N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW M140i
Default 118002 Mixture Ecu: mixture too rich - 12-24-2018, 05:54 AM

so ive had this error code come up the other night i tried to reset on jb4 but as im on version 9 it wont clear (or it does clear but then comes back) i have tried to clear on bimmerlink to with ign on but nothing happens, car starts and drives fine with no issues pulls hard still, just wondering if any pointers to help clear error. car runs on shell vpower

Mods

BEF
jb4 map 7
decet
80/20 meth mix
afe panel filter
ewg harness
fuel harness
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 12-24-2018, 10:00 AM

Try the new firmware?

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_11_TEST4: Click Here for Firmware --> JB4_B48_B58_11_TEST4.hex

1) Potential fix to diagnostic code clearing bug that has cropped up with the latest software builds.
2) Adjustment to absolute target mapping, lots more testing needed. Send in some logs if running absolute target maps like map7.
3) Changed map4 to low boost VALET map.

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |
(#3)
Old

Default 12-24-2018, 01:24 PM

I’ve been told not to download latest version as the software is slower. Guessing it’s a bug with code that’s why it won’t clear.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2018 340i
Default 12-24-2018, 02:55 PM

+1 BMW had an update a few months ago which blocked many code readers from clearing codes, as well as JB4 on version 9. Version 11 corrected code clearing.

Terry explains it something between pages 56-58 iirc on the JB4 info thread.
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-24-2018, 02:56 PM

Update the firmware.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 12-24-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louism140i_
Iíve been told not to download latest version as the software is slower. Guessing itís a bug with code thatís why it wonít clear.
I'm not sure why it would be slower on the new firmware?

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |
(#7)
Old

Default 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Hi terry code won’t clear and it’s says no description underneath performance is still spot on, you don’t think the code will effect my performance etc. I’m guessing version 9 just doesn’t clear codes
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Update to latest firmware that clears codes. But it's just a false alarm warning, won't hurt anything.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2016 435ix GC
Default 08-24-2019, 09:47 PM

How can I get rid of the code for good?

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
H&R Springs, Sways, Strut Tower bar, 19"x10 Rotiforms, Too much carbon goodness
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM

Depends why you are triggering it but the back end flash map opens up a lot of additional options with code management.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 09-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Depends why you are triggering it but the back end flash map opens up a lot of additional options with code management.
I have the BEF map installed now on BMS Map EWG Race. How do I get rid of this code for good?

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
HRP Cold Air Intake, Charge Pipe, Turbo Up Pipe, Turbo Intake Pipe, BMS Intercooler, Axle Back Exhaust, JB4
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-13-2019, 06:01 PM

Email me a log and the BEF loaded. terry@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Email me a log and the BEF loaded. terry@burgertuning.com
Hey Terry,

I have sent you two emails. One with the logs and one with the MAP I am using. They both have my username JLBimmer in title. Thanks again for your help.

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe
(#14)
Old

Default Understanding Mixture Too Rich Code per BMW Documentation - 09-16-2019, 08:34 AM

This is for code 118002 Mixture ECU: Mixture too rich

I have done some research on this an have found some documentation from BMW to better help understand what sets off this code. I have also compiled a check list to run down and diagnose route cause. This is not the exact code that BMW references but its the same behavior and may be a good start. That said full disclosure all cars are different, I am not a BMW Certified Mech, I do not work for BMW, and am not affiliated with BMS.

Why
This code is caused by Mixture Adaptation fault

When
Diagnostic function monitors air fuel ratio at idle up to under 1600 RPM. This fault code is logged when fault remains longer than one minute.

Behavior I have observed on my own car.
- Start the car cold or hot
- wait one minute parked or driving
- code deploys and I get a check engine light
When I check the code with JB4 I get the same message: 118002 Mixture ECU: Mixture too rich. This comes up at every single start and can be reset. If I delete this code while afft idle or driving at low rpm the code does not go away but the check engine light does (I have latest firmware). When I delete this code while driving harder or after a hard pull it goes away.

Two Possible Root Causes are possible faulty installation, configuration, or hardware, (please reference diagnostic check list below). The other is possibility is also documented by BMW as an over-sensitive reading at Cold Start and or cold climate climate. BMW Fault code document attached (page 11 )

Issue - Solution 1.
Use diagnosis Check List. run down the list and see if its that simple
Diagnostic fault code logged owing to defective:
- Oxygen Sensor Pre Catalyst
- HFM
- Injection Nozzle
- Intake Manifold Pressure sensor
- Leaks in and around induction system (positive crankcase ventilation, oil cap, oil dipstick, tank evap vent line, brake booster)
- Leak in exhaust system (exhaust side cylinder head to post catalyst oxygen sensor) fuel presupply pump
- Rail pressure sensor
- Camshaft position sensor
- Intake Air temperature
- Poor quality gasoline
Fault code is logged 1 minute after.

Issue - Solution 2.
BMW may cover this under warranty if yo have not messed with your DME by flashing. They have a buletin out for this (Attached). If you no longer have a warranty then you will need to get the MHD app an install the BMS Back End Flash. Once installed that flash will need to get it in order to make the changes recommended by BMW. The solution may require an adjustment to a value in the DME that will raise the sensitivity ceiling.

I personally have exhausted solution 1, and am on solution 2 now. I will keep you all posted.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10153691-9999Mixture too Rich (1).pdf (161.5 KB, 12 views)

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe

Last edited by JLBimmer; 09-16-2019 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Fault Code document too large to upload
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-16-2019, 10:16 AM

It's just a fuel scalar related issue I think so can be fixed in the BEF.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Default 09-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Your last BEF fixed it. This is wonderful Terry you are a genius!!!!. I loaded the BEF and performed a few tests.Deleted codes first

- Cold Start > wait 5 min > Shut Down > Wait 5 min > Start > Wait 5 min > Shut Down
- Start Warm Up > Test run > 3 pulls in 3rd gear > Stop > JB4 Read Code
- Warm Start > JB4 Read Code > wait 5 min > Read code > Verify and shut down

Success no issue and no code. This rocks, first time since Ive owned the upgrades that Ive not gotten code. Thanks so much Terry!!!

JL Bimmer
2016 435ix Gran Coupe