N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: FBO N55
Default Sell 335 or replace seeping head gasket? - 10-29-2015, 09:10 PM

My car is a 2008 n54 335 and I have a seeping head gasket. The car has 133k on it. Would you sell the car or replace the head gasket? Everything else on the car is well maintained. Is it possible to replace the head gasket without removing the engine? Dealer wants 6k to replace head gasket. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2011 335i M-Sport / JB4 with FF Wires, Alpina B3 flash, BMS intake, VRSF **, BMW PE exhaust, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF charge pipe, BMS oil catch can, BMS cowl delete, FK Coil-overs, 28mm front sway bar, ECS Strut tower brace, Cyba ram scoops, and Mtech angel eyes

Spoolin for Day's!

SOLD 2008 BMW 335i
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 335i e90
Default 10-29-2015, 09:40 PM

Ummmmm 6k to replace the head gasket?? LMAO Find a guy or a DIY. I don't remember what the head gasket costs but it would maybe be $100 more than that to have it done. First rule of BMW club is DON'T USE THE STEALERSHIP!!! Really though, it depends, do you want the car? If so just replace the gasket and call it a day. If not, perfect excuse to get rid of it!
(#3)
Old

Car: 2009 335i
Default 10-30-2015, 05:32 AM

Time for an S55
(#4)
Old

Car: 07 e92
Default 10-30-2015, 06:49 AM

How are you able to tell that you have a seeping head gasket? Do you have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil? I have an oil leak on the exhaust side of the engine that I cannnot tell where it is from.

Thanks
(#5)
Old

Default 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosinmylobby
How are you able to tell that you have a seeping head gasket? Do you have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil? I have an oil leak on the exhaust side of the engine that I cannnot tell where it is from.

Thanks

I have a small amount of oil bubbling out of the head when the engine is at operating temperature. I know its not the valve cover or OFHG because it is right where the head meets up. And I can physically see the head bubbling oil when the car is running. I do not have coolant in my oil or oil in my coolant. Internally everything seems fine. It's just the head is seeping oil externally. Sounds to me like you have a Valve cover gasket leak. Oil runs down the block on that side and lands on the exhaust. There is DIY's all over the forums. My leak is on the intake side.

2011 335i M-Sport / JB4 with FF Wires, Alpina B3 flash, BMS intake, VRSF **, BMW PE exhaust, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF charge pipe, BMS oil catch can, BMS cowl delete, FK Coil-overs, 28mm front sway bar, ECS Strut tower brace, Cyba ram scoops, and Mtech angel eyes

Spoolin for Day's!

SOLD 2008 BMW 335i

Last edited by JB4N; 10-30-2015 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Have more info.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 10-30-2015, 09:24 AM

While I agree that $6k is excessive (it's supposed to be) replacing the head gasket can be a pretty big deal since the turbos have to come off and you have to re-time the engine which requires renting the special tools as well as knowing how to use them and the knacks associated with it. For these types of jobs, you're better off using the Bentley Manual to wipe your @ss with. And yes, the head gasket is about $100 but you'll also need new head bolts and vanos bolts and they all require torque and angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalRocker
Ummmmm 6k to replace the head gasket?? LMAO Find a guy or a DIY. I don't remember what the head gasket costs but it would maybe be $100 more than that to have it done. First rule of BMW club is DON'T USE THE STEALERSHIP!!! Really though, it depends, do you want the car? If so just replace the gasket and call it a day. If not, perfect excuse to get rid of it!
(#7)
Old

Car: 07 e92
Default 10-30-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4N
I have a small amount of oil bubbling out of the head when the engine is at operating temperature. I know its not the valve cover or OFHG because it is right where the head meets up. And I can physically see the head bubbling oil when the car is running. I do not have coolant in my oil or oil in my coolant. Internally everything seems fine. It's just the head is seeping oil externally. Sounds to me like you have a Valve cover gasket leak. Oil runs down the block on that side and lands on the exhaust. There is DIY's all over the forums. My leak is on the intake side.
I don't think it is my VC gasket. I see oil where the head meets the short block and not above it. I am hoping it is my OFGH where I had a leak and the oil may have went down and around the side of the engine. I have no way knowing since the turbos are in the way during inspection (my ** install).

How are you able to see where the head meets the short block on the intake side? You had your intake manifold off?
(#8)
Old

Default 10-30-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is my VC gasket. I see oil where the head meets the short block and not above it. I am hoping it is my OFGH where I had a leak and the oil may have went down and around the side of the engine. I have no way knowing since the turbos are in the way during inspection (my ** install).

How are you able to see where the head meets the short block on the intake side? You had your intake manifold off?
I could see it in between the intake manifold. So I then decided to walnut blast the car and while taking the intake off I could see where the oil was leaking at the seam.

Spoolin for Day's!

SOLD 2008 BMW 335i
(#9)
Old

Car: BMW 335xi
Default 01-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks
I have possibly coolant in my oil. It is a sluggish white color. Any help would helpful!
(#10)
Old

Car: E90-355I
Default 01-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Dont drive it. Find an indy. 6k is twice as expensive as it should be.

It's not easy but it's not 6k difficult either. 20 hours at 100 an hour is 2k labor . Head gasket should take about half that time. Now once it's apart and they start checking you may end up finding out the reason your leaking : Warped head, block damage, or 'hopefully' compromised hG

Did you overheat it?
Are you over boosting ?

If the car is at stock boost levels and hasn't been overheated, aside from a defective part from the factory, that's an unusual failure at your mileage.

:: Edit :: Just saw your signature line. You probably overboosted and compromised the HG or warped the head. Speed is just a question of $$ you gonna pay one day one way or another.
(#11)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 01-11-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaliypopo
I have possibly coolant in my oil. It is a sluggish white color. Any help would helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohugh
Dont drive it. Find an indy. 6k is twice as expensive as it should be.

It's not easy but it's not 6k difficult either. 20 hours at 100 an hour is 2k labor . Head gasket should take about half that time. Now once it's apart and they start checking you may end up finding out the reason your leaking : Warped head, block damage, or 'hopefully' compromised hG

Did you overheat it?
Are you over boosting ?

If the car is at stock boost levels and hasn't been overheated, aside from a defective part from the factory, that's an unusual failure at your mileage.

:: Edit :: Just saw your signature line. You probably overboosted and compromised the HG or warped the head. Speed is just a question of $$ you gonna pay one day one way or another.
You both understand this thread is from 2015 right...?

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#12)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 01-14-2019, 05:44 PM

Lmao !