JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335i
Default 6 cylinder misfire but no drop to map4, can't get a full run. HELP PLEASE!!!! - 06-19-2020, 08:13 AM

So the car went from running fine on map5 to not being able to go past 4k rpm due to a 6th cylinder misfire. I reset the code and it's gone and the engine runs fine with no misfire condition or skippage. I've been messing with the settings based off of the info on the forums but I haven't had any luck. My FF was maxed at 150 and I've since dropped it down to 70. It has been relearned to 79 I believe. I dropped my PID down from 25 to 10 I believe, you'll be able to see this in the log. Currently running on map6 with the highest boost target being 18psi.

Mods:
DCI
BFMIC
3" ***
JB4 w/BEF (G5 ISO)
BMS PI Kit w/ JB4 PI controller
Stage 2 fuel pump on full e85

And no this isn't a full log because as I stated before, the misfire condition does not allow for the car to be ran out to redline, nor would I do that because I don't wanna blow my engine.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M2_R1_200619_064338.csv (8.6 KB, 120 views)
(#2)
Old

Default 06-19-2020, 08:26 AM

And for further information, I can get the car to do a pull without misfiring, but I don't have a log for that because I wasn't expecting it to do a pull. I can do one when I get off of work and attach that as well if the current log isn't good enough.
(#3)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 E93
Default 06-19-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikRox268
So the car went from running fine on map5 to not being able to go past 4k rpm due to a 6th cylinder misfire. I reset the code and it's gone and the engine runs fine with no misfire condition or skippage. I've been messing with the settings based off of the info on the forums but I haven't had any luck. My FF was maxed at 150 and I've since dropped it down to 70. It has been relearned to 79 I believe. I dropped my PID down from 25 to 10 I believe, you'll be able to see this in the log. Currently running on map6 with the highest boost target being 18psi.

Mods:
DCI
BFMIC
3" ***
JB4 w/BEF (G5 ISO)
BMS PI Kit w/ JB4 PI controller
Stage 2 fuel pump on full e85

And no this isn't a full log because as I stated before, the misfire condition does not allow for the car to be ran out to redline, nor would I do that because I don't wanna blow my engine.
What plugs ? What gap ? Have you moved plug / coil around with another cylinder to see if it follows ?
Why lower pid ? You are now under boost target.
Meth scaling when using BMS pi controller should be set to 99
Also trims are crashing as pi kicks in.
(#4)
Old

Default 06-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Stock plugs, can't remember the gap. Stock coils. Didn't move the plugs or coils because at lower boost level targets the car doesn't misfire at all but will be changing plugs this weekend either way. I know I'm under boost target. The reason for the lower PID is because at the default level of 25, the car has this issue, and from what I've read, the PID gain effects how much play PWM has in regards to the FF Curve so having a smaller range while trying to troubleshoot this issue seemed to be the right move to make in my opinion unless I'm misinterpreting the information from the forums wrong and if so, that's why I'm here as well. Via my research on this, I saw a post stating that there is no difference between 99 and 100 for meth scaling. I've tried to get an 100% no **** answer on this and no dice. Also haven't gotten a reason to why 99 or 100 over the other so I left it at 100. And I noticed the trims situation that you brought up, however I've been focusing on the 3k to 4k rpm range when the timing drops from 13.5 to 7.8, that's the range where the misfire occurs and the car begins to stumble. I assumed the drop in trims were in response to the misfire condition. Am I wrong in that assumption?
(#5)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 E93
Default 06-19-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikRox268
Stock plugs, can't remember the gap. Stock coils. Didn't move the plugs or coils because at lower boost level targets the car doesn't misfire at all but will be changing plugs this weekend either way. I know I'm under boost target. The reason for the lower PID is because at the default level of 25, the car has this issue, and from what I've read, the PID gain effects how much play PWM has in regards to the FF Curve so having a smaller range while trying to troubleshoot this issue seemed to be the right move to make in my opinion unless I'm misinterpreting the information from the forums wrong and if so, that's why I'm here as well. Via my research on this, I saw a post stating that there is no difference between 99 and 100 for meth scaling. I've tried to get an 100% no **** answer on this and no dice. Also haven't gotten a reason to why 99 or 100 over the other so I left it at 100. And I noticed the trims situation that you brought up, however I've been focusing on the 3k to 4k rpm range when the timing drops from 13.5 to 7.8, that's the range where the misfire occurs and the car begins to stumble. I assumed the drop in trims were in response to the misfire condition. Am I wrong in that assumption?
The higher the boost, the more stress on parts. I would leave PID at 25, and if you run a lower boost map, most likely you wont misfire because less stress.
Essentially, you smoothed things out with lower pid because its limiting boost now.
Next up is plugs. Old stock plugs will run great at stock boost levels( on stock turbos), but when you turn things up, it will show its weakness. I would start with plugs and evaluate after swapping them.
Meth at 99 lets the jb4 know its running a BMS controller.
Timing drops in the range you describe are normal. Its the timing curve, not actual drops. Im sure plugs will most likely clear things up. Once you do, relog and then fuel bias can be worked on to keep fuel pressures happy and trims in check.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-08-2020, 10:58 AM

Sorry for taking so long but with the 4th of July holiday coming and passing I was pretty busy but I was able to get some logs done and some maintenance done as well. So first off, I'd like to say that you were right about the spark plugs, the curved tip of my spark plug in my 6th cylinder was non existent. I just found it weird that it wouldn't misfire at lower boost, especially after I saw that but it's fixed now. So I now have Autolite XP 5682s, 1 step colder gapped @ 0.018. I also soaked and scrubbed and cleaned the valves as best I could...the car REALLY needed it. So I have a lot of datalogs to upload but I'll list them below so you know which ones are which.

Datalog #1: Map 2 log
Datalog #2: Map 5 log
Datalog #3: Same Map 5 log as previous except with DB changes
Datalog #4: Map 5 log after reset of all adaptations and turning off wg adaptation
Datalog#5: Same parameters as Datalog #4 but FF was increased from 70 to 90.

So other than a quick eval of the datalogs, my main questions are:

Should stock turbos be losing boost around 4700 RPM?
When FF flatlines at 78 does that mean it's maxed out?
No matter what I do with DB or FF, my boost, boost target, FF and WGDC in my Map 5 logs are nowhere close to identical to the same parameters in my Map 2 log and this perplexes me so any insight would be great!!!

Also, I'd like to apologize because I know my post are pretty lengthy but I know you guys have way more things to do than pay attention to me so I try to get it all out of the way at one time. Again, thanks for any help that you can give, it's greatly appreciated. And the car pulls fine, pulls like a freight train, I just want to make sure I'm not leaving power on the table. When I bought it it was running and MHD flash only tune and hitting 20-21 psi for max boost, would like to get back to that or really REALLY close.
Attached Files
File Type: csv JB4 Mobile Logs map2_e85.csv (11.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: csv JB4 Mobile Logs map5_e85.csv (14.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: csv map5 070720 scary.csv (17.9 KB, 106 views)
File Type: csv map5 070720 no wg adapt.csv (17.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: csv map5 070720 ff 90_1.csv (15.2 KB, 106 views)