N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '09 535iX
Default Yet another chinese turbo install - 09-06-2019, 06:50 AM

Hello! I have been wanting to upgrade the turbos on my car and decided to go on eBay and check for cheap turbo sets for the N54 that would fit the E60. I found a set for about 1k that seemed visually acceptable and decided to give them a go. Best case scenario, I thought, I would have drop-in Stage 2+ turbos for a little over 1k. Worst case scenario, I would have to do some modifying, which would probably keep the turbo total cost under 2k, which is still acceptable to me all things considered. Besides, I have gotten a lot from this community, so why not just take the bullet and serve as a guinea pig for a set of cheap chinese turbos for the N54?

The set I bought can be found here: Upgraded TD04-17T Billet Twin Turbocharger for BMW 135i/535i/Z4/X6/740 3.0L N54 | eBay

It is advertised as a TD04-17T combo with 2" inlets. The overall quality of the casting is good, the wastegate seem to be of good quality and has the bigger rod to prevent excessive play (and rattle). I checked the wastegate arm and flapper, and they seem to have too much vertical play for my like.

I already ordered a replacement flapper set, but I wanted to make sure I am not overreacting and the flapper do need to be replaced. Here's a couple of videos of the flapper arm:

Turbo 1 - Rattle test - YouTube

Turbo 2 - Rattle test - YouTube

What do you guys think? Should I just go ahead and replace the flappers with new ones?

Last edited by ccr0ss; 09-06-2019 at 06:59 AM..
(#2)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 09-06-2019, 07:24 AM

Many are using these wastegates, other popular vendors included; and while some clearance is needed for operation these indeed are very loose even when new. The flappers themselves usually have a ton of play in them too. Anyway the perk of using them is that they are very cheap, and if you are using these Chinafolds then they also come pre-equipped which is a massive time saver (cheap + time saver= more profit). But if you care about providing the best products this is not the best way to be IMO. If I were to make a general guess, these overly loose tolerances are probably equivalent to around 50k miles of standard wear out of the box. As such they'll get the job done, but it would be better to start with tighter clearances so you do not start the turbochargers life cycle already midway through the wastegate wear process.

A couple years ago we developed our more "cost friendly" (ie. $0 inclusion) wastegate offering, we were hoping it would be an easy process. When it all was said and done we just couldn't find one we thought was suitable and ended up with the below, requiring manufacturing of many of our own parts because of these overly loose and poorly designed offerings we'd found floating around out there:

"The "competitive industry standard hardware". By this we mean what all other vendors are utilizing in base form. We ordered every vendors’ respective wastegate hardware (from overseas where they all have them made due to low cost), and while none of them were we impressed with (as delivered) we did find one that was obviously the best designed so we placed a bulk order of that solution. We did not stop there as they still had unacceptably loose tolerances (as did every one of the setups) so we actually still in-house produced four of the components with our CNC equipment, meaning we removed the glaring design defects to update the tolerances to those that have worked well for us over the years. This hardware is made from 304SS including casted Wastegate arms so not quite as superb as our premium wastegate offering, however much improved even over what our competitors are utilizing as we have picked the best design and then improved even more on it by remaking several of the components to reduce tolerances to a tighter spec. So although we call this “competitive industry standard” they are actually quite superior to what any of the competitors would offer, unless they have made some changes to their own (as we have) as well although that is doubtful. There is no additional charge for this hardware with turbo purchase. The components that we CNC In-House for these offerings out of our own USA steels is as follows: Wastegate Bushing, Wastegate flapper, Wastegate Flapper Washer, and the Wastegate Actuator Threaded End."

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 09-06-2019 at 07:39 AM..
(#3)
Old

Default 09-06-2019, 07:53 AM

Thank you for your reply, Rob! I got 304SS flapper and arm, which are supposed to arrive today or tomorrow. I am not particularly comfortable with the amount of play I see.

I will disassemble the rest of the turbo and take pictures/measurements so I can share them with eveybody
(#4)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-06-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr0ss
Thank you for your reply, Rob! I got 304SS flapper and arm, which are supposed to arrive today or tomorrow. I am not particularly comfortable with the amount of play I see.

I will disassemble the rest of the turbo and take pictures/measurements so I can share them with eveybody
Sounds good and you are welcome sir, but unfortunately you are going to find very similar slop in anything that you can order IMO.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-06-2019, 08:01 AM

I think I just got what you were trying to tell me in the previous message. Do you think I should leave it as is instead of just replacing it for a new one?
(#6)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr0ss
I think I just got what you were trying to tell me in the previous message. Do you think I should leave it as is instead of just replacing it for a new one?
Honestly I would just rock what it is, because anything you find out there is going to be damn near the same.