N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default What size FMIC? FBO, tune, Colder climate, lots of traffic - 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM

I'm curious as to what size intercooler I should go for on my 135i. I live in Chicago, so I'm in a relatively colder climate, also there is a lot of traffic here all the time, so I'm guessing heatsoak might be something to be concerned about. The car will have Full bolt ons and a jb4 tune with stock turbos, running Map 5.

Should I go for the 5" or the 7"?

Last edited by romnation; 03-01-2018 at 10:20 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: E90 N54 Xi
Default 03-01-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation
I'm curious as to what size intercooler I should go for on my 135i. I live in Chicago, so I'm in a relatively colder climate, also there is a lot of traffic here all the time, so I'm guessing heatsoak might be something to be concerned about. The car will have Full bolt ons and a jb4 tune with stock turbos, running Map 5.

What are you going to do with the car? Autocross, track-days, drag strip, highway only?

E90 N54 XI-AT VRSF down-*****, Chargepipe -Tial BOV, 7" FMIC, Borla Catback, 255 Inline pump, JB4 w/backend flash
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335i e92
Default 03-01-2018, 11:53 AM

As i understand it the only "drawback" to going with a 7" is the need to trim some shrouding - i think even the price is about the same. If you are getting soaked from sitting traffic there isn't much you can do outside of maxcool the fan - without airflow all FMIC's will have issues - but you are not moving so guess it doesn't really matter anyways .

The 7" is at a thermal mass disadvantage (more hot metal) than the 5" so if you truly just sit in traffic a smaller one would probably "outperform" the 7". The flip though is as soon as you get moving at any kind of speed the 7" will shed the heat and outperform a 5" all day and night.

unless you reeeeeaaaally dont want to do the minor trimming (it took me 5/10 minutes once the shroud was off) then suggest you go with a 7"

Track prepared 08 e92 335i: VTT Stage 2+, VTT Inlets / Outlet, cp-e CP, VRSF 7" HD, Forge DV's, D-P's, OCC, DCI, Race BEF, Fuel-it LPFP, JB4, gutted interior with seats / harness' / roll bar, sunroof delete, 3.46 LSD, Spec 3+ w/SMFW, M3 suspension, TC Kline DA Coilovers, 245 square Hoosier's
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2018, 12:19 PM

For stock turbos the Phoenix replacement IC is a fine budget option. If the plan is to upgrade turbos down the road, I'd probably jump up to the RACE.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_135_...tercooler.html

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 03-01-2018, 12:24 PM

I found a 5" stepped to be a good compromise of price, performance, and fitment. If you have a 135, a non-stepped might look weird (gap at the top).
(#6)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 03-01-2018, 02:58 PM

Just as important as volume and surface area of the IC, is the fin density. Even with FBO and GC lite turbos at 25psi, the regular (non-HD) 7" VRSF IC will allow IAT to rise by 40*+ on a 3rd gear only pull.
The HD 7" has more fin density, and should do a better job.

Also As Terry mentioned, the phoenix race IC did well on Payam's car with 700 whp, no IAT rise at all, he posted logs at one point recently of it.

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#7)
Old

Default 03-01-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006
What are you going to do with the car? Autocross, track-days, drag strip, highway only?
Mostly highway with occasional spirited / aggressive driving and night time fun runs. Very occasional HPDE events like auto-x and track days (Like 1 or 2 times per year), mostly just group fun runs through the twistys.
(#8)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 03-01-2018, 04:47 PM

Can't go wrong with Phoenix intercooler

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 03-01-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation

Check these intercoolers out. I may be ordering a 900ic for my 535i tomorrow.

This is their 135i 750ic
https://fasterbypinnacle.com/product...335i-and-135i/
(#10)
Old

Default 03-02-2018, 10:11 AM

I've also heard the 7" doesn't look as good installed as the 5". is this true?
(#11)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 03-02-2018, 01:40 PM

https://www.bimmerboost.com/showthre...-quot-gap-quot

This is what you want to avoid, and why I got a stepped.

Maybe some of the newer ones fit better though.