N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Fk2 Civic Type R
Default New Fk2 Type R Install - 12-11-2020, 11:19 AM

Jb4 sitting in customs in UK, waiting to go into an Fk2 Type R. Can't wait although I've got a bit of work ahead of me to get it fitted seeing as the k20c1 engine in the fk2 sits alot further back and requires all the windscreen cowl etc pulling out to reach the inlet manifold.

Hopefully a job for xmas holiday period if the weather is dry and not too cold!

Honda Fk2 Civic Type R | JB4 | Injen Air Intake | Scorpion Exhaust | Shadow Chrome Rota PWR's | Insta: @andrewjonknight

Last edited by Andy-J-Knight; 01-05-2021 at 01:44 PM..
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-11-2020, 11:34 AM

It's a pretty easy install!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 12-11-2020, 12:34 PM

Got to get way back under there lol

Honda Fk2 Civic Type R | JB4 | Injen Air Intake | Scorpion Exhaust | Shadow Chrome Rota PWR's | Insta: @andrewjonknight
(#4)
Old

Default 12-16-2020, 07:07 AM

I started on the first part of the install today between heavy rain showers and no cover to work under :-(
Canbus cable run from passenger side foot well (UK so everything is flipped around) but rather than just throw it through the door jam (and I did try to find a firewall gromit to put it through but I would have needed to pull out all the heater fans & cabin filter etc behind the glovebox) I worked it through the door wiring conduit and made it exit out of the conduit via a small slit. The rest of the cable then runs through the arch and into the bay.

I then found out the cable is too short to make it over to the drivers side so now got to wait on an extension cable from Amazon :-(. The next stage will be to pull all the windscreen cowel off so i can get to the back of the engine for the tmap sensor but that's a job for a much drier day!

Last edited by Andy-J-Knight; 12-16-2020 at 07:12 AM..
(#5)
Old

Default 12-17-2020, 02:54 PM

Whilst I wait for better weather I decided to do away with the positap power for the JB4 Connect and pin the power back into the db9 connector (my local supplier had shipped me the non-integrated power version which is a bit messy for me). I like things nice and tidy!

Last edited by Andy-J-Knight; 12-17-2020 at 03:05 PM..
(#6)
Old

Default 12-28-2020, 08:56 AM

Install completed on a very very cold day. Took me alot longer than an fk8 type r as the scuttle panel heat shield under the windscreen had to be removed, plus I had to knock up a bracket to sit the jb4 on as the engine bay layout is not the same as fk8.

Jb4 connect all working well using repinned power wire into db9 socket. Also had to run my extension cable for canbus. All gauges are showing fine in the app.
Attached Images

Last edited by Andy-J-Knight; 12-29-2020 at 05:50 AM..
(#7)
Old

Default 12-28-2020, 08:58 AM

Now the weird bit. I've done a few pulls in map 1 and I can't say I noticed much difference with my butt dyno. I have some logs which I'll upload in a few hours when I can get access to a pc but from a map1 and map 2 pull, looking at the csvs on my phone both are just under 21 psi.
I need to get a map 0 log run to see what the boost value is for that but it's dinner time now.

Last edited by Andy-J-Knight; 12-28-2020 at 10:00 AM..
(#8)
Old

Default 01-04-2021, 02:46 PM

Just to follow this up to make sure people don't think the jb4 has issues, I've done multiple pulls in different maps and now things are coming together nicely. Running on mostly map 1 with a few map2 pulls here and there however I need to do a bit more hpfp monitoring for map 2 through the gears as a 3rd to 4th pull showed a slight pressure wobble midway through 4th. More to follow.

(#9)
Old

Default 01-04-2021, 02:49 PM

Managed to do a bit of bracket fabrication to hold the jb4 over the engine bay fuse box. You fk8 owners won't have this issue but for fk2 there is no simple place you can just stuff the jb4.

As we're now in lock down again in the uk the final finish will have to be black plastidip as that's all I have on my shelves.
Attached Images

(#10)
Old

Default 01-05-2021, 01:51 PM

Final plastidip coat drying. Should be ready for fitting tomorrow.
Attached Images

(#11)
Old

Default 01-06-2021, 06:24 AM

Final install done. Not too happy with plastidip finish as it started peeling as I torqued the bolts and it's slightly too large so a v3 bracket may be on the cards lol
Attached Images

(#12)
Old

Car: Civic Type R
Default 01-08-2021, 05:26 PM

Hi, Im writing from Mexico, Im impressed by you enthusiasm in the test and installation.

Could you share a little more of your experience with the JB4 please? Im trying to define if it is worth it or not?
I have read a lot in civixc forums and there are a very mixed opinions there, some good and some bad.
A lot of people have sold the JB4 and that make me doubt, but in the end Im still interested.

Thank you.
(#13)
Old

Car: G20 330i, F25 X3, B9 SQ5, C7.5 A7
Default 01-08-2021, 09:33 PM

Damn. I don't have a Honda but I appreciate what you've done! Excellent job. Definitely something I myself wouldn't be able to pull off, if I ever get a type R. BTW the type R is one of my favorite cars ever, right from childhood.

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
(#14)
Old

Default 01-09-2021, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMx
Hi, Im writing from Mexico, Im impressed by you enthusiasm in the test and installation.

Could you share a little more of your experience with the JB4 please? Im trying to define if it is worth it or not?
I have read a lot in civixc forums and there are a very mixed opinions there, some good and some bad.
A lot of people have sold the JB4 and that make me doubt, but in the end Im still interested.

Thank you.
Whether it is worth it is a question which is very subjective. From a simplicity perspective and for the performance and capabilities you get then yes it is. The platform is very powerful HOWEVER for the type r implementation specifically the car itself is so limited with the capabilities of the high pressure fuel pump that to really push beyond map 2 to get to where the likes of the BMW implementations are right now you need a replacement hpfp of which there is only two extremely costly options available (hondata or xdi) . This then requires a new back end flash as the new fuel system changes everything. So for map 1 and 2 use only its a great option, particularly for me as everything is locked down in the uk currently so no possibility of a ecu remap.

I do believe that the type r jb4 development could be pushed a bit further to expose more logging parameters which seem to be available on all the other jb4 flavours (I. E. Oil and water temp for a start) but there's really nothing I can do about that apart from keep asking Terry for it. Unfortunately I am only one voice though and if it is just me that is asking then I fear the platform will just stay as it is and stagnate :-(. This is no bad reflection on burger as they only have finite development resource.

Last edited by Andy-J-Knight; 01-09-2021 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling
(#15)
Old

Default 01-09-2021, 04:16 AM

A quick run through 3rd gear and into 4th. There's the start of a potential hpfp drop but as I backed out there's not enough data to see how bad it gets. This was from map 2. The lowest pressure was 13 which is around 1900psi. Normally a single gear pull sits between 16 and 17 which is 2300 to 2450psi.
Next step is to repeat and go right to the top of 4th and then check the fuel pressure.
Attached Images

(#16)
Old

Default 01-09-2021, 10:33 AM

Thank you for your answer; you know? Previously I Had a custom tune in my FK8, but I decided to removed it because with that tune the car was unable to pass the bianual emission test, so, I have the option of try something more or left the car as it is right now.
I live in Mexico City at 2350 meters above sea level and the car by itself is some kind of slow, I was happy with the custom tune but I dont want to want to be removing a reinstalling the car computer every 6 months, for that reason JB4 seems to be a good option, but as you said , I feel that burger Motorsport have left the development a little forgeted, and I dont know if Im going to feel the difference in power here.

Thank you for your efforts to improve the tune.
Regards.
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-09-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I feel that burger Motorsport have left the development a little forgeted, and I dont know if Im going to feel the difference in power here.
Development time allocated in proportion to customer demand. The basic TypeR is up and running and highly functional, more so than any other tuning box out for the platform. And it's easy to customize your own map using the interface should our suggested map1 not work for you.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#18)
Old

Default 01-09-2021, 03:22 PM

Hi Terry
Thank you for your answer, in fact, two months ago I contacted Burger Motorsport.
I only have a doubt about it, maybe because my english language.
In the last sentence, you are telling that the stage 1 is not for me?, I did not understand if it was a a question or an affirmation, maybe is because the altitude?
and, yes, I passed some time in the internet trying to find people with valid opinions about the JB4, and sadly there are only a few.

Maybe Andy is one of the few that have aported more to understand.

Last edited by FreeMx; 01-09-2021 at 05:21 PM..
(#19)
Old

Default 01-10-2021, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Hi Terry
Thank you for your answer, in fact, two months ago I contacted Burger Motorsport.
I only have a doubt about it, maybe because my english language.
In the last sentence, you are telling that the stage 1 is not for me?, I did not understand if it was a a question or an affirmation, maybe is because the altitude?
and, yes, I passed some time in the internet trying to find people with valid opinions about the JB4, and sadly there are only a few.

Maybe Andy is one of the few that have aported more to understand.
I believe what Terry is saying is if you try map 1 and don't like it or it has any issues due to altitude then you can create your own map via map 6 adjustment table in the JB4 mobile app or windows app if not using BT connect. .

Last edited by Andy-J-Knight; 01-10-2021 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Is
(#20)
Old

Default 01-10-2021, 08:50 AM

Oh!!, Thank you Andy.

Very interesting the data table that you published in the other topic.

Last edited by FreeMx; 01-10-2021 at 09:02 AM..
(#21)
Old

Car: 2017 Ford F-150
Default 02-23-2021, 06:09 PM

Nice work though. Great setup.