N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#751)
Old

Car: F80
Default 02-21-2015, 12:28 PM

Great. I look forward to learning more. Just picked up a JB4 for my 6MT F80.

I'm new to piggybacks and I've been trying to decode the difference between all the tunes available and I certainly have a lot of questions. Being an engineer, the logging capability is a huge nerdy feature for me and should help clear up some of my confusions.

I'm undoubtedly soft with my car 99% of the time and don't want to break it. Top priority for me. I've read of a few people running into drivetrain errors (even using a Stage1) and I don't know if it is due to their car, their crazy driving, their improper installation, poor gas, improper adaptation procedure, or the unit itself. (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1091784) In my mind I've built up a fear of the drivetrain error/limp-home mode (not CELs) as I've read they are stored and BMW can see that they have occurred. Perhaps the pitfall of forums I suppose if this is not true.

One thing that I was told on another forum is that DTS/ESS/Dinan rewrite the MAF signal to prevent some codes. I quote, "If MAF exceeds the load values then a hidden plausibility code is triggered. Your options to work around this are to intercept or alter MAF as ESS and Dinan do, or alter them using CANbus logic as the JB4 does." (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14).

1) Given that Stage1 does not tap into CANbus, does it have the ability to prevent MAF>load codes in some other way or is it simply set to be not as aggressive so as to prevent this MAF>load issue?
2) Given that MAP1 on a JB4 is the same as Stage1, does the JB4 offer a more sophisticated method to preventing these codes or is it simply using the CANbus to provide data logging features and no more?
3) If MAP1 is not using the CANbus, do custom maps enable such a feature. 4) In one post I read that MAP3 requires stage 2 CANbus. Does it do something special ( http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25401)
5) Does all this even matter?

My next question is back to altitude. I hope to use the JB4 in MAP4 at 5000ft and 9000ft to see if the stock PSI changes, but that will happen as soon as my JB4 arrives.

1) Does a stock F80 add 18psi on top of the barometric pressure resulting in:
a) at 0ft absolute pressure in manifold would be 18psi + 14.7psi = 32.7psi
b) at 5000ft absolute pressure in manifold would be 18psi + 12.2psi = 30.5psi

Or,

2) Does the F80 try to achieve a specific manifold pressure, regardless of barometric pressure:
a) at 0ft, absolute pressure in manifold would be 18psi + 14.7psi = 32.7psi
b) at 5000ft absolute pressure in manifold would be 20.5psi + 12.2psi = 32.7psi

Thanks,

Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Map 3 is likely more appropriate for your higher elevation and lower grade fuel. Power and torque are similar to map 1 down low but it has a stronger boost taper towards redline, reducing turbo exhaust back pressure, in the region where its more difficult for the compressors to keep up. Especially in thinner air.

If your question is whether the JB4 will throw CEL when nothing is actually wrong/needs to be fixed, it won't. Any time you have some physical issue with the vehicle a check engine light will appear to inform you. This will happen whether you are stock or tuned. Those of us who have been around turbo BMWs long enough know the factory cars throw codes all the time. We won't disable that CEL system for you nor would we want to. Whether you are tuned or modified the process is the same. If you ever get a CEL read it and address the physical issue that triggered it. One nice thing about the JB4 system in particular is if you ever want to read your codes, or even shadow codes that don't show a light, you can do that without having to purchase any additional equipment.
(#752)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-21-2015, 12:48 PM

The DME is load based and has internal compensation tables for pumping losses due to higher elevation. To simplify things a bit to arrive at a particular boost target the DME will consider it's load target, ambient pressure, intake temperature, RPM, and several other criteria.

At 5000' I'd guess that target will peak around 21psi in 80 degree weather. You can datalog the JB4 on map 4, stock tuning, with logging active, to monitor that. The DME tends to shift the boost curve lower in the RPM band and increase taper to redline as elevation increases.

The JB4 can run in two modes. Additive mode or absolute mode. In additive mode, such as used in maps 1, 2, and 3, the JB4 will add boost to the factory target as a function of RPM, gear, throttle input, etc. In absolute mode used on maps 6, 7, and 8, the JB4 will target a preset boost curve regardless of the DME's internal target. Generally speaking absolute targeting is preferred for performance and is more intuitive for tuners who are used to dealing with boost targets rather than load targets. But additive targets are easier to tune and don't require nearly as much processing power and data coming in. The JB4 is the only S55 tune capable of running absolute targeting. All of the other tunes are strictly additive based like JB4 maps 1, 2, and 3.

Regarding Stage1 and tuner plausibility codes (MAF plausibility is only one of many), it can't suppress those codes nor can it monitor MAF, fuel trims, AFR, timing, internal load & boost targets, etc, so it relies on a lower additive target to avoid them. We've preset it at +4psi max for the S55 but this is adjustable using a BMS USB cable. No tune without CANbus running more than 4psi over stock can really avoid ALL of the internal plausibility codes. Without sharing too much info here MAF is just one of many.

For the JB4 maps, any map other than map 1, requires the CANbus connections. We designed the JB4 to be as simple to install and remove as possible. Doing this meant we take most of our data in through the two CANbus wires, instead of having to run a wire to every sensor we want to work with. JB4 Map 1 requires only TMAP & MAP as our Stage1 tune does. But maps 2+ require addl data that won't be available to the tune unless CANbus is connected.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#753)
Old

Default 02-22-2015, 11:19 AM

Thanks Terry.

Above you put map 3 in both additive and absolute but I think you meant to map 5 in absolute.

So I assume that Map 3, being an additive map, reduces boost from +(3-4) psi as RPM increases, which is only possible if RPM is accessible. Perhaps there are other features as well. I do see this post with curves, but perhaps this map has since changed or was specific to that vehicle. http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=521
(#754)
Old

Car: 2015 BMW M4
Default 02-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The DME is load based and has internal compensation tables for pumping losses due to higher elevation. To simplify things a bit to arrive at a particular boost target the DME will consider it's load target, ambient pressure, intake temperature, RPM, and several other criteria.

At 5000' I'd guess that target will peak around 21psi in 80 degree weather. You can datalog the JB4 on map 4, stock tuning, with logging active, to monitor that. The DME tends to shift the boost curve lower in the RPM band and increase taper to redline as elevation increases.

The JB4 can run in two modes. Additive mode or absolute mode. In additive mode, such as used in maps 1, 2, and 3, the JB4 will add boost to the factory target as a function of RPM, gear, throttle input, etc. In absolute mode used on maps 6, 7, and 8, the JB4 will target a preset boost curve regardless of the DME's internal target. Generally speaking absolute targeting is preferred for performance and is more intuitive for tuners who are used to dealing with boost targets rather than load targets. But additive targets are easier to tune and don't require nearly as much processing power and data coming in. The JB4 is the only S55 tune capable of running absolute targeting. All of the other tunes are strictly additive based like JB4 maps 1, 2, and 3.

Regarding Stage1 and tuner plausibility codes (MAF plausibility is only one of many), it can't suppress those codes nor can it monitor MAF, fuel trims, AFR, timing, internal load & boost targets, etc, so it relies on a lower additive target to avoid them. We've preset it at +4psi max for the S55 but this is adjustable using a BMS USB cable. No tune without CANbus running more than 4psi over stock can really avoid ALL of the internal plausibility codes. Without sharing too much info here MAF is just one of many.

For the JB4 maps, any map other than map 1, requires the CANbus connections. We designed the JB4 to be as simple to install and remove as possible. Doing this meant we take most of our data in through the two CANbus wires, instead of having to run a wire to every sensor we want to work with. JB4 Map 1 requires only TMAP & MAP as our Stage1 tune does. But maps 2+ require addl data that won't be available to the tune unless CANbus is connected.
For purposes of nomenclature, by load, you are referring to volumetric efficiency correct?

So if the ECU is targeting V/E (load) of 160% - it does that regardless of altitude, BP, etc... I think the consensus here is that it does.

So if at sea level it needs 18 PSI to get to that level, it needs approximately 20 PSI up here, to get to that level. The Stage 1 (MAP 1) is effectively raising boost to 24 PSI to get to 160%.

My question is at what boost level does the ECU trigger a plausibility code for max PSI - because we're always going to have higher boost pressure assuming it's targeted, and then these tunes add +4 on top of that.
(#755)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Fixed the typo.

Map 3 is an additive map. Map 5 I go back and forth. It's a BETA map now and under additive as implemented but I think ultimately the concept would be better as an absolute map. It's one of the many areas we're going to spend more time on soon. I should also note that while by default map 6 is an absolute map but there is a modifier in the firmware that lets you change it to an additive map should you prefer to custom tune an additive setup. Which is handy for really low grade octane guys. I had an 89 octane equivalent international guy do up a +2psi max map which worked well for him.

These are the base additive boost targets of map 3. Note, other functions are applied to reduce these, such as pedal input, intake temps, etc, but generally at full throttle this is what you'll get:

Quote:
'91 octane Map 3
psi_curve[0] = 10 '1500
psi_curve[1] = 20 '2000
psi_curve[2] = 30 '2500
psi_curve[3] = 45 '3000
psi_curve[4] = 55 '3500
psi_curve[5] = 55 '4000
psi_curve[6] = 45 '4500
psi_curve[7] = 35 '5000
psi_curve[8] = 25 '5500
psi_curve[9] = 20 '6000
psi_curve[10] = 20 '6500
psi_curve[11] = 20 '7000
Compare with Map1:

Quote:
'Base map 1
psi_curve[0] = 40 '1500
psi_curve[1] = 40 '2000
psi_curve[2] = 40 '2500
psi_curve[3] = 40 '3000
psi_curve[4] = 40 '3500
psi_curve[5] = 40 '4000
psi_curve[6] = 40 '4500
psi_curve[7] = 40 '5000
psi_curve[8] = 40 '5500
psi_curve[9] = 40 '6000
psi_curve[10] = 40 '6500
psi_curve[11] = 40 '7000

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#756)
Old

Default 02-22-2015, 12:59 PM

0. Thanks again. That looks like the kind of map I would want. Perhaps I can eventually make one that boosts a bit more at lower RPM but still tapers off at higher.

1. There is discussion on the proper way to let the car adapt to the JB4/piggyback. (3rd gear pulls only to allow for longer integration times. Some say don't drive hard right away. Others drive hard.) What is your opinion on this? I haven't seen any specific instructions on this from any of the piggy manufacturers. How long is long? Do on/off ignition cycles matter? What is actually going on, if anything? Is this just short term multiplicative trims adjusting long term additive trims?

2. Does the JB4 have the ability to change timing directly? This short post states that some piggies have the ability adjust through the crank position sensor offsetting (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1082791)

3. Concerning exhaust/catalytic converter temperature that a competitor's videos discusses (http://www.dinancars.com/dinantronic...-how-it-works/), they state they modify the O2 sensor signal and fuel flow signal (short term trim?) to achieve the correct AFR. Is this even necessary if you are not going overboard with the added boost? Is the equivalent achieved by JB4 on Maps 2+? I have this description (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=24).

4. It make sense to me how TMAP and MAP signals are intercepted by the "black box" and rewritten prior to deliver to the DME. However, how are CAM signals re-written if the JB4 is not electrically connected in series with the two CAN wires? I presume you can read and write since you can do the exhaust flap business. Is there some sort of sniffer that waits around for the desired signal and then writes a "corrected" signal after the original signal? I'll understand if you can't say, but simply stating that you can write to the CAN is good enough to provide me comfort the JB4 can do the same and more than a $2500 competitor.
(#757)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2015, 04:13 PM

Just as a short preface it's worth nothing that other than myself, you're not likely to speak to an engineer who has designed and tuned one of these systems from start to finish. Normally on forums you'll be speaking with salesmen who are simply repeating talking points provided by some engineer. From time to time you'll speak with a tuner who has changed values within a system that some other engineer designed. But to find quality discussion and accurate candid information is fairly difficult. Much of what I read others saying about their systems and its capabilities is questionable.

I should also note that this is a highly competitive market and much of what the JB4 is capable of doing no other system can currently do. My answers are going to be somewhat vague as I don't want to give our would be competitors too many ideas.

1) Regarding adaption, it's largely over valued. The DME will adapt relatively quickly provided the piggyback is setup properly. The JB4 itself will also adapt to each map. For the S55 these JB4 adaption routines are relatively short. That said every now and again I'll hear of something throwing a fault when first installing a tune and beating on the car. Sometimes these are rouge codes due to adaption on the JB4 or DME end happening at too slow of a pace. Other times they are legitimate issues from the install or vehicle hardware. As is always the case if you ever get a fault code read it and then determine a course of action. Even if that course of action is only to delete it and see if it comes back up.

2) Regarding timing, it can be manipulated several ways. CPS offsetting (requires a wire to the crank position sensor), is just one of those ways. The JB4 supports CPS but it's not implemented on the S55 currently. I should note the JB4 is the only system that lets you monitor engine timing within its datalogs and all JB4 maps run appropriate timing curves.

3) If you are talking about Dinan's videos, the two or three I've seen related to piggybacks have some technical fact, some technical nonsense, and several implications that I don't think are true. Out of professional courtesy to Dinan & their customers I'll just leave it at that.

Boost, timing, and AFR all have a direct impact on EGT, which is modeled within the DME and used for internal calculations. If you run timing too retarded, AFR too lean, and/or boost too high, you could potentially create conditions that would melt something. The JB4 adjusts short & long term fuel trims properly, which again can be reviewed and verified in JB4 datalogs, and none of the maps included carry any significant risk of damaging exhaust components.

4) Simply getting CAN access is a relatively simple from hardware perspective. Getting CAN and doing something useful with it within a tuning environment is much more challenging. Once you are on the bus there are really infinite possibilities. The limit is only what you're able to figure out how to do.

Burger Motorsports

(#758)
Old

Car: 328i
Default 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

On that note, does the stage 1 (non JB4/canbus) also adapt the short and long term fuel trims?
(#759)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-23-2015, 11:20 AM

Any tune without CANbus & fuel control can't read or alter fuel trims. Instead it has to rely on staying within the range allowed by the trim adaption or take the risk of running outside the range causing issues. The Stage1 tune is designed to stay within the trim range.

Burger Motorsports

(#760)
Old

Default 02-23-2015, 11:28 AM

Gotcha. So stage 1 with JB4 = modified fuel trims. Stage 1 (non JB4) = stock trims?

Sorry for being slow
(#761)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-23-2015, 11:33 AM

Stage1 with the JB4 is implemented the same as the stand alone Stage1 unit. It's not until you get in to Stage2+ that fundamental changes are made to the tuning strategy.

Burger Motorsports

(#762)
Old

Default 02-23-2015, 11:35 AM

Cool. Is Stage 2 at sea level with non-ethanol 93 and stock hardware "safe"?
(#763)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-23-2015, 11:37 AM

All maps are considered safe and fairly well tested within their recommendations criteria within the first post.

Burger Motorsports

(#764)
Old

Car: 135
Default 02-23-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

Not satisfied I decided to whip up a Stage1 alpha tune and after some work had boost up to 24psi and power up to a more respectable ~480rw.

Work continues!
Impressive as always, Terry. Do they use bigger turbos? Just wondering why 24psi achievable there and not other cars?
(#765)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-23-2015, 03:53 PM

Keep reading OEM turbos can hit 27psi at higher RPM. Prob 30psi+ at lower RPM if you wanted. But peak power seems to fall around 25-26psi.

Burger Motorsports

(#766)
Old

Default 02-26-2015, 08:00 PM

Any plans for a 100 percent E 85 fuel tune?
(#767)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM

Who knows what the future holds...

Burger Motorsports

(#768)
Old

Default 02-26-2015, 08:58 PM

Help please. For installation of CAN on a manual, there's two large bundles of wires going into the DME. Top bundle has a yellow wire. Can't see a blue and black in this bundle. Bottom bundle is going to be a serious issue...

(top bundle opened up showing bottom bottom bundle as well)
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/nj1eivpdx...pT_fUpqI5-Ajta

(top bundle)
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yk4klasnq...3131LvAbtvWhca

7 more

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1mm43gxih...hGkd-mizhx1HVa

Last edited by pigwet; 02-26-2015 at 10:29 PM..
(#769)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-26-2015, 09:03 PM

It should be in the top bundle. I had one apart the other day. If you need tech support just email in a photo of what you're looking at. To myself, or tech support. Although, I'm only going to be around for 15 min more or so tonight.

Burger Motorsports

(#770)
Old

Default 02-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Thanks Terry. Added pics above. Will look again for black and blue...not black and green?
(#771)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-26-2015, 09:09 PM

It appears the CANbus wires are not in the top bundle on yours. I'll have to get with some other S55 MT cars for reference. Until then you can leave the CANbus wires off and the tuner will function as a Stage1 without them. Regardless of what other connectors you install.

*** EDIT *** Checked another local S55 MT cars and the wires were in the top bundle. BMW must have moved them to the bottom bundle in yours. I've noticed sometimes they invert the DCT connectors as well for no apparent reason. Let me know if you're unable to reach the bottom connector. Maybe you'll make a good first test candidate for the OBDII port location I've been working with.

Burger Motorsports

(#772)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-27-2015, 05:32 PM

Hey guys,

If anyone has time to test out this new map switch indicator drop me an email. Especially interested in MT cars where the shifter knob isn't currently an option.

Burger Motorsports

(#773)
Old

Default 02-28-2015, 10:03 PM

Question on the JB stage 1. Can E85 mixture be ran on the tune for additional power? Will JB stage 1 thrown a tuner code?
(#774)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black335i
Question on the JB stage 1. Can E85 mixture be ran on the tune for additional power? Will JB stage 1 thrown a tuner code?
Stage1 does not support E85 use and we don't expect Stage1 to trigger tuner codes.

Burger Motorsports

(#775)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2015, 09:07 PM

Hey guys,

I have a 9/2014 production date MT car missing CANbus wires from the harness bundle. I'm wondering if its a production date related change. Can you MT guys with CANbus wires connected check your production dates? Thx.

Burger Motorsports