N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e92
Default HPFP help? - 05-29-2018, 10:22 PM

FBO, 40% e85, mhd e85 BEF, stage 2 lpfp, recent -12 injectors, coils and plugs. Been running great on map 5. Added more e85 and tried to run map 7. Was met with misfire codes. Went back to map 5 and started having issues when I would hammer the throttle. What I am seeing is the FP_H dropping at the time of the missfire. If I roll into the throttle I don't seem to have the same issues. Is it time to replace the pump or should I be looking at anything else?

Just logged it doing this tonight (Map 2)
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-05-29 21_03_58.csv (5.7 KB, 32 views)
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-30-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bell
FBO, 40% e85, mhd e85 BEF, stage 2 lpfp, recent -12 injectors, coils and plugs. Been running great on map 5. Added more e85 and tried to run map 7. Was met with misfire codes. Went back to map 5 and started having issues when I would hammer the throttle. What I am seeing is the FP_H dropping at the time of the missfire. If I roll into the throttle I don't seem to have the same issues. Is it time to replace the pump or should I be looking at anything else?

Log is too short to see exactly whats going on but I see misfire in both banks. What plugs and gap are they at? What codes came up after this run?

Get a log in the same map but in 3rd gear from 2krpm till redline.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:

HPFP values seem to tank- how much more e85 did you add?

Are you currently at e40?

Stock turbo, you shouldn't be having any issues running e30-60 with a healthy HPFP

Post a better log- 2k to redline in 3rd

How old are your plugs & coils? What cyl are your misses on?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#4)
Old

Default 05-30-2018, 10:55 AM

Plugs have about 3500 miles NGK 95770 at .020" New Delphi coils at the same time

I removed the MHD E85 BEF and used the pump flash for these logs. It still had issues.

last fill up should put me at E50

I have had some 2DED codes since the lpfp upgrade
There was one 2AAE code last week

Besides that it has just been misfirings mostly in 1,2 and on this last log it triggered the light and cyl 6 misfire

I will check the plugs tonight.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-05-30 10_31_43.csv (8.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: csv 2018-05-30 10_32_20.csv (9.4 KB, 18 views)
(#5)
Old

Default 05-31-2018, 01:48 PM

Checked the plugs and it turns out the last plugs were factory BMW plugs that we put in less than 3500 miles ago. I still had the 95770's waiting to go so I gaped them and put them in and took it for a quick spin. Still stumbled but didn't throw a light or code yet.
Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-05-31 13_21_50.csv (9.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: csv 2018-05-31 13_20_28.csv (8.3 KB, 23 views)
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-31-2018, 02:12 PM

Are you positive this is an e85 flash? Timing is really low and trims are almost maxed out. I'd reflash and make sure that the flash is correct.

Try and get some more logs after you do that. There are some inconsistencies with both of the logs. One of the had HPFP drop, the other was perfect.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 05-31-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Are you positive this is an e85 flash? Timing is really low and trims are almost maxed out. I'd reflash and make sure that the flash is correct.

Try and get some more logs after you do that. There are some inconsistencies with both of the logs. One of the had HPFP drop, the other was perfect.
I wanted to make sure that I wasn't hurting anything so I took it down to the pump BEF... I will load the e85 flash and get some better logs.
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-31-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I wanted to make sure that I wasn't hurting anything so I took it down to the pump BEF... I will load the e85 flash and get some better logs.
Makes sense to me then, it should work better with that flash.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 05-31-2018, 06:57 PM

Ok so fresh plugs are in and triple checked at .020"
BEF set to E85
Car seems to be slightly better, but still has a crazy stumble if you mash the gas pedal under 3000 rpms. The "stumble" log was me jumping on it in 4th gear triggered the light and showed cylinder 1,2 and "multiple misfires"
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-05-31 18_35_39.csv (14.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: csv stumble.csv (6.5 KB, 26 views)
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-31-2018, 09:44 PM

That is very odd to be honest. I do see what you are talking about but I can't really see why it is doing that.

AFR is oscillating like crazy but fueling seems to be normal. When was the HPFP done?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 06-01-2018, 08:10 AM

HPFP was done 35,000 miles ago. I went ahead and ordered a new one from FCP.
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-01-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
HPFP was done 35,000 miles ago. I went ahead and ordered a new one from FCP.
Sounds good, and I hear they have a lifetime warranty on those items. Really cool stuff so you don't ever have to worry about it!

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 07-25-2018, 04:58 PM

OK so I had the new HPFP installed and have still had problems. The car has been sitting because I haven't made the time to deal with it....

The issues are still a misfire but have noticed that it goes over target and then can never get back on target? Is the boost being over target causing the misfire?

Any ideas on where to start looking?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-07-22 14_34_12.csv (12.4 KB, 23 views)
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-25-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
OK so I had the new HPFP installed and have still had problems. The car has been sitting because I haven't made the time to deal with it....

The issues are still a misfire but have noticed that it goes over target and then can never get back on target? Is the boost being over target causing the misfire?

Any ideas on where to start looking?
Plugs and coil packs are usually the best place to start for misfires.

Checked out the log- boost doesnít look to be terribly over, timing on the other hand does not look good

Letís get the misfire fixed first.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#15)
Old

Default 07-25-2018, 05:20 PM

I swapped new coils into 1,2 already - misfires are the same
Plugs were replaced within 200 miles but I will pull them 1 more time.
Beyond that is there anything else to look for besides injectors?
The injectors were just replaced in the last 1000 miles.
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Sounds like injectors to me. Before buying more, swap them out between the other cylinders and see if the misfire follows those injectors.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-25-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I swapped new coils into 1,2 already - misfires are the same
Plugs were replaced within 200 miles but I will pull them 1 more time.
Beyond that is there anything else to look for besides injectors?
The injectors were just replaced in the last 1000 miles.
Were the injectors new, or refurb/rebuilt?

If the injectors are leaking- let the car sit overnight. Pull the plugs- if theyíre wet with fuel, safe to assume your injector(s) are leaking.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#18)
Old

Default 08-02-2018, 11:23 AM

Injectors are index 12- They were supposed to have been brand new. But purchased them and had them installed at a local shop so who knows.
I went and picked up new spark plugs again as my last set came from Amazon and I am always worried about counterfeit stuff from them.

After letting the car sit overnight I pulled 1,2 (the cylinders that were having misfires)
Plugs were dry and didn't smell of gas.
I carefully gaped 2 of the new plugs to .020" and installed them.

Car ran a little better and only had it misfire 1 time.
Car was getting low on gas so I went a refilled. Since I refilled it seems to run better and hasn't given any misfires, but still doesn't feel right.

Here are 2 logs from last night and this morning
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-08-01 18_51_34.csv (10.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: csv 2018-08-02 08_13_33.csv (7.8 KB, 21 views)
(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-02-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Injectors are index 12- They were supposed to have been brand new. But purchased them and had them installed at a local shop so who knows.
I went and picked up new spark plugs again as my last set came from Amazon and I am always worried about counterfeit stuff from them.

After letting the car sit overnight I pulled 1,2 (the cylinders that were having misfires)
Plugs were dry and didn't smell of gas.
I carefully gaped 2 of the new plugs to .020" and installed them.

Car ran a little better and only had it misfire 1 time.
Car was getting low on gas so I went a refilled. Since I refilled it seems to run better and hasn't given any misfires, but still doesn't feel right.

Here are 2 logs from last night and this morning
Overall logs donít look bad, a bit of a timing drop & some corrections, but nothing alarming.

Map 5 can be a bit inconsistent, which may be what your experiencing??

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#20)
Old

Car: 2010 N54 BMW 135i
Default 08-03-2018, 04:04 AM

You didn't replace the injectors yourself, right? Are you sure they were coded? Logs look nice indeed, buy if you're getting misfires it could be that. Make sure they are seated well and have decouplers and seals at the bottom. If you take them out you have up to 5 minutes to put them back in or the seals will swell and not seal properly. There are plenty of articles on how to code injectors with inpa