N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '07 335i 6spd
Question '07 335i FBO Logs, seems to run lean, please advise :) - 06-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the 335i and the N54. I just moved from Germany to the US, left my R32 GTR Single Turbo behind and got a new toy here.
On the R32 I built the engine and converted to single with the help of my friends, ran an old school PowerFC standalone ECU which my buddy tuned for me while I drove. We used detcans and a aem wideband, got good results this way. I do have a rough overview of maps and tuning, but only with these old methods and ecu's.

That about me, my 335 is a '07 6Spd e90 with 134k miles.
I bought it bone stock and those are the things i done in the last month:
  • JB4 G5 with 32.8 firmware
    Manzo Catback exhaust
    Fuel-It kit with walbro GSL392 in tank pump
    New OEM Low Pressure Fuel Pressure Sensor
    STETT CAI with K&N Filter
    ARM Motorsports C4tless **'s
    ARM Motorsports 5" FMIC
    ARM Motorsports charge pipe, knock off tail bov, spring cut to open at -11psi
    NGK ILZKBR7B8DG gapped to .22

I just finished the install of the **, FMIC and charge pipe today.
Note, my waste gates are rattling like champs, but are still hitting target.
I'm planing to take the engine out this winter, then have them rebuild and oversized from Turbo Lab. So they'll have to do for now

Took it out, I'm running 93 pump gas, and boost remained at 8psi, done some research and I had the menu 4 set wrong. Fixed that and it ran great!

But, my AFR's got me worried. I'm used to about 11.5 WOT at full boost, at least thats what we liked to see on the GTR, with the DI on the N54 I guess you won't go that rich, but i'm seeing 14's up until like 4700rpm at 13psi, 13's until like 5500rpm at 14psi, 12.9-13.3 all the way to rev limiter. A lot leaner than I'd have expected.

Attached is a Log File with two 3rd gear pulls, using Map 2.
Should I go ahead and do some pulls with the Map 5, just wanted to get the AFR's checked before going any further.

Thanks in advance for the support.
Also i've been reading a lot on here, its amazing what detailed DIY's are posted here!
I really appreciate it
Attached Files
File Type: csv 170610_2130.csv (13.6 KB, 48 views)
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 06-11-2017, 09:37 PM

I recommend enabling 6-cyl timing and doing a log on map 1. Map 2 had a couple pretty decent timing corrections so lets see how map 1 looks and how the other cylinders are doing on map 2.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-13-2017, 07:43 PM

Hi Steve!
Thank you for your response.

Attached are logs of a few pulls today on map 1 with 6cyl Ignition logging enabled. First file is 3rd gear only, second is one 2-3-4 gear pull.

Also a pic of the car, this was on memorial day weekend on a trip to Panama City Beach

Attached Files
File Type: csv 170613_2000.csv (42.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: csv 170613_2002.csv (12.6 KB, 30 views)
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-13-2017, 10:09 PM

Nice shot...

Map 1 looks pretty clean, so that indicates you are octane limited. I'd suggest some octane booster, E85, or meth if you want to run more boost.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old

Default 06-14-2017, 07:22 AM

Thanks, also for the quick reply!
So the high 12 afr's are okay with the N54?

I'll try to get some better fuel. Can I run like E30/E40 without a backend flash?

Have a good one!
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-14-2017, 05:52 PM

I'd try E25ish without a flash, might still need at least the pump or race flash depending on trims.

AFR's look normal.

(#7)
Old

Default 06-14-2017, 07:54 PM

Thanks again!

Got some Shell 93 filled up and did the attached runs on Map 5. It was about 77F out.
Feels not bad

There's times where I see a lot of difference in between the IGN advance on the different cylinders?

*Edit*
One thing i've noticed, my TMAP Sensor reads 1.86V in my last logs, shouldn't it be more around 1.96v?
I really am impressed by the support and the community on here. Still reading through all the posts from you guys
Attached Files
File Type: csv 170614_2041 5.csv (34.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: csv 170614_2050.csv (54.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: csv 170614_2051.csv (17.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by aMpir3; 06-15-2017 at 06:32 AM..
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Some timing corrections indicating more octane could help. In addition, your FF is pretty high indicating a possible boost leak, unplugged exhaust flapper valve, or ???

(#9)
Old

Default 06-16-2017, 07:51 AM

I've unplugged the flapper valve, but sealed up the vacuum hose with a bolt and clamp.

I have to see if I have any other leaks. My wastegates are rattling like crazy, maybe thats why it's working so hard to make boost?
On Map 1 i'm also seeing the 30FF, which i guess could be both. WG's or a leak.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Correct...all leads to a possible boost leak or some sort of hardware issue.