N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Default factory oil cooler is not sufficient - 09-20-2018, 05:53 PM

My 400hp N54 E92 is barely usable on the track because of the high oil temps. The BMS oil thermostat bypass mod helps a bit, but not enough. I was going to add a second oil cooler like the guy in the video below did, but a drifting buddy recommended that I see if its possible to add a fan to the factory oil cooler instead. Has anyone added a fan to the factory oil cooler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNy3QRvkWI
(#2)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 09-21-2018, 04:45 AM

You don't see fans on most ancillary cooler setups because the cooler moving through the air at 30+mph (attached to your car) is more airflow than almost any fan can produce and at that point the fan will be blocking airflow.

You need a larger/more efficient primary cooler or to add a second. Either is a fine option with #2 being popular because of space constraints.

EDIT: The reason your drifting buddy, and most off-roaders/haulers, will say go with a fan is because they aren't going sufficiently fast enough to get enough airflow across the core. Drifters go fast yes but they are always sideways, at least if they are any good. Drag and road racers don't have this problem.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335i e92
Default 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM

Heat is the biggest issue if you regularly track the car (road not drag) and want to do a complete 20/30 minute DE session without wasting laps to cool things off. I have heat issues as well... boost turned down and currently only running 310 WHP. I will typically finish a session at 280 degF without ever backing off at this power level.

Got these in the garage and going on after next weekends race! http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/133

i am also waiting on offseason prices to fit a CSF radiator to handle the water.

Track prepared 08 e92 335i: VTT Stage 2+, VTT Inlets / Outlet, cp-e CP, VRSF 7" HD, Forge DV's, D-P's, OCC, DCI, Race BEF, Fuel-it LPFP, JB4, gutted interior with seats / harness' / roll bar, sunroof delete, 3.46 LSD, Spec 3+ w/SMFW, M3 suspension, TC Kline DA Coilovers, 245 square Hoosier's
(#4)
Old

Default 06-23-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guancho34
Heat is the biggest issue if you regularly track the car (road not drag) and want to do a complete 20/30 minute DE session without wasting laps to cool things off. I have heat issues as well... boost turned down and currently only running 310 WHP. I will typically finish a session at 280 degF without ever backing off at this power level.

Got these in the garage and going on after next weekends race! http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/133

i am also waiting on offseason prices to fit a CSF radiator to handle the water.
Your solution looks like the best one, but my budget is poor, so I decided to just add a second 19-row Mishimoto oil cooler using their steel braided lines too. Cost about $450 in parts and the install was super easy. The results are that now I can wait on grid and the oil temp will go down instead of going up. Previously, I would have to keep my car off while on-grid. However, on hot days, I cannot drift more than 4 consecutive laps on WOT without overheating. I'm going to try adding a fan to this oil cooler ($40 mod) and if that doesn't let me hot-lap, I will definitely buy your kit. Pics below of what I have right now.

Last edited by hidavi; 06-23-2019 at 04:23 AM..
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-24-2019, 09:37 AM

I use this and it brings my temps down 20-30* with the stock oil cooler.

https://www.burgertuning.com/product...l-cooler-valve

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 06-24-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
I use this and it brings my temps down 20-30* with the stock oil cooler.

https://www.burgertuning.com/product...l-cooler-valve
I have that as well and it's helped a bit but not enough.
(#7)
Old

Default 08-18-2019, 05:47 PM

I added this fan to the 2nd oil cooler pictured above:
Amazon.com: American Volt 6 Inch Small Slim Electric Fan 12V Radiator Oil Cooler ATV Mini Tractor Mower Camper Bike: Automotive

It definitely helped A LOT, but results could be better.

I'm going to try switching my factory radiator for the CSF aluminum one and seeing if hopefully lower water temps causes oil temps to be better.