N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default Only God can help me now - 08-30-2018, 11:11 AM

looking for some help from anyone who is willing to listen to my story,

almost a week ago i was driving to the bank (about 1/2 mile from my house) unfortunately while i pulled into the bank, i hit the curb. shattering a coolant hose. allright, no biggie, i wait for the car to cool all the way off before trying to move it. i made it about 50 feet before steam started bellowing out of my car.
i pull over again and wait for my friend to tow me the couple blocks to my house. the car cools off, and i am towed by my friend to my house. and drive my car from the base of my driveway into the garage, no problem. i end up fixing the coolant line and start the car again. the car starts perfect but as i engage into reverse, no engagement (automatic) it just revs out. i quickly get a transmission fault error so i shut off the car and push it back into the garage with the help of my roommate.

i jack the car up and notice the trans oil cooler line has a hole in it and my belt is shredded. after several days of pulling the car apart to replace the belt and trans cooler, I finally get everything put back together. i start the car and the most horrendous squealing noise comes from the engine bay, accompanied by a pretty low idle. ( remember the car started and ran fine with the exception of the tranny and leaking oil) i'm not sure what the problem is, or why its squealing so bad.
i assume the reason it wouldn't engage into gear is because of the transmission oil cooler being broken? i'm not sure. any insight will be greatly appreciated.
ciao!
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 08-30-2018, 12:48 PM

Make sure no belt fragments got sucked into the crank area around the main pulley (search for info about that). The squealing may just be a problem with the belt installation. Did you also replace and check the tensioner? Did the pulley get loosened somehow?

Any pics?
(#3)
Old

Default 08-30-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Make sure no belt fragments got sucked into the crank area around the main pulley (search for info about that). The squealing may just be a problem with the belt installation. Did you also replace and check the tensioner? Did the pulley get loosened somehow?

Any pics?
thanks for the reply, yes i did replace the tensioner because the bonehead that owned the car before me stripped out the t-60 socket (i assume they tried to use a hex bit) i have it installed correctly as well as the belt. if i'm going to take off the main pulley, should i maybe open up the timing housing? thanks
(#4)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 08-30-2018, 03:09 PM

Damn, what kind of curb hit will break coolant hoses and trans coolers??

Double-check there's no remaining debris around the pulleys. Look up info on the trans going into 'safe' mode if it detects low fluid, assuming a lot or all of yours leaked out from trans cooler.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#5)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 08-30-2018, 04:21 PM

Can you take a video and post it up for us?

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#6)
Old

Default 08-30-2018, 04:48 PM

yes i can get a video uploaded later today, ill have to figure out what type of trans fluid i need to buy since bmw is so picky. i did however, use the blue BMW coolant for the refill. i think the main reason this became a problem is because i didn't have the belly pan on the car when i hit the curb. but i will get a video up here in a little while
(#7)
Old

Default 08-30-2018, 04:52 PM

please lmk what you want me to cover in the video.
(#8)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 08-31-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrosty1
yes i can get a video uploaded later today, ill have to figure out what type of trans fluid i need to buy since bmw is so picky. i did however, use the blue BMW coolant for the refill. i think the main reason this became a problem is because i didn't have the belly pan on the car when i hit the curb. but i will get a video up here in a little while
Get the Pentosin transmission fluid, it will save you a ton and it'S what the oem stuff is.

Just want to hear the noises

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#9)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 09-11-2018, 05:17 PM

Why not make an insurance claim at this point and let someone fix it for you, pending you have the right coverage on it.

2007 e92 335i - fbo (mostly)
(#10)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 09-12-2018, 05:31 AM

+1 on take it to a shop

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#11)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335i sport
Default 09-13-2018, 12:17 PM

check your powersteering pump pulley. They are notorious for commoing into contact with the subframe after a major jolt like that . thats where i would put my money.

2008 335i Sport Jb4, MHD BEF, Alpina flash, Uncatted *****, PE Mod, Injen Intake, v710's , Vogtland Springs
(#12)
Old

Car: E88
Default 10-25-2018, 06:36 PM

Any update?

Did you refill the transmission fluid and bleed it? If it it's a DCT, fluid level is critical.

Also if any fluids got on the belts, you need to clean all the pulleys and the belt, to stop belt noise.