N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi
Default 08-23-2016, 07:28 AM

if its the turbos, why only smoke when slowing down? also if put in nuetral it wont smoke while coming to a stop. no smoke on acceleration either. and the smoke dissipates fast.

at the end of the life your not sorry for things you did, but the things you did not
(#27)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 08-23-2016, 07:41 AM

Probably almost all N54 on the road smoke a little but the *****s hide it all...

Many causes possible, PCV, Valve Cover, Turbos, Exhaust valve seals/guides, Kinked Drains etc etc.
(#28)
Old

Default 08-23-2016, 07:46 AM

well i know with 18psi the pcv can fail, also the hose is like a check valve. so under high vac oil is slipping though or thats how im figuring it. i guess i just have to change it all out and find out. i do not think its the turbos at all.

at the end of the life your not sorry for things you did, but the things you did not
(#29)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Hold up.
I have smoke from 1 bank since activating burble option.... And oil use...
I was expecting the worse but could it be the burble causing it?!

WM
(#30)
Old

Default 08-23-2016, 07:52 AM

i wouldnt know, i dont have the burble on.

(#31)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-23-2016, 08:11 AM

I have burble on, upgraded turbos, brand new valve cover, new injectors index 12 and I have 0 smoke. Don't burn oil either

2007 e90 335i
Hexon turbos
Trebila Custom tuning
(#32)
Old

Default 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotCEO
My car started to smoke like a B**ch when I used the burble feature. My car is in 100% operating condition with brand spanking new turbos... I took that burble business off, and after probably a week, my car went back to normal not smoking at all... so to test, I put the burble again, and boom... here comes the smoke.

I took it off, and my smoke is almost gone again... I also panicked and thought it was the valve seals, but nope... at least in my case, it was the 5 second burble left at the soft setting...

I run E85 full C@t delete from *** out, and my car usually smells like corn, but with the burble it smells like oil.

In conclusion, try taking it off, run for a while and see if it goes away because both times, mine did completely. Now it's back to smelling like corn.
I am in the same situation.
I don't remember seeing any smoke last time I flashed. This time I selected burble option and I have smoke from the right tail pipe. It's not thick, black smoke tho. Almost like it's running really rich.
I will be the happiest man alive if this is causing the smoke! The turbos have only done 50 miles!
Removed the burble option and I will do a oil change tomorrow.
WM
(#33)
Old

Default 08-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile
I am in the same situation.
I don't remember seeing any smoke last time I flashed. This time I selected burble option and I have smoke from the right tail pipe. It's not thick, black smoke tho. Almost like it's running really rich.
I will be the happiest man alive if this is causing the smoke! The turbos have only done 50 miles!
Removed the burble option and I will do a oil change tomorrow.
WM
My car started smoking after using the burble for a little while. Turned it off and the smoking has gone away again. Seems to be a common trend here!

N54 335i MT - Turbo Dynamics Stage 2's - BMS JB4 & MHD - Miltek Exhaust - VSRF **'s - VSRF Intercooler - BMS DCI's - BMS CP - Forge DV's - BMS Meth kit
(#34)
Old

Default 08-23-2016, 08:54 AM

This theory definatly has legs. It would explain my erratic afr readings at idle and random oil loss too.
WM
(#35)
Old

Default 08-24-2016, 10:46 AM

A little feedback guys.

I de-selected the "burble" option in MHD last night and got the guys in my local workshop to drop the oil today. It was like piss!! Hardly any viscosity and a strange smell. My guess it it heavily contaminated with fuel. Analysis will tell. I'll send a sample in next week.
First start and the car was still smoking but a lot less. After 10 miles of steady driving the smoke is gone! I guess it took a little time to clear any remnants of the old fuel/oil out. Engine sounds much better and idles a lot smoother.
Luckily I caught this after just a handful of miles. Damage could have been terminal if I left it.
I have no idea why this only happens on some cars. Could be due to the amount of engine wear or a number of other factors combined.

If anyone is having doubts, an oil sample would be my first step.

WM
(#36)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 08-24-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
A little feedback guys.

I de-selected the "burble" option in MHD last night and got the guys in my local workshop to drop the oil today. It was like piss!! Hardly any viscosity and a strange smell. My guess it it heavily contaminated with fuel. Analysis will tell. I'll send a sample in next week.
First start and the car was still smoking but a lot less. After 10 miles of steady driving the smoke is gone! I guess it took a little time to clear any remnants of the old fuel/oil out. Engine sounds much better and idles a lot smoother.
Luckily I caught this after just a handful of miles. Damage could have been terminal if I left it.
I have no idea why this only happens on some cars. Could be due to the amount of engine wear or a number of other factors combined.

If anyone is having doubts, an oil sample would be my first step.

WM

Thanks for the update. Glad you caught it early enough to not do any damage. Still haven't had a chance to take mine off yet but this scared me enough to get it done as soon as i leave work today.

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#37)
Old

Default 08-24-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBeemah
Thanks for the update. Glad you caught it early enough to not do any damage. Still haven't had a chance to take mine off yet but this scared me enough to get it done as soon as i leave work today.
The damage could already be done to your oil. If you have any smoke I suggest get a sample and check the viscosity and smell as a priority. And how does your engine sound? Any strange sounds from the top end?

WM
(#38)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 08-24-2016, 06:33 PM

How would the burble cause smoking?

My only thought is that the extra fuel is washing off carbon deposits which then burn up and create smoke.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black
(#39)
Old

Default 08-25-2016, 04:12 AM

You're putting unignited fuel into the cylinder then over the exhaust turbine and out of the exhaust.
Fuel in a cylinder that is not ignited could leak past the piston rings and contaminate the oil. This thinner oil then leaks past the turbo seals and into the turbine housing where it causes smoke.
Unburnt fuel in your exhaust will also smoke as it burns rather than ignites.
Both just theories but it explains my situation. And it explains the oil use and strange engine noises.

WM
(#40)
Old

Default 08-25-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You're putting unignited fuel into the cylinder then over the exhaust turbine and out of the exhaust.
Fuel in a cylinder that is not ignited could leak past the piston rings and contaminate the oil. This thinner oil then leaks past the turbo seals and into the turbine housing where it causes smoke.
Unburnt fuel in your exhaust will also smoke as it burns rather than ignites.
Both just theories but it explains my situation. And it explains the oil use and strange engine noises.
I understand your theory about fuel leaking past the rings into the oil, but that seems like it's something that would take weeks or months to develop, not days or hours like these people are experiencing. The injectors aren't just pouring fuel in, most of it leaves through the exhaust I'd imagine.

I'm looking forward to the oil test results from windymissile.

(#41)
Old

Default 08-25-2016, 09:35 AM

dotCEO
windymissle
Cerbera

Can you guys post up the burble options you were using? Any maybe some more details on your car like oil weight, turbo miles, etc. Thanks!

(#42)
Old

Car: e90 335i 6mt
Default 08-25-2016, 09:49 AM

Fuel contamination can happen very quickly. I know it's an extreme example but in our drag boat we end up with quarts of fuel in the oil after 1000ft. It's no mystery either, heavily contaminated oil is thinner and usually discolored.

I'm not saying that's certainly what is happening here, but in Windy's case it sounds like it could be. Fuel contaminated oil would have several potential ways of causing smoke simply because the oil would be substantially thinner. My guess is that most of the smoke at idle would be because it would get through PCV systems into the manifold more easily.

However the car might be burning potentially fuel contaminated oil isn't the important question though. I think it would be good to know if the burble function pushes significant amounts of oil past the rings. Sounds plausible to me. Fuel gets injected, charge gets compressed but never ignited, and more fuel than usual pushes through into the crank case. Can't say for sure because of one or two examples though. We would need more of a pattern or some real tests.

Last edited by austin; 08-25-2016 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Typo
(#43)
Old

Car: '07 E90 335i
Default 08-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
dotCEO
windymissle
Cerbera

Can you guys post up the burble options you were using? Any maybe some more details on your car like oil weight, turbo miles, etc. Thanks!
I'd be more interested in seeing logs/current condition of their injectors. If they're leaking then the burble feature wouldn't be the cause, just a contributing factor.
(#44)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 08-25-2016, 12:19 PM

I just don't see the amount of fuel used for the burble being enough to do anything like this. Hell some higher end cars stock factory tunes do this to create that burble.
(#45)
Old

Car: e90 335i 6mt
Default 08-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08_335i
I just don't see the amount of fuel used for the burble being enough to do anything like this. Hell some higher end cars stock factory tunes do this to create that burble.
Yeah, that's what is really making me hesitant to blame the burble function. It does sound like fuel contamination, but like Fcobra said it could just be related to leaky injectors. Maybe running the burble function with an injector with a poor spray pattern exacerbates the issue.
(#46)
Old

Default 08-25-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08_335i
Word. Especially since the same exact coding/logic/tables/etc. were copied over from the 1M to accomplish this; the 1M might not be at the level of aggression where some owners are experiencing issues (windy said he's using 5 sec), but still...
(#47)
Old

Default 08-25-2016, 02:22 PM

It may not be fair to compare the N54 to cars with factory burble. From my experience, the burble of factory cars does not last very long and is mild, unlike the 5 seconds of harsh burble some of us are targeting.

Also, those cars may have special design considerations that allow burble to occur without causing other issues, or have ways to enable/accentuate burble with minimal added fuel or retarded timing.

We are adding burble to a car which was not designed for it.

(#48)
Old

Default 08-25-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
We are adding burble to a car which was not designed for it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=290
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=513

Is the N55 that much different where it would cause you to worry?
(#49)
Old

Car: 335i E92
Default 08-25-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF
Probably almost all N54 on the road smoke a little but the *****s hide it all...

Many causes possible, PCV, Valve Cover, Turbos, Exhaust valve seals/guides, Kinked Drains etc etc.
In my case after changing the valve cover and having the turbos rebuilt, smoking stopped. The down ***** and turbos had no signs of wet oil, so I want to believe the valve cover replacement fixed the issue. Car smoked only when slowing down coming to a stop e.g. stop light. Also, if I engaged neutral when coming to a stop, it wouldn't smoke - this was my technique of averting embarrassment when there was traffic around. Further, no smoke on acceleration, the smoke dissipated fast, smoke stunk of burned oil, etc. Same symptoms as OP.

Last edited by E92wala; 08-25-2016 at 04:08 PM..
(#50)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 08-26-2016, 12:33 PM

Well, 5 second aggressive burble sounds like a damn popcorn machine lol. I have it set at medium aggressiveness and 1.5 seconds and it probably lasts anywhere from 1.5-3 seconds dependent sometimes and gives a few good pops\burbles dependent upon rpm release. But I could see how an ill injector could cause it to happen, and have the burble affect make it even worse with said injector.