N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2015 BMW 335xi
Default PS2 Boost / WGDC Issues - 08-26-2021, 08:30 PM

Hi Steve / others,

Just had PS2 installed yesterday along with turbo inlet, TS BOV, TIC pipe, and some maintenance items (plugs, water pump, thermostat). Car is '15 xdrive EWG auto.

Flashed the PS2 race bef map and my JB4 map 1, eased into the throttle and threw 2 codes.

108F01 - Intake Plenum: Suspicion of leaks between exhaust turbocharger and intake valves
120308 - Charging pressure control, plausibility Pressure too low.

Tried spraying some spray nine on the chargepipe connections to see if I could see any bubbling, but didn't see anything. The shop that did the turbo has strongly assured me that everything they touched is nice and tight and if there is any leak it must be coming from the chargepipe as they did not touch anything on that side of the intercooler.

I then flashed JB4 map 3 which is what I normally use and dropped the boost add down. Took this log (attached), but the car felt super sluggish again. This time I threw an additional code along with the two previous.

122108 - Blow-off valve: Clamped closed

I cleared the codes to see if it would throw it again and recorded this 2nd log attached which is me going through the gears just easing into it since I was trying to avoid pegging the throttle and lugging the engine bad. This time the only code that was thrown was the 122108 - Blow-off valve: Clamped closed.

I did some research and I see this is just a shadow tuner code and to ignore it. Based on the logs, do you believe a boost leak or faulty boost solenoid is the likely cause of the issue? Or should I increase my default wastegate position and try more logs? I have a shop lined up to do a smoke test to see if they can identify any leak for $100 but I wanted to get some insight from you all first before I go spend more money on top of what I paid to install the turbo.

Please let me know if you want me to make any adjustments / log a different way.

Much appreciated,
Kris
Attached Files
File Type: csv log1.csv (7.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: csv log2.csv (35.3 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by n55fan; 08-26-2021 at 09:29 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 08-26-2021, 09:52 PM

If it helps I thought I would include that before I had the turbo put in I randomly got codes 104301 and 104302 intake manifold pressure too low and pressure too high.

I have also included 2 logs from before the turbo was installed, I noticed that there was a gap in boost in these logs and WGDCs were very high, although I did only have a stock diverter valve when these were taken. There was a pretty loud air noise like a boost leak before the ps2 was installed, but I figured it was probably a leak somewhere around the intercooler/TIC pipe and putting in the ps2 and new TIC pipe would solve the issue. Upon my driving yesterday I didn't really hear anything that sounded like a boost leak.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv Log 1 JB4 Map3 e20 meth.csv (14.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: csv Log 2 JB4 e20 meth.csv (38.9 KB, 44 views)
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 08-27-2021, 03:04 PM

WGDC is too high for that boost level. Smoke test won't suffice...you'll need a good pressure test at desired boost levels to look for leaks.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-30-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
WGDC is too high for that boost level. Smoke test won't suffice...you'll need a good pressure test at desired boost levels to look for leaks.
Thanks for this info. Going to pressure test the car this week and hopefully fix up the leaks.
(#5)
Old

Default 10-22-2021, 09:55 PM

Hey Steve,

Ended up finally getting around to performing a pressure test at 15 and 20 psi. Capped off line from BMS catch can to VC and line that runs from CP to intake. Heard what I believe to be a rush of air down near the turbo. Tried jacking car up and spraying soapy water around but didn't see anything.

Do you think based on the codes above there could be an issue with the wastegate not closing fully or the blow off valve staying open? Or would those issues carry additional codes on top of 108F01 and 120308? I am still only making around half of target boost at high WGDC. I also noticed that the heat shielding around the JB4 EWG connection had melted and the wires were exposed. Would a faulty JB4 EWG connection cause these issues? I tried to flash MHD PS2 OTS map with JB4 on MAP0 but the car didn't even try to make boost. Was thinking about clipping in original connections without JB4 installed and retrying the OTS map to cross out and hardware issues. Would swapping in a new MAP sensor also be a good place to start or is there any other reason why the wastegate and/or blow off valve would be staying open? Thanks