N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 BMW 335i
Default Oil on plugs - 09-04-2019, 04:40 PM

I know the title sounds simple but here's the story. I bought this car at auction a couple months ago. They said it recently had the timing chain replaced. about a month ago I got a misfire code so I checked my plugs and saw oil in the wells. I ordered the valve cover gasket and when I removed the used gasket it looks new and the cover has no cracks. So how am I getting oil in the wells. Also I noticed they forgot to put the spark plug tube seals back in. Could this cause the oil or is the gasket bad and just looks good to the naked eye?
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 E90 335i
Default 09-04-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
I know the title sounds simple but here's the story. I bought this car at auction a couple months ago. They said it recently had the timing chain replaced. about a month ago I got a misfire code so I checked my plugs and saw oil in the wells. I ordered the valve cover gasket and when I removed the used gasket it looks new and the cover has no cracks. So how am I getting oil in the wells. Also I noticed they forgot to put the spark plug tube seals back in. Could this cause the oil or is the gasket bad and just looks good to the naked eye?

I would replace the spark plug tubes no matter what. Are you sure there wasnít any oil coming from the valve cover? Did you replace the plugs and coils?

08 E90 335i
Montego Blue
JB4/MHD E85 BEF
BMS DCI
BMS OCC
BMS Cowl Filters
VRSF ⬇️ Pís
MMP Chargepipe
TIAL BOV
BMS Pedal Tuner
BMS PCV VALVE
NGK 97506 @ .022
STAGE 2 LPFP
H&R Springs
19' 666m Wheels
(#3)
Old

Car: 2010 BMW 335i
Default 09-04-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule77
I would replace the spark plug tubes no matter what. Are you sure there wasnít any oil coming from the valve cover? Did you replace the plugs and coils?
I replaced the plugs and coils when I first bought the car. I know there's a good amount of oil in the wells but inspecting the gasket and cover I found nothing wrong with them. Unless they didn't torque them down correct.