N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 06-09-2016, 10:54 PM

sorry to bring up an old thread but I only have problems on the E85 flashes my transmissions slightly slips in the low RPMS under WOT only in 2nd then shifts to 3rd when it notices the problem. What is the low load E85 flash exactly? What date maps?

2008 335xi FBO JB4 BMS E85 Backend flash E60 Gas VRSF Chargepipe /w HKS BOV VRSF 7 inch FMIC DCI VRSF DOWNP xHP Stage 3 flashed
(#52)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 06-10-2016, 05:17 AM

This was fixed for me going from BB e85 backend to MHD e85 backend flash. It has modified torque tables for trans.

2008 135i Sport 6at
JB4 G5 ISO, MHD E85 KR, Fuel-it S1, E55 Mix, Alpina Trans Flash, afe Scoops, My own custom 2.5" inlets, ER CP, Synapse BOV, 3.5 Tmap, 7.5" Phoenix FMIC, NGK 5992, 3" BMS downtubes, N55 Mids, Berk Race, BMS OCC, 48 plate oil cooler, 36 plate trans fluid cooler, PSS, R888, Hoosier DRs.
11.92@123.6 (JB4 ISO, DCI, IC, **, DR, on e45 & 17psi)(2013)
444whp/481wtq @19psi and e60 (2013)

2013 X3 xDrive28i M-package
JB4, K&N drop-in, ER downtube, Map 2 @ 22psi on 93
(#53)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 05-23-2017, 07:36 PM

Bringing back , I too got the infamous slip out of gear at wot shifting from 4-5 .. paddles stopped responding and then car downshifted etc on the highway.. just feels more like a software issue with the alpina flash more than a bad tranny ( I hope ) anyhow a lot of this thread was more about d4 fluid vs oem.. I'm more curious about if my tranny is going or if a fluid change and re adaption will solve it. I have set to a less extreme map and the car runs fine.. Cobb stage 2+ drive is fine. My custom map is th one that had the issues
(#54)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 05-23-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey
Bringing back , I too got the infamous slip out of gear at wot shifting from 4-5 .. paddles stopped responding and then car downshifted etc on the highway.. just feels more like a software issue with the alpina flash more than a bad tranny ( I hope ) anyhow a lot of this thread was more about d4 fluid vs oem.. I'm more curious about if my tranny is going or if a fluid change and re adaption will solve it. I have set to a less extreme map and the car runs fine.. Cobb stage 2+ drive is fine. My custom map is th one that had the issues
If you are starting to get tranny slips, IMO you have a few options. Stay out of boost or lower boost to keep it from slipping (cheapest and the least fun), swap out your tranny (most expensive but the most reliable given you get a good tranny), or my suggestion would be change fluid and filter if you haven't already and get the XHP flash (had a little slipping myself and this seemed to solve the issue, at least as of now). Hope this helps.

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#55)
Old

Default 05-23-2017, 08:03 PM

Pardon my ignorance but what is the xhp flash? And where / who does it
(#56)
Old

Default 05-23-2017, 08:26 PM

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43973 Essentially they now are able to reflash the TCU for our cars so now there can be adjustments to shift points, shift speed, etc. and in your case, increase line pressure which will help the transmission from slipping under high boost. It's in the app store and you just have to buy the license, buy the stage of flash you want, and then connect to car and follow the steps.

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#57)
Old
Legend

Car: 2007 bmw 335i e90 auto
Default 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromey
Lol..... dude if your not running XHP flashtool i feel sorry for your trans. Run OEM fluid. I had slipping problems BIG time but XHP made the trans shift better than ever. Alpina is trash.

BMW 335i
RB's 550whp
2000 Camry
2000 LS1 T56 Camaro

Koenigsegg Agera R - SOLD
Lamborghini Huracan - SOLD
2014 Bugatti Veyron - SOLD
2012 Ferrari 458 Italia - SOLD
(#58)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 05-25-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700
Lol..... dude if your not running XHP flashtool i feel sorry for your trans. Run OEM fluid. I had slipping problems BIG time but XHP made the trans shift better than ever. Alpina is trash.
I flashed my trans with alpina at first that's what started the problem I have been XHP flashed since it came out public no problems except a slight slip 1-2 when the car has been driven hard for awhile but that could be from the awd and Michilin pilot super sports (265 rear 235 fronts) car is a monster off the line at 22-24 psi of boost I spool 18 psi before I let off the brakes in 1st!

2008 335xi FBO JB4 BMS E85 Backend flash E60 Gas VRSF Chargepipe /w HKS BOV VRSF 7 inch FMIC DCI VRSF DOWNP xHP Stage 3 flashed
(#59)
Old

Default 06-10-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbaal
I flashed my trans with alpina at first that's what started the problem I have been XHP flashed since it came out public no problems except a slight slip 1-2 when the car has been driven hard for awhile but that could be from the awd and Michilin pilot super sports (265 rear 235 fronts) car is a monster off the line at 22-24 psi of boost I spool 18 psi before I let off the brakes in 1st!
Lol love it.. just picked up a android phone and now I'm waiting to borrow a battery charger .. looking forward to the xhp stage 3
(#60)
Old
The Backyard Mechanic

Car: BMW 1 Series M
Default 06-10-2017, 10:46 PM

This sounds very promising
(#61)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 06-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Odd that this tread popped up.

So I was at the track last night, 1/8 mile, and on my last run it was like the paddles stopped working. It was stuck in 3rd but dash read 5th. First time I recall experiencing that.
Trans temp was around 190*F ... I don't know if that's good or hot or what. It seems to usually be around that 180*F range.

Prior to my no shift, I had got a bog off the line. It stuck hard and right after I let off the brake I got some orange light in the dash and then the bog. Then power cam back as normal.
It's done this to me twice that I know of and both times have been near my 15th run or so. Probably about the same time from first to last run, couple hours.
I'm not sure what the orange light was/is. It's on and off so fast that i can't catch it. BUT, by the sounds of this thread I'm thinking it's the trans gear light?

I'm not sure how to go about trying to reproduce the situation. I'd like to that way I know what to fix ... my guess is it's something software and not a hardware issue.
I'm on the MHD E40 tune w/XHP ... I don't recall having this problem on the Alpina flash. SO my guess is that it's a miscommunication in the TQ tables.

2010 135i auto, MHD E40 tune, Fuel-It stg 2 pump, best 1/4 mile 11.863 @ 119.17 mph
new mods this year, VRSF 5" stepped IC, RB EVO inlets, CP-e/Tial CP, 1320 **'s, xhp stg 3 trans tune, E-85 tune
Best 1/8 mile: 7.469 @ 98.56, 1.769 60'
Best 1/4 mile: 11.480 @ 121.79 1.802 60'
(#62)
Old

Default 06-11-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1
Odd that this tread popped up.

So I was at the track last night, 1/8 mile, and on my last run it was like the paddles stopped working. It was stuck in 3rd but dash read 5th. First time I recall experiencing that.
Trans temp was around 190*F ... I don't know if that's good or hot or what. It seems to usually be around that 180*F range.

Prior to my no shift, I had got a bog off the line. It stuck hard and right after I let off the brake I got some orange light in the dash and then the bog. Then power cam back as normal.
It's done this to me twice that I know of and both times have been near my 15th run or so. Probably about the same time from first to last run, couple hours.
I'm not sure what the orange light was/is. It's on and off so fast that i can't catch it. BUT, by the sounds of this thread I'm thinking it's the trans gear light?

I'm not sure how to go about trying to reproduce the situation. I'd like to that way I know what to fix ... my guess is it's something software and not a hardware issue.
I'm on the MHD E40 tune w/XHP ... I don't recall having this problem on the Alpina flash. SO my guess is that it's a miscommunication in the TQ tables.

I'm thinking it's after the trans has been used and abused and heats up to where it protects itself or just ends up slipping due to the tranny fluid losing its viscosity from hard pulls.. my issue only happened on my trip to Vancouver constantly flooring the car on the freeways... 1hour straight of driving and giving her the beans.. I'm about to flash xhp and go back to my custom map and see what happens as it hold just fine on lower maps like Cobb ots stage 2+ drive
(#63)
Old

Default 06-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Ok so I'm low stage 3 xhp and it is better than alpina , downshifts are defo better. I recommend as most do to get it.. that win said after a few wot pulls going tinti 4th it kicked out and threw a code.. I think I'm done re tranny but if anyone thinks it maybe a easier fix then replacing or rebuilding I'm all ears..

Can't post pic from phone as File is too large.. fault code is 4F850 clutch ratio monitoring E...
(#64)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 06-24-2018, 12:13 PM

Just wanted to add that I am having the same issue, running about 19 PSI on stock turbos. No Idea on the torque, but I estimate about 480 wheel torque. Been running 15PSI since 2013 without issue, but once I bumped up to 19 psi I started slipping in gear 4 and 5. It only happens when I floor it in those gears at low RPM. Once revs are above 3000 I dont have any issue. I tried all new solenoids and new gaskets, made no difference. Its most likely the tranny not able to keep the clutches from spinning due to the insane torque. Don't forget that we putting 100 of lbs higher than these were originally designed for.

M3 F80 2017 Competition & Carbon Brakes
JB4 ||| H&R Sport Springs

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#65)
Old

Default 06-24-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer
Just wanted to add that I am having the same issue, running about 19 PSI on stock turbos. No Idea on the torque, but I estimate about 480 wheel torque. Been running 15PSI since 2013 without issue, but once I bumped up to 19 psi I started slipping in gear 4 and 5. It only happens when I floor it in those gears at low RPM. Once revs are above 3000 I dont have any issue. I tried all new solenoids and new gaskets, made no difference. Its most likely the tranny not able to keep the clutches from spinning due to the insane torque. Don't forget that we putting 100 of lbs higher than these were originally designed for.
Maybe try the XHP stage 3 flash instead of alpina and see if it helps.

(#66)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-25-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Try the xhp as another member recommended, plus a nice trans cooler will help. Stay tuned for details on that soon

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#67)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 08:50 AM

I changed from Alpina to XHP level 3, made zero difference to my surprise.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#68)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-25-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I changed from Alpina to XHP level 3, made zero difference to my surprise.
Sounds like the trans is toast

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#69)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Sounds like the trans is toast
basically! Wish I didn't waste all the work I did to it, hours of personal labor and all new solenoids. oh Wells.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#70)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Having the exact same issue here on map 3 with BMS race flash, only happens between 4 - 5 only on low RPM if I push it. If rpm above 3000 everything normal, I have xhp stage 3.

I feel its tune related more than physical issue of trans.

What I notice when boost build on 4rd and mainly 5th gear the slippage happens I guess torque reporting to trans or something get missed up.

I can replicate it easily anytime I can roll the car on 5th low rpm and push it under 3000 rpm if its above no issues. And if I'm on manual it happen less

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#71)
Old
Legend

Default 06-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Having the exact same issue here on map 3 with BMS race flash, only happens between 4 - 5 only on low RPM if I push it. If rpm above 3000 everything normal, I have xhp stage 3.

I feel its tune related more than physical issue of trans.

What I notice when boost build on 4rd and mainly 5th gear the slippage happens I guess torque reporting to trans or something get missed up.

I can replicate it easily anytime I can roll the car on 5th low rpm and push it under 3000 rpm if its above no issues. And if I'm on manual it happen less

If I floor the car from dig boosting 19 psi all the way to redline all the way to 6th gear no issues

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#72)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 01:46 PM

I don't know what you mean that it happens less in manual mode. But I think more or less we have the exact same issue. For me it only happens in 5th and 6th. I'm basically avoiding gunning it below 30k in those gears, just interesting that I have zero issue above 3K, and there is no issue at peak torque. I am sure there is something computer wise, or fluid pressure wise that can explain this issue. I am not convinced it is a friction plate issue alone. The problem is too consistent for gear 5 and gear 6 independently.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#73)
Old
Legend

Default 06-25-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you mean that it happens less in manual mode. But I think more or less we have the exact same issue. For me it only happens in 5th and 6th. I'm basically avoiding gunning it below 30k in those gears, just interesting that I have zero issue above 3K, and there is no issue at peak torque. I am sure there is something computer wise, or fluid pressure wise that can explain this issue. I am not convinced it is a friction plate issue alone. The problem is too consistent for gear 5 and gear 6 independently.
I mean if it's in sport M and on the 5th the slippage little less,

Yes exactly same issue, mainly the 5th gear below 3k rpm

On full load and full flooring and going thru gears I have zero issues.

If its gear slippage it should slip on high load strong pulls on high boost not on 5-8 psi when it's on 5th less than 3k rpm

(#74)
Old

Default 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM

Totally agree. the fact that it doesn't happen at all at peak torque around 4k RPM speaks that it is not solely, if at all, a worn clutch plate.

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
BMS Stage 1

(#75)
Old
Legend

Default 06-26-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Totally agree. the fact that it doesn't happen at all at peak torque around 4k RPM speaks that it is not solely, if at all, a worn clutch plate.
Exactly, it slip on low rpm 1.5-2.5k 5th gear while 5th gear usually less to wear, also it holds peak boost on high torque.

That's why I suspect its glitch in tune somewhere and I guess it's something between flash to transmission that report something wrong somehow causing this.

Someone suggested torque converter clutch maybe went bad and not locking and I tried that and installed different torque converter with exact same result