N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default Battery Recommendations - Lightweight If Possible? - 09-08-2017, 03:26 AM

The current battery is getting near the end of it's life and I'm needing to swop out.

Am considering a standard or lightweight option and was wondering what people's thoughts are? Would also be good to hear how the lightweights are given the lower AH and whether there can be issues in colder weather - we can get <0 for a few months each year and at times it goes as low as -15. During this time the car may stand for a few weeks without being started.

Cost is not too much of issue but wouldn't really won't to go too high and coding/registering won't be a problem.

Thanks

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#2)
Old

Car: All of 'em
Default 09-08-2017, 04:16 AM

You might find something with a larger cca rating but the adverse effects are hard to anticipate. I would stick to an OEM spec and use a battery tender.
(#3)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-30-2017, 08:50 AM

Well.... battery has finally died :-(

Tried starting last night and starter wouldn't turn over and car threw loads of codes - not sure why????? but, the CIC displayed things ranging from airbag failure through to ABS faults and things relating to engine reduced power mode. Not really what I was expecting but I guess if there's a lack of power it could be interpreted as a fault. Thankfully, sticking the 'booster' on this morning, started the car with no problems/codes :-)

Have now had a bit of time to do some reading and thanks to our colder climate, it looks like a lightweight (therefore lower Ah & CCA) might come with a few issues. I could save ~25lbs but would I notice the difference and I'm not sure I could live with the potential consequences.

Am therefore leaning towards a Yuasa YBX9096AGM (or 'ANOther' if anyone has a recommendation) and am also thinking about updating my charger as the ones I have are >20yrs old and may not be ideally suited to AGMs.

The CTEK range looks quite promising - anyone got any experience with these or other recommendations?

BTW - if I go with a different spec battery to OEM, coding won't be a problem :-)

Thanks

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")

Last edited by keyap; 09-30-2017 at 10:39 AM..
(#4)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 09-30-2017, 09:03 AM

I wouldn't skimp on the battery. The power and charging requirements are very specific in these cars, plus you are supporting more power and electronics with your mods. Be sure to correctly register and code your new one when you install, which I would worry might tricky with a non-OEM spec battery. The weight saving you are asking about is trivial unless you care about that extra .025 of a second at the track.
(#5)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks Vorsprung_CJB... that's what I thought too. I was originally thinking the weight saving would make more of an impact but, now I've realised it doesn't, the OEM spec or equivalent is going in.

Over here, Yuasa in general (not specifically the YBX9096AGM model) get great reviews and, in some instances, are considered preferable over other well know makes. Spec is pretty much the same as OEM or others bar the number of colds starts and something relating to 'cycles' where the Yuasa stands above the rest. They're generally more expensive, but I've found a shop where the difference is minimal so am happy to go with it unless there's something I've missed?

Re: coding - shouldn't be a problem and may actually not be needed. My OEM is a "S 61 21 6 917 884 (AW 61 21 6 924 020)" made by Varta which is an AGM 278X175X19 70Ah with 760CCA. The Yuasa is exactly the same size and spec and is shown as a direct replacement.

I'll have a look at the options but, given the above, I may not need to code anything.

(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 09-30-2017, 10:07 AM

You are right, if you don't change the Ah capacity or the type (AGM/Lead/Etc) you don't need to CODE anything. You will still need to register that a new battery has been installed though.

For those who might find this thread later: The DME charges the battery based on type, capacity, age, mileage and charge history. If the old battery was going bad or very aged, and the DME had to charge it more and with more current, the new battery might get overcharged, which is why registering the batter is important.

Can't really speak to that brand, it isn't found over here and I can't find any info. Use your judgement as AGM batteries can vary a lot in quality between manufacturer.
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-30-2017, 10:12 AM

We have the battery adaption reset in the JB4 in dash menu.. I'm not convinced it does much though. The battery charging is done via a learned PID system so it adpats to whatever you run.

My favorite battery is a Braille 6# battery that has around 20ah (IIRC)... But you can run it dead if not careful and it requires a special charge. And its a $600 battery.

Second favorite is one of the 135i groups they sell at pep boys. Around $130 and weighs around 32#. I can go track down the part number if anyone cares.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old
Demigod

Default 09-30-2017, 10:24 AM

Ah.... didn't realise you needed to register the new battery, even if charging rating/type etc was the same - good info, thanks :-), especially as mine's been going out for a while so the DME/learned PID etc will have adapted.

I did look at a 21lbs Braile (B3121 from memory: ~30Ah & 550CCA) but it doesn't seem to like regular cold starting and we have back to back periods of sub 0! From what I could see, it manages the cold for around a year but it's then downhill. Battery does however look great for warmer climates, although you need an adaptor/holder for it to fit.

@ Terry - if it's easy to get, could you post/confirm the pep boys part#? I'm guessing it could be 94R800BAGM? If so, we unfortunately don't get them over here, but a few places state they are rebadged Exide Edges, which we do get, albeit v hard to find (I think they've been replaced with the newer Exide 'Stop/Start' AGMs). For Bosch, the closest UK variant is the S5 AGM model or the quite hard to find S6.

Last edited by keyap; 09-30-2017 at 11:24 AM..
(#9)
Old

Default 05-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We have the battery adaption reset in the JB4 in dash menu.. I'm not convinced it does much though. The battery charging is done via a learned PID system so it adpats to whatever you run.

My favorite battery is a Braille 6# battery that has around 20ah (IIRC)... But you can run it dead if not careful and it requires a special charge. And its a $600 battery.

Second favorite is one of the 135i groups they sell at pep boys. Around $130 and weighs around 32#. I can go track down the part number if anyone cares.

Bringing this back as I am in need of a smaller battery for relocation.

Have you found anything else you like since this post? Preferably not in the $600 range . My car used to get very temperamental on low voltage as a street car so Iím not extremely excited about having to find a smaller battery. (Jb4/mhd/doc)