N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Log review please and questions - 09-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Dave, how do I go about adjusting the rich condition above 5000 rpms?

To answer your questions from my other log post. No idea on 02 sensor age and turbos are probably original. 100000 miles

Could the lpfp be running out of steam because of the 10 to 1 af? It seems to be losing pressure right around the time the trims get to zero and cant pull anymore fuel.

Could a turbo that is not up to par be causing all these as well as the lag issue?
Thanks, Vince
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-13 13_44_18_Map-1.csv (13.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by VinceI; 09-13-2019 at 03:05 PM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceI
Dave, how do I go about adjusting the rich condition above 5000 rpms?

To answer your questions from my other log post. No idea on 02 sensor age and turbos are probably original. 100000 miles

Could the lpfp be running out of steam because of the 10 to 1 af? It seems to be losing pressure right around the time the trims get to zero and cant pull anymore fuel.

Could a turbo that is not up to par be causing all these as well as the lag issue?
Thanks, Vince
Your FP_L does look to be at the ragged edge / maxed out.

The rich condition looks to be caused by you fuel trims maxing negative/ pulling fuel.

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#3)
Old

Default 09-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Your FP_L does look to be at the ragged edge / maxed out.

The rich condition looks to be caused by you fuel trims maxing negative/ pulling fuel.
Dave, forgive me because I come from a background of stand alone tuning my other car has big stuff 3 on it so maybe BMW does something different. In this situation is it not that the ecu is seeing a rich condition and it's trying to correct that and that's what I'm seeing on the jb4 log as fuel trims? If that's the case then the base map is too rich because the ecu cannot adapt any leaner because the trims are at zero. This is the way it would work on my other car with standalone please let me know if this is the way the bmw/jb4 software is or if its giving me different info than I am used to. Thanks for your time, Vince
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Correct, the trims are maxed, meaning it cannot pull anymore fuel.

Odd though- what are you using for fuel?

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#5)
Old

Default 09-15-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Correct, the trims are maxed, meaning it cannot pull anymore fuel.

Odd though- what are you using for fuel?
Yes very odd...I'm running 93 pump gas. Could one turbo be feeding this thing? Lets say I have a broken wastegate or one of the turbos is bad would one of the turbos on these cars make the boost eventually. I have been trying to figure out why this car doesnt make target boost until 4000 rpms. If it's only 1 turbo doing the work that may explain both the lag and the lack of flow in higher rpms that could be causing the bef to be rich. If not I guess my only option is to flash back to stock or get tuner pro or something that I can manually change the fuel maps above 5000 rpms. What are your thoughts. Thanks, Vince
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-15-2019, 04:48 PM

With trims bottoming out I'd start by changing open loop to 0 to see if that gets them up.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 09-15-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
With trims bottoming out I'd start by changing open loop to 0 to see if that gets them up.
Ok I will try that tomorrow. I will try to make a few pulls and log it with open loop at 0. What does changing open loop to 0 do to the software? I just want to understand what I'm doing and why. Thanks, Vince
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-15-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Ok I will try that tomorrow. I will try to make a few pulls and log it with open loop at 0. What does changing open loop to 0 do to the software? I just want to understand what I'm doing and why. Thanks, Vince
This should help: Logging Parameters and their Meaning - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#9)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:

Thank you that is a very helpful link I read through that last week to see if there was a setting that would effect the lag problem but I was looking for that specific problem and didnt pay as much attention as I should have been to everything else. Sorry about that. I will log again today with fol set to 0 and post log. Thanks again.
(#10)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 11:25 AM

Dave, I set fol to 0 and logged it. This is the second of the two logs attached. It appears that setting fol to 0 helped the afr as it's now in the high 11's and corrections are not maxed out. This also appears to have helped the lpfp as I thought it might. Now if we can just get rid of the lag all would be good. Any ideas on this? Was going to pull **'s off and take a look at the turbos this weekend. I also walnut blasted it this past weekend and it had new plugs and coils about a month ago.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-16 13_41_56_Map-1.csv (14.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by VinceI; 09-16-2019 at 11:32 AM..
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-16-2019, 12:47 PM

From a fueling / trims stand point this is much improved!

How many miles are on your turbos?

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#12)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
From a fueling / trims stand point this is much improved!

How many miles are on your turbos?
Yes much better thank you for the help. Turbos I believe are original 100000 miles.
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yes much better thank you for the help. Turbos I believe are original 100000 miles.
Could possibly replace boost solenoids- but @ 100k it wouldn't shock me if they were a bit tired.

any WG rattle or anything?

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#14)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Could possibly replace boost solenoids- but @ 100k it wouldn't shock me if they were a bit tired.

any WG rattle or anything?
I replaced the boost solenoids about 3 weeks ago as well as all the vacuum hoses to and from them. I cant here wastegate rattle from in the car but I'm not 100% that it doesnt rattle. Like I said before I'm gonna pull the ********* this weekend to make sure it's not something obvious but if I cant find anything I guess it's a choice between twins or a single turbo next. I was going to put ********* on it while I had them off but if I go with a single turbo I wont need them. Any suggestions on how I should go with this thing or if turbo or turbos is the next step here? Thanks, vince
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-16-2019, 10:06 PM

Either is a fair amount of work - regardless both will likely require supplemental fueling to really turn them up.

It comes down to personal preference, I’ve had both hybrid twins (pures 2s) and a Doc Race 6062 kit.

My pure setup was pretty dialed in, and extremely quick. My doc kit setup, wasn’t as fast, likely due to the small turbo size / smaller AR

Depending on your goals for your car and where and how you plan to use it, will generally lead you in 1 direction or the other.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#16)
Old

Default 09-17-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Either is a fair amount of work - regardless both will likely require supplemental fueling to really turn them up.

It comes down to personal preference, Iíve had both hybrid twins (pures 2s) and a Doc Race 6062 kit.

My pure setup was pretty dialed in, and extremely quick. My doc kit setup, wasnít as fast, likely due to the small turbo size / smaller AR

Depending on your goals for your car and where and how you plan to use it, will generally lead you in 1 direction or the other.

I think I found the problem. I attached a log and boost builds much better. While checking to see if the rear wastegate was closing all the way I noticed play in the flapper bushing. I disconnected the rod and used a vacuum pump to pull the actuator. With it fully pulled and the wastegate in the closed position it was about 3/8 of an inch off. I shortened the rod up so it would pull it fully closed and this us the log after. I'm going to pull the turbos I guess and replace the flappers this weekend and see how it is after that. I cant get to the front one so I'm not sure if that one is screwed up also. If it is similar maybe the boost will come in even better than it does now. Probably gonna throw *** on it while I have it apart. Let me know what you think...thanks, vince
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-17 13_38_53_Map-1.csv (11.3 KB, 11 views)
(#17)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-18-2019, 06:47 AM

This looks to be a good deal more responsive than prior logs.

Would be worth while to check out the front too, even if its a PITA

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#18)
Old

Default 09-18-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
This looks to be a good deal more responsive than prior logs.

Would be worth while to check out the front too, even if its a PITA
Dave, I'm replacing the flappers on both turbos this weekend so I will adjust them up while they are out. I'm thinking of putting stock or vtt stage 1 chra's in it while I have it apart. I would go with pure but 2 to 3 thousand on turbos isnt in the budget right now. Any thoughts? Thanks again for you help and time.
(#19)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Dave, I'm replacing the flappers on both turbos this weekend so I will adjust them up while they are out. I'm thinking of putting stock or vtt stage 1 chra's in it while I have it apart. I would go with pure but 2 to 3 thousand on turbos isnt in the budget right now. Any thoughts? Thanks again for you help and time.
I'm not overly familiar with the VTT rebuild kits personally. I do know a few locals that run the RB Turbo rebuild kits, they seem to like them.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#20)
Old

Default 09-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not overly familiar with the VTT rebuild kits personally. I do know a few locals that run the RB Turbo rebuild kits, they seem to like them.
I was looking at the rbs online(and would have rather purchased them) but I didnt see much info on the chras so I ended up ordering the stage 1 vtt ones and inlets so I will get it together and post a log. I assume I should use the same pump USA bef being that they are close to stock? Thanks, vince
(#21)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-20-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I was looking at the rbs online(and would have rather purchased them) but I didnt see much info on the chras so I ended up ordering the stage 1 vtt ones and inlets so I will get it together and post a log. I assume I should use the same pump USA bef being that they are close to stock? Thanks, vince
Yup, pump BEF & we can tweak from there

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#22)
Old

Default 09-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Ok so I pulled the turbos this weekend. Replace chra with vtt stage 1 units and repaired the flappers. Also added cdp's and an aluminum inlet setup while I was in there. Car idles and revs fine with no load but will not make any rpm or boost while driving. Very loud spooling/whistling sound coming from turbos.(I think) I checked intercooler piping for leaks and all seems ok. I attached a log but they are short because something is definitely wrong. Could you take a look at it and see if anything stands out to you before I go tearing this thing apart again. Thanks, vince
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-24 13_16_00_Map-1.csv (6.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: csv 2019-09-24 13_15_49_Map-1.csv (5.9 KB, 11 views)
(#23)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-24-2019, 02:20 PM

Loud whistle usually means large leak.

You may need to get back under there / or boost leak the system

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#24)
Old

Default 09-30-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Loud whistle usually means large leak.

You may need to get back under there / or boost leak the system
Dave loud whistle was from contact between the compressor wheel and the housing. I took them off and put the stock turbos on with the cdp and aluminum turbo inlets. I went out and the car over boosted to 18.? and kicked to map 4. Turned it off and reset it back to map 1 now it reaches target by 2800 but then wgdc drops off and it stays below target. I attached a short log that shows this happening.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-09-29 11_42_13_Map-1.csv (6.6 KB, 9 views)
(#25)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-30-2019, 12:06 PM

Hey i don’t see any overboosting in this log?

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062