N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#851)
Old

Car: E90 335i 2006
Default 02-10-2019, 05:13 AM

I've realised my original comment wasn't very helpful and would be difficult to answer.
So Instead I'm going to post what I assume are the answers to all of my questions, can somebody please correct me where I'm wrong, I'll update my post with the correct information.

In this video from Terry:
JB4 N54 Automatic ANTi-LAG 2STEP DEMO - YouTube

A few things are shown in the Demo Video

1) Antilag to build boost when standing still

This requires the Anti Lag chip, an updated Firmware and an Updated BEF.
When the car is in a forward gear, with both pedals pressed the car will build boost to the Boost-by-gear target configured in the JB4 app.
Question: Where is the RPM target configured for this, or does the RPM raise until the boost target is hit and them Anti-Lag triggers capping the RPM.

2) 2Step used purely as noise maker
This requires the 2Step Relay installed, with the clutch switch connected to the brake line?
This requires a JB4 installed, not sure if a BEF is required or if the firmware needs to be updated.
Not sure if this requires Neutral to be engaged for it to work?

3) 2Step along with anti-lag
This requires 2Step Relay, the Anti-Lag chip and updated Firmware and BEF.
This requires the clutch wire for the 2step to be on the steering wheel button? Or is this triggered through Software?

Not shown is rolling anti-lag
Is this normally triggered by pressing both brake and gas at the same time?
Does it hold speed/RPM of when it is triggered, or will it aim for a target RPM?

Last edited by jebusv20; 02-10-2019 at 05:42 AM..
(#852)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9x_raphy
Loving the new rolling anti lag
Haha awesome! For video links it's youtube in brackets and then the video ID only then /youtube

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#853)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-10-2019, 06:17 PM

Manuals need clutch wire, automatics do not.

Glancing over seems OK. For rolling anti-lag you trigger it with the foot brake or volume down button. For rolling 2STEP you need to use the boot brake to trigger anti-lag then channel down to trigger the 2STEP. It doesn't have a set RPM point (since you are in gear) but rather just cycles power to the coils to get the sputtering.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#854)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-13-2019, 04:57 PM

Hows the testing go? Noticed a possible bug that might cause the NLS to kick on in automatics! Working on a patch for that now. For manuals, make sure auto shift reduction is set to 0 as the JB4 uses that as a reference as to whether it's auto or manual trans.

Burger Motorsports

(#855)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 02-14-2019, 02:47 PM

Hey terry, I have a an atuomatic with 2step relay and anti lag fully working. Where can I get the updates needed to run the new 2step rolling antilag. Id love to submit you some logs as well, what's your email?
(#856)
Old

Car: 2013 Genesis Coupe
Default 02-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Manuals need clutch wire, automatics do not.

Glancing over seems OK. For rolling anti-lag you trigger it with the foot brake or volume down button. For rolling 2STEP you need to use the boot brake to trigger anti-lag then channel down to trigger the 2STEP. It doesn't have a set RPM point (since you are in gear) but rather just cycles power to the coils to get the sputtering.
With regular manual cars, we just press the clutch in and pedal all the way like normal 2 step right? I haven't been able to 2 step with my car with the new firmware. Is it because maybe, I attached the antilag wire into the jumper wire without removing it? Is it absolutely necessary to remove?
(#857)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i Msport
Default 02-16-2019, 07:54 PM

Man I wish it wasn't so cold out here. My car has been stored for months now, otherwise I would totally contribute!
(#858)
Old

Default 02-17-2019, 03:21 AM

Hey Terry, for AT cars, do we plug the clutch wire in the designated spot on the USB cable or just leave it out? I had the relay for a couple years now but used like 2 times since I got it. It triggers and everything but it as always odd and bouncing up and down in the rpms.
(#859)
Old

Car: Bicycle
Default 02-18-2019, 10:28 AM

Will this also function for the DCTs as well? Please say yes.
(#860)
Old

Car: 2009 335i e92
Default 02-19-2019, 07:37 PM

sorry for the stupid question, but you can install the 2 step for an AT car??

2009 335i e92 n54 | FBO | JB4 | e85 flash |
(#861)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo16lbs
Will this also function for the DCTs as well? Please say yes.
Yes you can use anti-lag on DCTs to build up more boost when launching.

Burger Motorsports

(#862)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbo
sorry for the stupid question, but you can install the 2 step for an AT car??
Yes, it can be installed to make noise. The performance benefit is limited though. What you really need is anti-lag. See the DEMO video from our automatic.

Burger Motorsports

(#863)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92
Default 2 Step / Anti-Lag For AT Misfires. - 02-25-2019, 08:41 AM

For some odd reason, when I put my car in park or neutral and activate 2 Step, it misfires. I will hold it for some time and it will eventually misfire. When I try to log it, the problem disappears and then when I unplug my laptop and reactivate the 2 Step, the problem reappears. I have changed my spark plugs to NGK 1 Step colder and gapped them to 0.022”. Any solutions?
(#864)
Old

Car: 2009 e90 335i
Default 02-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Reading through this it seems that we are locked into whatever boost limit we have set for first/second gear. It would be nice if there were seperate settings for “launch boost” and 1st/2nd gear boost limits.

I can see where someone would want a specific boost for launch but would want a different boost limit (or none at all) post launch. Especially those who are running drag radials/slicks.
(#865)
Old

Car: 335is
Default 02-25-2019, 01:24 PM

Will the anti lag work with the dct in the 335is
(#866)
Old

Default 02-26-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikkBoi
For some odd reason, when I put my car in park or neutral and activate 2 Step, it misfires. I will hold it for some time and it will eventually misfire. When I try to log it, the problem disappears and then when I unplug my laptop and reactivate the 2 Step, the problem reappears. I have changed my spark plugs to NGK 1 Step colder and gapped them to 0.022”. Any solutions?
Had this issue since i installed my 2step 2 years ago. It'll activate and bouce for a bit then the car throws a misfire on 2 random cylinders..
The other issue i was gonna see if Terry can help me with is that if i have my 2 step set at for example 3500rpms and I'm in gear driving and decide to punch it, as soon as i get to the same value (3500rpms) the car basically starts jerking back and forth as if the 2 step is engaging.. So basically i have to set the 2 step back to 0 everytime i wanna drive and not worry about it hitting 2 step mid driving. My 2 step also was never on target, i set it to 3500rpms and it'll bounce between 4500 and 3000 erratically without ever staying even close to 3500.

My car is AT and I'm wondering if i did the install wrong since day one and was never able to use it right.
It would be a huge help if i can get this sorted out.

I did the install following the BMS instructions but I've seen AT guys saying to not install the clutch wire, not sure which one that is.. the whole Y shaped wire or part of it doesn't have to be installed??

Last edited by E90 M335i; 02-26-2019 at 02:02 PM..
(#867)
Old

Default 02-26-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 M335i
Had this issue since i installed my 2step 2 years ago. It'll activate and bouce for a bit then the car throws a misfire on 2 random cylinders..
The other issue i was gonna see if Terry can help me with is that if i have my 2 step set at for example 3500rpms and I'm in gear driving and decide to punch it, as soon as i get to the same value (3500rpms) the car basically starts jerking back and forth as if the 2 step is engaging.. So basically i have to set the 2 step back to 0 everytime i wanna drive and not worry about it hitting 2 step mid driving. My 2 step also was never on target, i set it to 3500rpms and it'll bounce between 4500 and 3000 erratically without ever staying even close to 3500.

My car is AT and I'm wondering if i did the install wrong since day one and was never able to use it right.
It would be a huge help if i can get this sorted out.

I did the install following the BMS instructions but I've seen AT guys saying to not install the clutch wire, not sure which one that is.. the whole Y shaped wire or part of it doesn't have to be installed??
He has a new updated that fixed the jerky feeling but still no response or update for the misfire situation. If you go and look on page 34 of this thread, the third video of him explaining how to use it. There will be 2 attachments and you should download the G5_ISO_32_13_T7.hex and update the firmware from your device used to connect to your JB4. This problem was that the NLS would kick in for AT.
(#868)
Old

Default 02-26-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikkBoi
He has a new updated that fixed the jerky feeling but still no response or update for the misfire situation. If you go and look on page 34 of this thread, the third video of him explaining how to use it. There will be 2 attachments and you should download the G5_ISO_32_13_T7.hex and update the firmware from your device used to connect to your JB4. This problem was that the NLS would kick in for AT.
So with the new update on page 34 the bouncy 2step and interference while driving in gear shouldn't happen even if I the clutch wire connected in an AT car?
(#869)
Old

Default 02-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 M335i
So with the new update on page 34 the bouncy 2step and interference while driving in gear shouldn't happen even if I the clutch wire connected in an AT car?
Correct, I was having the same issue. Now I do not. He explained that it was the NLS kicking on for AT. It is resolved now.
(#870)
Old

Default 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintBeastwood
Reading through this it seems that we are locked into whatever boost limit we have set for first/second gear. It would be nice if there were seperate settings for “launch boost” and 1st/2nd gear boost limits.

I can see where someone would want a specific boost for launch but would want a different boost limit (or none at all) post launch. Especially those who are running drag radials/slicks.
Anyone?
(#871)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 02-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintBeastwood
Anyone?
Not so sure where I read it before but I guess the boost limit can be overridden by pressing one of the steering wheel buttons.....

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#872)
Old

Default 02-27-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushan
Not so sure where I read it before but I guess the boost limit can be overridden by pressing one of the steering wheel buttons.....
Thanks for the reply. The reason im asking is for drag strip launches. It would be great to be able to launch at a certain psi, lets say 12psi and once the tree goes green you let go of the button and boost climbs to whatever you have set for that gear. Lets say 18psi and then 20psi second. I dont want to defeat the boost by gear limit.

Its much easier to release a button during launch than to remember to press one. Similar to launching off of a two step or trans brake.
(#873)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-27-2019, 12:44 PM

That's how it works.

Burger Motorsports

(#874)
Old

Default 02-27-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Latest automatic test firmware and directions below.

To do this you'll require the latest BEF (we posted updates the other day), anti-lag wire, and if you want to 2STEP also then the 2STEP relay. The clutch wire from the 2STEP relay obviously doesn't need to be installed.

Worth noting for rolling antilag+2step mentioned in video, you have to use the foot brake to engage the antilag or it won't register the 2step request on channel down.

Terry, according to this video you yourself say that the “boost by gear limit determines how aggressively you want to launch” you had it set to 10psi.

The way you ate describing in that video means that the anti lag will build 10psi at launch. But because 1st boost limit is set to 10psi you will never see more than that in first gear, correct?

What im describing is two different set points. One for launch and one for the reat of first gear.
(#875)
Old

Default 02-27-2019, 01:38 PM

I think having this ability would be valuable in saving axles and drivetrain parts while maximizing performance at the the drag strip.