N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#251)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGti69
Would you do any in person tuning/logging with me if I came by for an hour? I pay. LOL
If you want to trailer your race car to the dyno I could always meet you there and look over the tuning end while its strapped down.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#252)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-27-2014, 09:55 PM

Um.. alright so I don't think this is working right, I hooked up the solenoid as followed by first page. I took an old OEM solenoid and cut off the connector on the bottom - then soldered the two wires to it, and pluged it into the OEM harness.

I took a quick spin to test out map 4 just to test wastegate spring. Soon as I hit boost the car made a very very loud POP noise, like when you blow up a plastic lunch bag and pop it. I thought I poped a vacum line but they seem to still be intact. Anyways after hearing that I didn't do any more test. Did I do something wrong here?

Here is a screen shot of my JB4 Settings:

Here is a picture on how I have the mac solenoid setup:

And here is a log from that run

http://dev.reflectstudios.com/maclog1.csv
(#253)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 03-27-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If you want to trailer your race car to the dyno I could always meet you there and look over the tuning end while its strapped down.
Yes, I most definitely will trailer it down and strap it on the dyno. I will let you know when the car is ready for that moment. Thank you!

For not I'm trying to help out Aflatau I don't want the same problems as him.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#254)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-28-2014, 08:26 AM

On map 4 the solenoid is disabled (note PWM = 0 in log) and boost is instead set off the wastegate spring. If you have boost control issues on map 4 its hose routing related.

Burger Motorsports

(#255)
Old

Default 03-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
On map 4 the solenoid is disabled (note PWM = 0 in log) and boost is instead set off the wastegate spring. If you have boost control issues on map 4 its hose routing related.
Terry, I also tried on Map 1 and soon as the car hits boost fully the car shakes back and forth violently, and I can feel the cars throttle being cut. IT threw some sort of odd 'Normal 2step/NSL code' in my jb4 code read out.. not sure on that one. But looking at the logs I have noticed the car is running very lean..
(#256)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-28-2014, 10:08 AM

You'll want to narrow things down I'd think. If you have a 2STEP/NLS relay on the car remove that to start. As a loose clutch wire, etc, could cause it to kick in at 4000rpm.

Then focus on sorting out boost control. Starting with map 4 ensuring that runs at the wastegate spring.

Burger Motorsports

(#257)
Old

Default 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You'll want to narrow things down I'd think. If you have a 2STEP/NLS relay on the car remove that to start. As a loose clutch wire, etc, could cause it to kick in at 4000rpm.

Then focus on sorting out boost control. Starting with map 4 ensuring that runs at the wastegate spring.
Alright I will try that next, but to note the 2STEP/NLS relay was working just fine before I added the mac solenoid.
(#258)
Old

Default 03-28-2014, 12:17 PM

alright Terry, I went ahead and disabled the 2STEP/NSL and it seems to be doing a lot better, I was successfully able to run map 4 with no hicups right at the wastegate spring level.

Now for map 1 I am having some issues hitting the target boost level. It is stick right around the wastegate level. My question now is do I need to do some fine tweeking as far as the settings go? Or did I mess up the wiring to the Mac Solenoid and its not getting the proper voltage needed?

Here is a picture of the log:

(#259)
Old

Default 03-28-2014, 12:36 PM

Log is here: http://dev.reflectstudios.com/map1log1.csv
(#260)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Let's see the map 4 CSV so I can see what the WG spring is set too.

Burger Motorsports

(#261)
Old

Default 03-28-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Let's see the map 4 CSV so I can see what the WG spring is set too.
here is the log for map 4: http://dev.reflectstudios.com/map4log1.csv
(#262)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-28-2014, 02:45 PM

It appears your WG spring is 12psi, and that PWM going up is not resulting in any addl boost. So must be a solenoid or line routing issue.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#263)
Old

Default 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
It appears your WG spring is 12psi, and that PWM going up is not resulting in any addl boost. So must be a solenoid or line routing issue.
Ok do you know of a way to test the solenoid to see if it is getting voltage from the ECU?
(#264)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM

You could connect a volt meter to it. Across its terminals it should have 0v normally, and then the voltage should go up as PWM goes up when trying to build boost.

Burger Motorsports

(#265)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflatau
Ok do you know of a way to test the solenoid to see if it is getting voltage from the ECU?
Maybe splicing the wires instead of using my method.

Burger Motorsports

(#266)
Old

Default 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Ok update on this, The top port of my Tial MVR was left open, so we sealed that up with a cap. and now the JB4 is controlling boost. It is over boosting a little bit maybe a pound or two. just needs some minor adjustments I am guessing with the duty cycle. Will take logs when the weather permits.
(#267)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-29-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflatau
Ok update on this, The top port of my Tial MVR was left open, so we sealed that up with a cap. and now the JB4 is controlling boost. It is over boosting a little bit maybe a pound or two. just needs some minor adjustments I am guessing with the duty cycle. Will take logs when the weather permits.
Holy crap, did not realize you had so many different top and bottom ports LOL!!
WTFF

Burger Motorsports

(#268)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-29-2014, 04:58 PM

Hey, Terry one thing I forgot to ask was could I use the regular map sensor just to boost 12 psi wastegate and get a feel to make sure all is right.

I don't have that or the harness cause I was not able to come down etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#269)
Old

Default 03-30-2014, 01:05 PM

Ok, I was able todo some logs today, and here are the results. As you can see the car is over boosting a psi or two, so I am sure I just gotta do some minor tweeks on the PMW/Duty cycle. But what concerns me are those timing drops.. I think I might be maxing out my fuel trims? I am running just the pump flash as far as backend flashes go

Log file here: http://dev.reflectstudios.com/map1log2.csv
(#270)
Old

Default 03-30-2014, 02:48 PM

did some altering to the table, here is the updated log:

http://dev.reflectstudios.com/map1log3.csv
(#271)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-30-2014, 03:47 PM

Second log seems fine. Once you get boost control down there is another variable you can use to dampen the throttle body if you wish. While dialing it in I'd leave it setup as is though.

Burger Motorsports

(#272)
Old

Default 03-30-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Second log seems fine. Once you get boost control down there is another variable you can use to dampen the throttle body if you wish. While dialing it in I'd leave it setup as is though.

Hey Terry,

The 2nd log seems a lot better for boost control, so I am not sure what I did there. I did tho reset the JB4 by turning it off then turning it back on. So maybe that set effect better boost control. So I am happy that is narrowed down.

As far as the timing drop at higher RPMS, can you explain that? I see that in the timing table under load 180 it drops down to 7.5 past 6200 RPMS. is that what is going out with that?

And as far as fuel trims, the fuel trims are 30+ shouldnt they be under 30?

As far as dampening the throttle body, what do you mean by that?
(#273)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM

You can refer to the TunerPro threads on timing & how to adjust it. If drops are consistent you need more octane, less boost, or less advance, in areas where you have drops.

Tuning on/off the JB4 has no effect on anything. Having FF adapt so its closer to PWM will get boost control working the way it should be.

The JB4 is scaled such that fuel trims of 50 in the log = the max of 34%. Keep them below 50 in the JB4 log.

Burger Motorsports

(#274)
Old

Default 03-30-2014, 05:31 PM

Alright to update this,

I adjust my fuel scalar from 1.05 to 1.10 on both fuel banks.
Adjusted my AFR target range from 11.9 to 11.5 on all loads at higher RPMS.
Dropped the timing 1 degree at higher RPMS, and now able to run Map 1 with no hic ups.

Now under Map 2 - I am running into some timing corrections. Now have to figure out a way to tweek this out.

(#275)
Old

Default 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Also Terry, does the fuel open loop setting in the JB4 effect anything since I am running a flash tune?