trims down or does that only work with FF harness? I look forward to your review of the compare. If there's some other info you'd like to see side by side, let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Compare.xls (30.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by JBoe; 06-22-2018 at 11:42 PM..
(#13)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 12:44 AM

Need help asap! I traveled today to visit my parents. Temps were a lot cooler there, mid 70's vs my 100+. The car started stuttering a lot under full throttle. I figured my map 6 was too aggressive, went to map 1. Still lots of stutter. Went to Map 0 and still stutters. Please review my attached logs and let me know what you think.

It looks like the car is just over boosting? Timing is gone... maybe bad gas? Car has been great before this trip. Even after returning home to 90+ it continues to stutter through the pulls on Map 0.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Map 0.csv (10.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: csv Map 1A.csv (8.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: csv Map 1B.csv (8.9 KB, 44 views)
(#14)
Old

Car: 2017 m240xi
Default 06-24-2018, 02:01 AM

You need better gas bud. I dunno why no one is telling you that your timing is just absolutely unacceptable even from your very first log. Your car is seriously pulling timing. Now its overboosting coz its trying to compensate and by doing so your getting throttle closures. You need better gas or dont run the jb4 at all.
(#15)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Makes sense, given it happens on map 0. What's really weird is that it happens on map 0. Factory tune should be fine on 91 octane given that's all we have access to in California. Timing was consistent with what other California cars have posted except for my last logs. On those it's horrible. I'll throw some 111 race gas in and see what happens. That may be my new norm if it works. (3gal 111/10gal 91 = 95ish octane)
(#16)
Old
Legend

Default 06-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Need help asap! I traveled today to visit my parents. Temps were a lot cooler there, mid 70's vs my 100+. The car started stuttering a lot under full throttle. I figured my map 6 was too aggressive, went to map 1. Still lots of stutter. Went to Map 0 and still stutters. Please review my attached logs and let me know what you think.

It looks like the car is just over boosting? Timing is gone... maybe bad gas? Car has been great before this trip. Even after returning home to 90+ it continues to stutter through the pulls on Map 0.
I stay away from ANY of the additive maps with my MPPSK flash tune. The M_40's have similar flash tuning and both target higher than regular B58's. You will see DME BT fluctuate all the time, which makes for horrible driveability. Basically, we are already maxing out the DME BT and the JB4 is trying to make it higher. It just doesn't work for us.

If you haven't gotten any limp modes or codes yet, you're probably fine. Just don't keep going WOT in any map besides 0 or 4 until you get it figured out.

If you look at your Map 0 log, your DME BT started out higher than I've ever seen in any log (20 PSI). This is mostly due to your initial 147-degree IAT. The DME will target higher boost and lower timing when there's high IAT. Over multiple WOT pulls, DME BT will lower and timing will go up. But this only happens in Map 0/4. FYI, Map 4 allows gauge hijacking, Map 0 does not. Otherwise they are identical.

Like others have said, you need higher octane to run this level of boost. Once DME BT starts fluctuating, throttle and AFR turns into crap. But stick with Map 0/4 until you get nice, smooth logs.
Attached Images

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM

Map1 seems OK to me in the first batch of logs. Timing is in the tank but that is going to happen with 91 octane. Second batch looks like a fuel quality issue. Not sure its even 91. In those situations going to map0 or just not racing the car around makes sense. You need octane to make power on these.

I noticed you have the FUD.7 setting entered. Normally if you're having some issue going to FUD = 0 is a good first move to rule it out. As mentioned IAT is really high in the log and could be having an effect on the stuttering.

Map1 is just adding 2-3psi here and keeping the throttle more open. I tend to prefer it even for MPPK cars but as you'll find some people have other preferences, and the JB4 is flexible enough to allow you to play with different techniques if you're so inclined.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old
Legend

Default 06-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Map1 seems OK to me in the first batch of logs. Timing is in the tank but that is going to happen with 91 octane. Second batch looks like a fuel quality issue. Not sure its even 91. In those situations going to map0 or just not racing the car around makes sense. You need octane to make power on these.

I noticed you have the FUD.7 setting entered. Normally if you're having some issue going to FUD = 0 is a good first move to rule it out. As mentioned IAT is really high in the log and could be having an effect on the stuttering.

Map1 is just adding 2-3psi here and keeping the throttle more open. I tend to prefer it even for MPPK cars but as you'll find some people have other preferences, and the JB4 is flexible enough to allow you to play with different techniques if you're so inclined.
Yes, the additive maps do work for our flash tunes. Sometimes. The problem is that over time, things go to crap when there are certain conditions. For me, the additive maps are just not consistent enough for me to enjoy.

Fixed maps FTW!

(#19)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Thank you all for the support. I'll get the octane up and drive a bit on Map 0 to get the car leveled back out on trims/ecu learning. After I'm back to square, I'll go back to attempting tuning again.

To comment on FUD... it's set to disable sweep and add in the AFR reading. (Custom firmware Terry provided on bit 7.) I haven't found it as helpful as I thought since the logs show me everything and the car feel does the rest. I'll zero those out and go back to original firmware.
(#20)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 12:00 PM

To add... I also noticed that FF kept knocking down from default to less than 10 on map 6. Sometimes it went down to 1 and others 7. When I put it back up, it would just drop after each pull when I stopped logging. Not sure if that info matters.
(#21)
Old
Legend

Default 06-24-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
To add... I also noticed that FF kept knocking down from default to less than 10 on map 6. Sometimes it went down to 1 and others 7. When I put it back up, it would just drop after each pull when I stopped logging. Not sure if that info matters.
Sometimes FF learns too far down and you have to lock it with FUD. Just make sure you know what you're doing.

(#22)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Sometimes FF learns too far down and you have to lock it with FUD. Just make sure you know what you're doing.
Thanks for the input. Right now I have it zero'd out. I've got 3 gallons of 111 and the rest filled with 91. I've driven a bit today, trying to ensure mixed gas is in the line, and will try to log map 0 tomorrow in the AM. Once I'm good on map 0, well progress to map 1. Back to baby steps.... lol.
(#23)
Old
Legend

Default 06-24-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Right now I have it zero'd out. I've got 3 gallons of 111 and the rest filled with 91. I've driven a bit today, trying to ensure mixed gas is in the line, and will try to log map 0 tomorrow in the AM. Once I'm good on map 0, well progress to map 1. Back to baby steps.... lol.
Different fuels mix pretty quickly. I'm sure your logs will work themselves out pretty quickly.

You'll want to run fixed boost maps eventually

(#24)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 09:19 PM

Please see the attached Map 0 with 95ish octane. (3gal 111/ rest 91) It was a cool 85 degrees at 8am this morning. About as cool as i'm going to get during the next 3 months.

The stutter is gone, though I could feel a few of the closures as decreased power. They definitely weren't as harsh. While this is a nice long pull through 3-5, I do see hints of timing coming back up top. I also see some better trims. It's only about the 3rd full throttle pull I've done. Depending on the thoughts/direction, I could drive through the week and provide another Map 0 log on Friday. Thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: csv Map0_95Oct.csv (10.1 KB, 46 views)
(#25)
Old

Car: 2017 m240xi
Default 06-25-2018, 09:31 PM

Uhm im not sure if this has anything to do with your issues but the log says youve selected n54 engine on the top left. You have a b58 m240 right?