N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2014 335i
Default Pure Stage 2 vs. Small single turbo? - 09-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Looking at upgrading the turbos on my N54 335i XDrive automatic transmission. I’m currently torn between the Pure Stage 2’s and a single kit with the Precision 5862 turbo. My goals are only 550-600whp on 93 with methanol injection. The single turbo would be easier on the transmission as well as the turbo being easier to replace if needed. The cost of the two is very similar when you add in install package, inlets, outlets, core charge, etc. to the PS2’s.

I’ve seen a few threads online about people running the 5862 with good results. Seems responsive enough to daily drive and still be fun.

I’m looking at the JPWorkz kit as well as the Doc Race. I’ve read some pretty bad things about wait times with JPWorkz and people not getting their orders, but also a lot of good things too. Seem like both are quality complete kits, but definitely paying a premium for the DOC kit. $3,000 for JP vs $4,500 DOC for what seems to be the same-ish kit. JP is complete where DOC still needs a Mac solenoid setup. Mostly the same parts.

Thoughts?

Last edited by HKD126; 09-07-2019 at 02:02 PM..
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-07-2019, 01:40 PM

You will probably get biased opinions of people running each. I would look for dyno graphs and logs of each for comparisons
With either choice, you can tune out bottom end torque if thats a concern.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-07-2019, 03:21 PM

That’s what I’ve been doing. The graphs of the 5862 don’t look terrible at all. Very usable. Mostly looking for input from people that have dealt with both setups and input on both kits.
(#4)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-07-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126
Thatís what Iíve been doing. The graphs of the 5862 donít look terrible at all. Very usable. Mostly looking for input from people that have dealt with both setups and input on both kits.
Yeah but finding people who have had both set ups is kinda hard to find. I have Pure and can only give feedback on those. P.m. if you need any feedback.
(#5)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i 2007 N54
Default 09-07-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Looking at upgrading the turbos on my N54 335i XDrive automatic transmission. Iím currently torn between the Pure Stage 2ís and a single kit with the Precision 5862 turbo. My goals are only 550-600whp on 93 with methanol injection. The single turbo would be easier on the transmission as well as the turbo being easier to replace if needed. The cost of the two is very similar when you add in install package, inlets, outlets, core charge, etc. to the PS2ís.

Iíve seen a few threads online about people running the 5862 with good results. Seems responsive enough to daily drive and still be fun.

Iím looking at the JPWorkz kit as well as the Doc Race. Iíve read some pretty bad things about wait times with JPWorkz and people not getting their orders, but also a lot of good things too. Seem like both are quality complete kits, but definitely paying a premium for the DOC kit. $3,000 for JP vs $4,500 DOC for what seems to be the same-ish kit. JP is complete where DOC still needs a Mac solenoid setup. Mostly the same parts.

Thoughts?
Please let us know what will be your final choice. Im on the same boat!

-07 335i coupe
BMS charge pipe
Turbosmart BOV
VRSF down pipe
BMS WMI with single nozzle ( 10 )
JB4 map 3 w/bluetooth & antiliag
Afe intake filter
BMS intercooler
BMS tranny cooler
BMS Double baffle catch can
MHD BEF Racegas
Precision Raceworks Coil
-Running 91 octane with WMI
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-09-2019, 10:04 AM

For your power goals I'd just go with some hybrid turbos.

If you want a single turbo setup, stay away from JP works.

Stick with ACF or Doc race for top mounts.

Bottom mount, speedtech looks like the best.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 09-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
For your power goals I'd just go with some hybrid turbos.

If you want a single turbo setup, stay away from JP works.

Stick with ACF or Doc race for top mounts.

Bottom mount, speedtech looks like the best.
Do you have any experience with the smaller 5862 turbo setup on the N54? Itís hard to find any data with that turbo.

I also cannot find ACFís kits for sale online.

Thanks.
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-09-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Do you have any experience with the smaller 5862 turbo setup on the N54? Itís hard to find any data with that turbo.

I also cannot find ACFís kits for sale online.

Thanks.
Yes, Terry and I tested the 5862 back in 2014. Good turbo, but it's old tech.
There are newer turbos that will flow the same with a smaller wheel so it will spool faster.

https://acfabrication.net/products/n...ount-turbo-kit

Email him for faster response or any customization.

Acfabrication@gmail.com

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 09-09-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Yes, Terry and I tested the 5862 back in 2014. Good turbo, but it's old tech.
There are newer turbos that will flow the same with a smaller wheel so it will spool faster.

https://acfabrication.net/products/n...ount-turbo-kit

Email him for faster response or any customization.

Acfabrication@gmail.com
Really good to know! Which newer turbos are you referencing that flow the same with a smaller wheel?

Thanks!
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-09-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Really good to know! Which newer turbos are you referencing that flow the same with a smaller wheel?

Thanks!
G25 660
PTE 5558 Gen 2
Xona has nice stuff too, but you have to call them.

Burger Motorsports