N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 All Weather Sleeve for F Series - 03-26-2015, 06:04 PM

Hey guys,

We've had a small but steady report of water related issues with respect to the F Series JB4. When placed properly under the plastic covers it should be almost impossible for water to seep in to the board but placement isn't always perfect and sometimes it does happen. Of course BMS will warranty replace any water damaged board, but that also isn't very convenient for the end user.

So we've come up with a couple solutions to this potential problem. The first is an inexpensive solution. We've designed a special silicon/rubber sleeve that encloses the JB4 & harness connector. It's easy to install, rugged, and rated for both warm and cold climates. Attached is a photo of it in action. If you want one of these just grab one for $5 shipped from our N20 or N55 upgrades page. We have 500 or so in stock. Note, if you have a BMS DATA cable you'd have to either cut a slit (reducing its effectiveness) for it or only install this cover when you don't have the DATA cable installed.

http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_JB4_upgrades.html

The second option we're working on is upgrading the F series JB4 enclosures all together to a new CNC & ORING design that will be rugged & all weather. We've designed the new enclosure so it will house the JB4 (or stage1) circuit board, harness connector, and DATA cable connection. I expect it will retail in the $40-50 range and will remain an add-on option to our current plastic enclosures. We're in the middle of that design process now and I'll share more info on it as we're able to do so.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 03-26-2015, 08:12 PM

awesome!
(#3)
Old

Car: 135
Default 03-26-2015, 08:20 PM

Purchased! Great cost effective solution! Thanks again T!
(#4)
Old

Car: F30 335i msport
Default 03-26-2015, 08:22 PM

Nice !!! I need this .. Purchased.. Thanks T

1993 Dodge Caravan ( Bone Stock )

2016 Tanzanite Blue F80 M3 jb4 , awe non res, bmc filters.
(#5)
Old

Car: X1 n20
Default 03-30-2015, 06:19 AM

Sweet. Def looking forward to the new aluminum enclosure!

2015 M235i Track Edition (1 of 50 in Canada)
-Custom ProTuningFreaks BM3 Tune (PTF Developer team)
-Dinan CF Intake, wrapped in gold heat tape from -Golidlocks Automotive.
- ER Charge ***** (H & C)
- GoFastBits Diverter valve
- MeaganRacing Solid Rear adj. upper Camber arms
- H&R Springs
- Dinan bumpstops
(#6)
Old

Car: 328i
Default 03-30-2015, 07:25 AM

Will the rubber sleeve fit a stage 1 S55 box?
(#7)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 03-30-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morkusyambo
Will the rubber sleeve fit a stage 1 S55 box?
Stage 1 uses different enclosure. So no.You can just buy the JB4 High Temp enclosure to make it fit.
http://burgertuning.com/high_temp_JB4_enclosure.html

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Car: 328i
Default 03-30-2015, 11:08 AM

I'm not worried about temps, so I guess I'll wait for the aluminum enclosures.
(#9)
Old

Car: BMW M235i
Default 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM

Just bought one! Thanks.
(#10)
Old

Default 04-07-2015, 06:53 AM

For those of us FXX guys equipped with the Burger Meth kit, Does the FSB should be enclosed as well? Will there be any heat issue if we do?
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-07-2015, 08:09 AM

It's not overly sensitive but you can just cover the open top with a piece of black duct-tape if it's not under a cover.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 04-07-2015, 04:24 PM

Thanks!
(#13)
Old

Car: 2015 m235i xDrive
Default 04-08-2015, 09:11 PM

Hey Terry I purchased this for my jb4 and have the usb cable coming out of the other end what do you recommend I do? Just cut the closed end to allow the cable to run through?
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-08-2015, 09:18 PM

I'd just cut a small slit with a razor.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Car: n55
Default 05-28-2015, 08:30 AM

I'm interested in this to prevent some of the water issues I've heard about. But, is this sleeve not ideal for SoCal climate? My logic tells me this is better for colder and more wet climates since the silicone would be trapping heat in the box. Would using this sleeve in hot places like SoCal be okay or should I pass?
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-28-2015, 08:32 AM

Heat management is not an issue with the F series tuners. The sleeve should be used in any situation where the box might become soaked. In Socal the primary source of soaking is spraying the engine bay during a car wash...

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Car: 435xi
Default 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc67065
I'm interested in this to prevent some of the water issues I've heard about. But, is this sleeve not ideal for SoCal climate? My logic tells me this is better for colder and more wet climates since the silicone would be trapping heat in the box. Would using this sleeve in hot places like SoCal be okay or should I pass?
Using one my self havent had any issues, I also tuck my data cable end underneath the sleeve and it holds it very well.