N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default Fuel-it TBI - 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM

Is fuel-it coming back out with a throttle body or charge pipe injection kit? Im running vtt single barrel, and don't need (or want to spend the money on) a full PI set up for just a little more fuel....

I'm sure that i saw a post, where it mentioned fuel-it coming back out with set up you install on your charge pipe.

Last edited by 2008135i; 06-10-2018 at 11:44 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 06-11-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008135i
Is fuel-it coming back out with a throttle body or charge pipe injection kit? Im running vtt single barrel, and don't need (or want to spend the money on) a full PI set up for just a little more fuel....

I'm sure that i saw a post, where it mentioned fuel-it coming back out with set up you install on your charge pipe.
I doubt it. I know the TBI has been eliminated from the line up and never heard anything about a charge pipe set up. Don't even think that would be a good option. I would suggest either reaching out to Tony about making your setup a double barrel, can't imagine it would be much more adding it over the existing single barrel. Or you can look into a meth setup which would be a good option if you only need a little more supplemental fuel. How much power you going for?

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#3)
Old

Car: 2010 E92 335
Default 06-11-2018, 01:48 AM

My bronze tbi kit will be for sale soon as I didn't like the fuel distribution but I am told it can be tuned. I am on the road to ps2 and don't want to bother when I know port injection is where it's at now. I bought the kit new last year from fuel-it since then I have added pr coils, inlets, outlets and just ordered bms new race intercooler.......planning on doing work!
(#4)
Old

Car: vw passat
Default 06-11-2018, 02:55 AM

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...26&postcount=5
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 06-11-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802
Yes, that's the post I saw... Guess its just a matter of time before they release it. Thanks!
(#6)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 06-11-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008135i

Go PI pr double barrel. There is no reason to risk your engine with big power. Air fuel ratio is extremely important and throwing fuel at the TB doesn't guarantee each cylinder will get the correct amount of fuel. PI eliminates this issue by directly injecting into each cylinder. Just imagine if cyl 1 took all the extra fuel then cyl 3-6 will run lean and cause detonation and risk some kind of engine failure.

It can work, but with big power precision is key to more power, better reliability and less odds of destroying your engine. Do it right the first time. There will always be a market for TB injection or port injection but I wouldnt take those odds if it was me gambling on my engine. If I had stock turbos then I'd consider it, but never with huge power. It's your car and your money so do what you want.

2009 335i X-Drive | GC 2.0 Turbos | VTT silicone Inlets | VTT Aluminum Outlets | Fuel It PI with FPR,return line, BMS controller, and flex fuel sensor | Fuel It Stage 3 fuel pump | BMS dual cone instakes | BMS Catch Can | VRSF 7.5" Race Intercooler | Forge Diverter Valves | JB4 G5 ISO with Blutooth/JB4 Mobile App | n20 tmap sensor 3.5 bar | AR After turbo Exhaust
(#7)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Default Fuel it TBI - 06-13-2018, 01:50 AM

I have a lightly used Fuel-it TBI I would be willing to sell. if interested shoot me an email (schaffer_joshua@yahoo.com) or text (585) 233-7273
(#8)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 06-13-2018, 12:25 PM

The fuel distribution never seemed to be very good on tbi between banks.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#9)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 06-13-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802
Need more info on this option ... @ Steve @ BMS/Fuel-it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84
Go PI pr double barrel. There is no reason to risk your engine with big power. Air fuel ratio is extremely important and throwing fuel at the TB doesn't guarantee each cylinder will get the correct amount of fuel. PI eliminates this issue by directly injecting into each cylinder. Just imagine if cyl 1 took all the extra fuel then cyl 3-6 will run lean and cause detonation and risk some kind of engine failure.

It can work, but with big power precision is key to more power, better reliability and less odds of destroying your engine. Do it right the first time. There will always be a market for TB injection or port injection but I wouldnt take those odds if it was me gambling on my engine. If I had stock turbos then I'd consider it, but never with huge power. It's your car and your money so do what you want.
there's a good bit if wisdom here - coming from a TBI user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
The fuel distribution never seemed to be very good on tbi between banks.
+1 - it creates a tuning headache for AFR, and you may have to turn off the safety 5 - which I don't like doing - just to keep from getting kicked to map 4 due to fiel trim variance > 15% (I think that's the current threshold for safety 5).

Also, the big dump of fuel in the midrange when boost peaks, and TBI activates, can - at least in my case - kill the mid-range torque that we all love.

Plus TBI is only able to support 550whp on ethanol blend, so I'm hitting that wall now ...

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
2009 535i - 548whp - sold
(#10)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 06-14-2018, 08:02 AM

I think if you could place the fuel nozzle(s) in the charge pipe then the distribution might well improve a bit. As far as possible from the throttle body but after the intercooler.
It looks like the airflow through the manifold is the reason why. Flow is not even to each port. So AFRs on each cylinder can't be equal.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#11)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 06-14-2018, 03:35 PM

Agreed, that's probably why Fuel-It is releasing the CP nozzle system in the link above.
The uneven distribution is a known issue with TBI, just due to it's nature. Good offering for the time, prior to PI taking off, but I think either PI or the CP nozzles are probably better options at this point.
Waiting to hear what HP levels the CP mounted nozzles will support, before I decide what to replace my TBI with.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
(#12)
Old

Default 06-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Agreed, that's probably why Fuel-It is releasing the CP nozzle system in the link above.
The uneven distribution is a known issue with TBI, just due to it's nature. Good offering for the time, prior to PI taking off, but I think either PI or the CP nozzles are probably better options at this point.
Waiting to hear what HP levels the CP mounted nozzles will support, before I decide what to replace my TBI with.
But you guys are also forgetting that we have boost too. If it was NA this method might be safer but when you throw in 15psi+ of boost your creating uneven airflow and because of that when the fuel reaches the cylinders you will never have an equal amount of fuel.

Injecting fuel anyway other than directly into each cylinder especially under boost is risking engine detonation which blows engines. You guys can do as you want but these are not hondas, dont get mad at Fuel it for taking the cheap route when it costs your 4k to swap in a new engine. Treat your engine like you treat your body, dont abuse it and go cheap. Just because you can get a back door unlicensed surgan doesnt mean it's worth the risk t ok save some money. If you cant do it right the first time put away $25 a month until you can. It only takes 1 cyclnder to go lean to blow that piston which makes the rest of the engine junk. It's not like replacing a tire. If one goes they all have to be replaced.

There will always be a market for TBI but the way I look at it is to do it right the first time and save yourself future headaches. I dont buy or upgrade something unless I have the extra funds to do it right the first time. In my past I've been burned by cheaping out and I haven't had that problem ever since I smartened up.

2009 335i X-Drive | GC 2.0 Turbos | VTT silicone Inlets | VTT Aluminum Outlets | Fuel It PI with FPR,return line, BMS controller, and flex fuel sensor | Fuel It Stage 3 fuel pump | BMS dual cone instakes | BMS Catch Can | VRSF 7.5" Race Intercooler | Forge Diverter Valves | JB4 G5 ISO with Blutooth/JB4 Mobile App | n20 tmap sensor 3.5 bar | AR After turbo Exhaust
(#13)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 06-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Nozzles in the CP, further back from the TB or intake runners, gives the fuel and air more time to mix. So a CP set up should have better fuel distribution across cylinders than TBI.

2017 AMG C63 -JB4
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM

Agreed, PI is always the better solution for more volume and distribution.

TBI was great for it's initial purpose, getting us over the threshold when the HPFP could not longer keep up and running straight E85 on stock turbos. The was it's initial goal and it did well with that. Where the problem started was people wanting more and more volume so virtually the minute we released it the requests came in..."we need more". Once we took it from 500cc to 1000cc then distribution became more of an issue for some. Some cars were great, others not as much so it was hit or miss for a variety of reasons. Carbon build up, lambda adaptions, air flow characteristics, etc.

For CPI, correct, we are coming out with a new system for this. Just like PI it is PWM controlled based on boost, RPMs, and other the other variables the JB4 takes in to account. It will run as a stand alone or can be run in conjunction with an existing port injection kit. We have two styles of injector bodies that can be installed in any meth bung (1/8" NPT), a single input and a dual input so they can be daisy chained as they are on our S63TU application.

These are not meant to replace PI but instead compliment it or for those that don't have access to PI or want to go to the trouble and expense, it's another option.

The biggest improvement for this setup will not only be that it's not just an "on or off" type application as TBI was but is boost and RPM regulated. In addition you will be able to install them anywhere you have an 1/8" NPT port, and we are also releasing couplers to install in your silicone CP for those who need them.

In addition to that, we are also releasing a new fuel line adapter specifically for these kits so everything is plug and play but can be customized to meet your needs.
Attached Images

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#15)
Old

Car: vw passat
Default 06-15-2018, 03:06 PM

do you have a release date/hp support on e85 or price est for the single/dual setups?

also i can attest as i was a beta tester for the original tbi who later sent it in to get the upgraded one that flowed more fuel. with the original version i never had a problem with my trims or afrs between banks. once i got the production version things got slightly wonky, nothing ever alaming for me though.
(#16)
Old

Default 06-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Nozzles in the CP, further back from the TB or intake runners, gives the fuel and air more time to mix. So a CP set up should have better fuel distribution across cylinders than TBI.
Yes it's a little better but still will create issues with accuracy, but hey there is always a market for those who like to risk there stuff. It's the same reason people buy Ebay turbos.

Fill your mouth up with water, put 6 straws in your mouth and blow onto a big piece of paper and watch how random the distribution will be. Just imagine pumping 20psi in as well, it would be even more random. I'm not knocking fuel its product, but instead I highly recommend to anyone who cares about there engine to go PI the first time around. Theres a reason so many blow there engines from methonal across all platforms. It's when your airfuel between cylinders dont match up and some cylinders get less meth than others and go boom. PI meth or fuel is the only way to do it right outside of the variant double barrel setup. Fuelit has a new 650hp PI setups which is the best bang for your buck when it comes to power and safety.

Ask yourself this question.... would you ever install Chinese turbos on your car? If so this fuel setup is for you since your hands on and you can replace your engine in your own garage saving you 4k.

Last edited by buster84; 06-15-2018 at 09:36 PM..