N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1201)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-12-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Map 4 is for diagnostics at the moment. Soon will be the economy map. And 3rd gear runs are fine for autopid.
Thanks for that Terry, but just to clarify: The CAN is active on all other maps but NOT on map 0 because it is just bypassing the JB4? but if someone had k@t!#ss ********* and had to get it $m0gged but just didn't want to throw a check engine light then they would run map 4 because it is "stock" but still has CAN active wich can allow for the *****? Or would you even need to bypass the JB4 when getting a $m0g test? Assuming the visual inspection passed.... Sorry if that's confusing, I tent to be confusing a lot...
(#1202)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevron
Thanks for that Terry, but just to clarify: The CAN is active on all other maps but NOT on map 0 because it is just bypassing the JB4? but if someone had k@t!#ss ********* and had to get it $m0gged but just didn't want to throw a check engine light then they would run map 4 because it is "stock" but still has CAN active wich can allow for the *****? Or would you even need to bypass the JB4 when getting a $m0g test? Assuming the visual inspection passed.... Sorry if that's confusing, I tent to be confusing a lot...
Map 0 disables all CAN including code deletion. The new autoclear function won't give *** readiness so you won't be passing any smog checks with it. Nor should you be trying to do so with ******* *********.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1203)
Old

Default 02-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Ok I figured trying to smog with out kittens is a bad idea but I don't want to have to spend hours installing ***** and then take them off again for smog, I know they will pass the sniffer tho, I've had plenty of cars pass the sniffer test with flying colors and no felines were present...
(#1204)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-12-2011, 11:38 AM

For that unique case I imagine you'd want to keep an old fashioned ***** around the garage. Most people are tossing them these days as the basic features are built in. Should be able to find one cheap.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1205)
Old

Default 02-12-2011, 11:45 AM

Ok cool thanks, I didn't know that would be an option but that gives me more reason to take action now, I've been procrastinating getting some ***** cuz I don't want the drama when the time comes, lol, I've even considered registering my car in a state that doesn't do smog, being military gives that wonderful privilege, but when it comes time to renew my base decal I'm sure theyll want proof of a good smog regardless of state registration laws....
(#1206)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 02-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue
Do you get the connected usb sound when you plug into your computer? Maybe the usb cable came off the JB4.
I don't get anything when I plug in the USB cable. I'm sure I attached the cable well to the JB4 control unit. I'll check the driver settings first as Terry suggest. Thanks.
(#1207)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 02-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Ok cool thanks, I didn't know that would be an option but that gives me more reason to take action now, I've been procrastinating getting some ***** cuz I don't want the drama when the time comes, lol, I've even considered registering my car in a state that doesn't do smog, being military gives that wonderful privilege, but when it comes time to renew my base decal I'm sure theyll want proof of a good smog regardless of state registration laws....
base decals don't require anything of the sort

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#1208)
Old
Boost

Car: The Short Bus
Default 02-12-2011, 03:46 PM

I think I'm missing something here.
If map 0 disables steering controls and mine arent working no matter what Ive tried.
How would you go back to map1/2 etc without a laptop?
For my issue I can connect to the jb4 just fine and log but cant turn on any guage hijacking. tried 2/5 and send but never got a confirmation from the dash lights.
Ive actually never got anything to do anything telling me its working other than the connected message in the software.
I didn't even think of it before but is the hijacking only lci compatible? Im in an 07.
running 1/21 firmware as reported by the software.

Last edited by Scrufy; 02-12-2011 at 05:51 PM..
(#1209)
Old

Default 02-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude2perfect
base decals don't require anything of the sort
I definitely didn't get a base decal because my Idaho registered boosted Honda Civic wouldn't pass a California Smog test, smog isnt required where my car was registered but because it's being operated in Cali then it must meet Cali laws, but only for the sake of getting a decal, I know this for a fact, I had to sell my 304.5 fwhp Civic because it would'nt pass Cali Smog, I even paid $400 for a hiflow *** just to be "legal"...
(#1210)
Old

Default 02-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I definitely didn't get a base decal because my Idaho registered boosted Honda Civic wouldn't pass a California Smog test, smog isnt required where my car was registered but because it's being operated in Cali then it must meet Cali laws, but only for the sake of getting a decal, I know this for a fact, I had to sell my 304.5 fwhp Civic because it would'nt pass Cali Smog, I even paid $400 for a hiflow *** just to be "legal"...
I understand that but, you said that "regardless of the state they will want a good smog" which is not true. You have to be in compliance with the state that you have your car registered to in order to obtain a post decal. The base doesn't make you pass any tests to get one though.

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

(#1211)
Old

Default 02-12-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I understand that but, you said that "regardless of the state they will want a good smog" which is not true. You have to be in compliance with the state that you have your car registered to in order to obtain a post decal. The base doesn't make you pass any tests to get one though.
No, it's definitely true, I had a valid Idaho Smog, required for Boise but NOT for Caldwell, which is my home of record, so I went out of my way to get a smog that wasn't even required for registration and that wasn't good enough the gate Nazi's, they said it has to be California compliant, regardless of state of registration, but only if the car is more than 4 years old which is why most people don't ever have to show smog certs when getting a decal, my car will be four years old this year...
(#1212)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 02-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongen71
I don't get anything when I plug in the USB cable. I'm sure I attached the cable well to the JB4 control unit. I'll check the driver settings first as Terry suggest. Thanks.
I had the same problem one time after a Microsoft update. I reinstalled the usb drivers included with the jb4 zip file, rebooted my computer after it was done and all was well.

(#1213)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM

I have full bolt ons, what is the absolute minimum octane required to run map 7? It doesn't seem like that much of jump from jb3 map 7, I know that was somewhere around 15.6?
(#1214)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrufy
I think I'm missing something here.
If map 0 disables steering controls and mine arent working no matter what Ive tried.
How would you go back to map1/2 etc without a laptop?
For my issue I can connect to the jb4 just fine and log but cant turn on any guage hijacking. tried 2/5 and send but never got a confirmation from the dash lights.
Ive actually never got anything to do anything telling me its working other than the connected message in the software.
I didn't even think of it before but is the hijacking only lci compatible? Im in an 07.
running 1/21 firmware as reported by the software.
You probably made an install mistake and have no CAN access. I've seen it a few times.

Burger Motorsports

(#1215)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-12-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbreeE90
I have full bolt ons, what is the absolute minimum octane required to run map 7? It doesn't seem like that much of jump from jb3 map 7, I know that was somewhere around 15.6?
98-100 octane under most cases to optimize power with it. Jb3 map 7 varied from 14psi to 16psi depending on conditions.

Burger Motorsports

(#1216)
Old
Boost

Car: The Short Bus
Default 02-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You probably made an install mistake and have no
CAN access
Thanks Terry,
Yeah I just sent you an email- I'll tear it all back apart and re-do it.
(#1217)
Old

Default 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
No, it's definitely true, I had a valid Idaho Smog, required for Boise but NOT for Caldwell, which is my home of record, so I went out of my way to get a smog that wasn't even required for registration and that wasn't good enough the gate Nazi's, they said it has to be California compliant, regardless of state of registration, but only if the car is more than 4 years old which is why most people don't ever have to show smog certs when getting a decal, my car will be four years old this year...
Never heard of that before, must be another gay California thing

(#1218)
Old

Default 02-12-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Never heard of that before, must be another gay California thing
True, I'm done with this state already! Lolz, but I like the beach and weather...
(#1219)
Old

Default 02-13-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ
I had the same problem one time after a Microsoft update. I reinstalled the usb drivers included with the jb4 zip file, rebooted my computer after it was done and all was well.
Thanks - it workedŽ

Adding a couple of logs on JB4 map 2, BMS DCI, AR c@tless DP's, 98 octane RON (Shell V-Power). On the last run I was actually racing a E92 M3 from approx. 100 to 220 km/h. I started behind him but gained 2 CL by 220 km/h

I have noticed that my DCT is much more responsive now with JB4 and especially downshifts goes smoother and faster now - thanks Terry for a great product.

I activated the PID - should I just leave it on map 2 or could I move to a higher boost level?
(#1220)
Old

Default 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM

finally ordered, can't wait to install!

(#1221)
Old
M3 Eater (m3eater)

Car: 07 E90 Non Sport...Sleeper
Send a message via AIM to mobilefitt
Default 02-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Is this on an MT?? (off topic)

I notice that WPM on my logs are much higher, but I am running map 3. WPM has always been hight on my car compared to most of the logs I see and everyone says...oh it a boost leak...... accept Terry. I remember that on map 7 jb3 wpm would look like your and on map 8 jb3 I would be bumping 100 (the top line of jpeg). Now the jb4, seeing the targets lets me know when I reach the target at least.

Quote:
Thanks - it workedŽ

Adding a couple of logs on JB4 map 2, BMS DCI, AR c@tless DP's, 98 octane RON (Shell V-Power). On the last run I was actually racing a E92 M3 from approx. 100 to 220 km/h. I started behind him but gained 2 CL by 220 km/h

I have noticed that my DCT is much more responsive now with JB4 and especially downshifts goes smoother and faster now - thanks Terry for a great product.

I activated the PID - should I just leave it on map 2 or could I move to a higher boost level?
(#1222)
Old
Vintage

Car: F10 N55 PWG
Default 02-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Map2 on 93 octane with Adaptive PID enabled...Car is running really really good. Its even more responsive and feels really POWERFUL. Thing is a beast, good work T!

2014 F10 535i N55 PWG
(#1223)
Old

Default 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilefitt
Is this on an MT?? (off topic)

I notice that WPM on my logs are much higher, but I am running map 3. WPM has always been hight on my car compared to most of the logs I see and everyone says...oh it a boost leak...... accept Terry. I remember that on map 7 jb3 wpm would look like your and on map 8 jb3 I would be bumping 100 (the top line of jpeg). Now the jb4, seeing the targets lets me know when I reach the target at least.
No - it's a 7 speed DCT. What is the maximum PWM allowed? Trying to learn here
(#1224)
Old
M3 Eater (m3eater)

Car: 07 E90 Non Sport...Sleeper
Send a message via AIM to mobilefitt
Default 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM

me as well.... notice how in your second log the pwm is much lower than the first. Looks like the car adapted to the first pull and got a bit more efficient with the wastegate. The goal is to get all the boost with as little wastegate activity as possible. Of course you want it to close when you stomp on the pedal until you reach the target and then you want to see it taper off while holding the boost. As far as max pwm allowed, Thats a good question and i think it varies on a car to car basis. I know when I see top of the chart across the board.... I usually see that I am not reaching target and I have blown off coupler somewhere. When I send logs to Terry, he says they look ok but others on post have commented about how high they are. I would love mine to look like yours!
(#1225)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks - it workedŽ
Based on that log map 2 is as high as you should go. PWM is going to vary greatly based on the car, conditions, and mapping, so there is no right answer there. For logs just email in the CSV if you ever want me to look at anything.

Burger Motorsports