N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '12 135i
Default What does the FUEL BIAS settings do? - 02-10-2020, 11:58 AM

I'm trying to richen up my AFR and am wondering if the FUEL BIAS settings help with that? If so, is there a "guide" to help tune these settings similar to the guide to tune the WGDC & FF? I have searched and have seen screenshots of peoples settings FUEL BIAS settings but not an explanation of what and how they affect fueling. For reference below is a log from this morning.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-10 06_18_08_Map-6.csv (3.8 KB, 7 views)

Jim
'12 135i DCT N55 : Swift Spec R springs : Koni adjustable shocks : G.C. Street Camber plates : E92 M3 FSB, front & rear control arm bits : VRSF 7” HD FMIC & inlet/outlets & : Phoenix Racing CP : WhiteLine RSFBs & diff bushings: 1M front strut tower brace : JB4 map 5 & BEF : Quaife LSD
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 335 N55
Default 02-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuehl
I'm trying to richen up my AFR and am wondering if the FUEL BIAS settings help with that? If so, is there a "guide" to help tune these settings similar to the guide to tune the WGDC & FF? I have searched and have seen screenshots of peoples settings FUEL BIAS settings but not an explanation of what and how they affect fueling. For reference below is a log from this morning.
fuel bias are for people with port injection, you can try setting Fuel-OL to 80, probably won't help much though...
(#3)
Old

Default 02-10-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyducati
fuel bias are for people with port injection, you can try setting Fuel-OL to 80, probably won't help much though...
OK, thanks for the reply!

Jim
'12 135i DCT N55 : Swift Spec R springs : Koni adjustable shocks : G.C. Street Camber plates : E92 M3 FSB, front & rear control arm bits : VRSF 7” HD FMIC & inlet/outlets & : Phoenix Racing CP : WhiteLine RSFBs & diff bushings: 1M front strut tower brace : JB4 map 5 & BEF : Quaife LSD
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 02-10-2020, 04:08 PM

Fuel bias is for users that have our BMS integrated controller & port Injection.

It allows users to add / subtract fuel where they see fit (based on logs).

If you don’t have the controller / PI- no need to mess with those values- leave them
@ 0

In your log- your trims look to be high- probably because your FOL is set to “0”- bump that up, until your trims come closer to center. 40 or 60 would be a nice place to start for that value

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-10-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Fuel bias is for users that have our BMS integrated controller & port Injection.

It allows users to add / subtract fuel where they see fit (based on logs).

If you don’t have the controller / PI- no need to mess with those values- leave them
@ 0

In your log- your trims look to be high- probably because your FOL is set to “0”- bump that up, until your trims come closer to center. 40 or 60 would be a nice place to start for that value
Thanks, I'll start by setting my FOL to 40. I set it to 0 based on your recommendation that I make the settings match the large turbo thread since I have the PS2.

Jim
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-11-2020, 12:57 AM

You’ll want to match your duty bias settings, but omit certain settings if certain mods aren’t in your setup, in your case PI. No worries, I can see where it might be a little confusing

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 02-11-2020, 10:08 AM

It's getting closer, still need an adjustment of the duty bias.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-11 06_18_21_Map-6.csv (3.7 KB, 4 views)

Jim
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-11-2020, 04:56 PM

From 1.5k-4.5k try setting your duty bias to 60.

Do 2-3 WOT Adaptation pulls & then log

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 02-12-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Made that adjustment and here's my 4th pull, still not hitting target. I keep raising the duty bias and still not hitting target so this weekend I'll check for a boost leak. I checked a few weeks ago after I completed the PS2 upgrade but haven't checked lately. Timing and trims seem ok, just want the AFR a little fatter. It looks like I can tune the WGDC and FF settings to bring them closer.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-11_19_12_03_Map-6_4th_pull.csv (4.6 KB, 1 views)

Jim

Last edited by jpuehl; 02-12-2020 at 09:49 AM..
(#10)
Old

Default 02-12-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:

OMG this is so frustrating. On the way home this evening I decided to log another pull to see if I could reproduce yesterdays pull, within reason. Everything was the same today as it was yesterday when i logged the pull; weather conditions, time of day, road, process used to do the pull. The only difference is that the car had 16 miles more than yesterday. First pull I had 0* or almost no timing for most of the pull. Seeing this on the gauges during the pull, I turned around, and did the pull again, this time I had some timing, not as good as yesterday. WTF! Is the JB4 causing this inconsistency? This certainly can't be relied on when I race.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-12_17_47_42_Map-6_pull_1.csv (5.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: csv 2020-02-12_17_49_56_Map-6_pull_2.csv (4.5 KB, 2 views)

Jim
(#11)
Old

Default 02-13-2020, 09:26 AM

Logged another pull this morning with no "learning" pulls first and had good timing. All parameters were the same as last night except the IATs were cooler. This just adds to the frustration.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-13_06_19_32_Map-6.csv (4.8 KB, 1 views)

Jim
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-13-2020, 10:24 AM

I wonder if your getting an inaccurate ign_1 reading.

You can see it 0.0 out during some pulls, but then I do see some timing being registered on your other 5

Your last log looked pretty clean/ solid, whereas the prior 2- seem hit /miss on ign1

-I’m curious what’s happens on lower boost- wondering if ign1 stays consistent or goes in/out

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 02-13-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I wonder if your getting an inaccurate ign_1 reading.

You can see it 0.0 out during some pulls, but then I do see some timing being registered on your other 5

Your last log looked pretty clean/ solid, whereas the prior 2- seem hit /miss on ign1

-I’m curious what’s happens on lower boost- wondering if ign1 stays consistent or goes in/out
This mornings log looks pretty good and the 2nd log from Wednesday was OK, better than the first. I display timing for cylinder 2 on my gauges and saw 0 at least part of the time on the 1st pull which made me try again. Timing was low on the first pull when I did get timing so I believe 0 is accurate. I'm going to try again this evening on my way home, assuming the ground is dry enough to try a pull (it's supposed to be wet all day).

Edit:

I just looked at a bunch of my logs from last weekend for map 6, which is 16 psi, and the timing on all of them is consistent and about the same as the timing on clean logs for map 6 at 17 psi. If I can't get consistent logs/timing for map 6 at 17 I may have to switch to map 1.

Jim

Last edited by jpuehl; 02-13-2020 at 11:02 AM..
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-13-2020, 08:05 PM

What are you using for fuel again? I know pure 2 makes more power at the same boost as an oem snail, so guys can run out of octane quick & timing tanks.

I personally think you have the ability to run more than 16-17 psi- just need more octane t support the hybrid turbo at this point

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 02-14-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
What are you using for fuel again? I know pure 2 makes more power at the same boost as an oem snail, so guys can run out of octane quick & timing tanks.

I personally think you have the ability to run more than 16-17 psi- just need more octane t support the hybrid turbo at this point
I use 92 octane with the BOOSTane octane booster to bring the octane up to 98. I can say that when I do a 3rd gear pull to log and I get timing the car feels awesome at 17 psi, no complaints. But it falls on it's nose when it has little or no timing. I did 2 more pulls yesterday evening without making any changes and had good timing and the car felt get. Want to get it on a Dyno sometime in the next couple of months.

Edit:
I did another pull this morning and the car ran great and had good timing, still not hitting boost but I'll be checking for a boost leak this weekend and possibly adding more duty bias.

Jim
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-14-2020, 09:20 AM

Sounds good keep me posted

Is there any e85 remotely close to you?

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 02-14-2020, 03:11 PM

I recently found out there's a station about 45 minutes from my house that sells E85, just need to figure the amount to add to start with something like E30.

Jim
(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-14-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I recently found out there's a station about 45 minutes from my house that sells E85, just need to figure the amount to add to start with something like E30.
Oh nice. I know a few guys who have e85 access, but it isn’t super convenient, they’ve all invested in big a$$ containers.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 02-14-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Oh nice. I know a few guys who have e85 access, but it isn’t super convenient, they’ve all invested in big a$$ containers.
I have 2 5 gallon gas cans I use to fill with 100 octane gas I use when my wife and I take our cars to drag race, that should hold me over for a little bit.

Jim
(#20)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-16-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I have 2 5 gallon gas cans I use to fill with 100 octane gas I use when my wife and I take our cars to drag race, that should hold me over for a little bit.

A couple that races together, stays together

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:

A couple that races together, stays together
We also Auto-cross race my car together.

Jim
(#22)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 08:36 PM

Here's the latest log, I did this pull on Sunday. This is the 4th of 4 pulls.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2020-02-16 11_06_59_Map-6.csv (6.8 KB, 1 views)

Jim
(#23)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-16-2020, 11:13 PM

Outside of some noise on cyl 5 this looks okay.

How does the. Car feel?

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Default Yesterday, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Outside of some noise on cyl 5 this looks okay.

How does the. Car feel?
The car feels great but the "noise" changes cylinders all the time it seems. The pull before this also showed 5 having some noise but the 2 pulls before that showed 5 with ok timing and 3 having some noise. I also notice that when reviewing the logs, the cylinder with timing inconsistent timing also changes so I can't focus on 1 to resolve the issue.

Jim
(#25)
Old
Super Moderator

Default Yesterday, 07:10 PM

I always remind people you’ll probably never get “perfect” timing. These cars have timing corrections even stock.

Just keep an eye out for a cylinder lagging behind more than a few degrees, and big timing drops across the board.

Cylinder 5 is also consistently a noisy cylinder in general

Burger Motorsports