N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M235XI
Question Conundrum..JB4/Boost Control/BM3 - 12-29-2017, 04:36 PM

Readdressing this,

Ok, long story short. Is it possible to use the JB4 to convert N20 and control boost while not having to have JB4 plugged into OBD port?

Why am I asking? I want to free up the OBD port that the JB4 needs to log so I can use BM3 for logging and it streamlines remote tuning etc.. As far as I know it is not possible to run BM3 for logging which uses the OBD port and use the JB4 at the same time...?

So, I decided to use Split second controller for the PI and go full flash.. Well even know I have this AIC6 controller and full flash capabilities, I understand that I still need a way to convert N20 and control the higher boost hence the need for JB4 still and thus still not freeing up my OBD port.

Last edited by serenvox; 12-29-2017 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Reworded question
(#2)
Old

Car: M135i xDrive
Default 12-30-2017, 02:31 AM

I remember reading that JB4 only works on map 1 without obd cable.

M135i xDrive EWG, JB4, Pure S2, Pure inlet, N20 tmap, c a tless, Wagner fmic, FTP chargepipe, Fuel-it PI, BMS PI controller, Fuel-it lpfp, ACF Performance back end flash. 10.9s @ 204km/h
(#3)
Old
M-Terkait

Car: F30 335i
Default 12-30-2017, 07:48 AM

You can Actually tune on N20 sensor without JB4 using flash only!
ask your tuner.

N55 - Doc race 6266.
(#4)
Old

Default 12-30-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnm135i
This is not true. It will still convert the N20 TMAP signal in map0. But whether it will work for BM3 logging in map0.....not sure. I'll test tomorrow
Thanks! I'm guessing your able to try since your hard wired in and can use OBD port for bm3 cable?? My car is in the shop getting the PI and ps2, tmap all done. So I havnt begun to try, but in the mean time I'm discussing this with tuners and again as far as I know we can't use say for example the obd2 cable to use jb4 and bm3 cable plugged into same port..
(#5)
Old

Default 12-30-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait
You can Actually tune on N20 sensor without JB4 using flash only!
ask your tuner.
Well I'm in the process of trying to find out if this is something the tuners I'm looking at can do. Only touching on this now, as car is in shop getting the upgrades. So far I get the notion it's feasible but it's uncertain it will work or work best.. Obviously what we know is it's easy route to use the JB4 and this is what most have experince with. But if i can find a tuner that had the majic, I def want full flash control. I dont mind using jb4 to convert tmap and control higher boost if thats the best way, but I mainly want that and the ability to use my obd port at same time with bm3.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-30-2017, 10:06 AM

Just put the JB4 on map0 and plug the OBDII port to disable the JB4 and do OBDII logging.

You can always provide your tuner JB4 logs. If they can't tune off those they are probably not a very good tuner. Or better yet just shelf BM3 and wait for MHD to come out, and then at some point we'll be able to provide you a free MHD back end flash map optimized to work with the JB4 and its integrated port injection control.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 12-30-2017, 10:52 AM

Terry,

Thank you for the response.

It seems from what you stated, it is not possible to have JB4 active for N20 conversion and boost control and use OBDII port with BM3 for logging simultaneously. If this is the case that's unfortunate for me as Id like to use the full features of BM3 and JB4 together.

Shelf BM3? My intentions are to avoid BEF and use full flash with stock DME along with JB4 for N20 conversion and boost control.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-30-2017, 11:09 AM

If the JB4 is doing boost control it requires engine data via CANbus, otherwise how could it safely control boost? Or safely run port injection mapping?

It has to be able to monitor AFR, fuel trims, fuel pressure, knock, throttle, gear, etc. That all comes from CANbus. Read the SS vs BMS PI controller FAQ on the differences as to why it needs the extra data: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28478

Regarding logging if your tuner can't tune off JB4 logs then find another tuner. Once we have a workable F series BEF platform out that doesn't require constant internet connections and servers to load maps, allows us to post an unlocked map that anyone can then load to their vehicle, modify to their taste as needed using tuner pro, etc, then we're really going to be able to punch the platform further.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If the JB4 is doing boost control it requires engine data via CANbus, otherwise how could it safely control boost? Or safely run port injection mapping?

It has to be able to monitor AFR, fuel trims, fuel pressure, knock, throttle, gear, etc. That all comes from CANbus. Read the SS vs BMS PI controller FAQ on the differences as to why it needs the extra data: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28478

Regarding logging if your tuner can't tune off JB4 logs then find another tuner. Once we have a workable F series BEF platform out that doesn't require constant internet connections and servers to load maps, allows us to post an unlocked map that anyone can then load to their vehicle, modify to their taste as needed using tuner pro, etc, then we're really going to be able to punch the platform further.
Terry,

Much appreciated for providing the heads up, I am aware of the BMS PI integrated controller and it being most popular option and for many of those reasons stated. In fact all tuners I'm considering are all very capable of using JB4 and tuning with it. I happen to purchase BM3 well before I thought about going PI and bigger turbo.

I'm just seeking out more information on a different approach to dialing in my car. As the user, I'm trying to take advantage of the money I've spent between both products I've invested in. I'm eager to see what MHD will do for the platform but for the time being I'm weighing all options for the products I have purchased.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-30-2017, 12:20 PM

My advice given your parts would be, assuming EWG car:

Set JB4 to map 0 (it will still do 3.5bar TMAP conversion for you), unplug JB4 OBDII, and tune the car flash only as best as you can WITHOUT PI and higher boost levels.

Once complete then plug in JB4 OBDII, set to map4, post a JB4 log, and I can help you dial in PI and higher boost mapping.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Default 12-30-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
My advice given your parts would be, assuming EWG car:

Set JB4 to map 0 (it will still do 3.5bar TMAP conversion for you), unplug JB4 OBDII, and tune the car flash only as best as you can WITHOUT PI and higher boost levels.

Once complete then plug in JB4 OBDII, set to map4, post a JB4 log, and I can help you dial in PI and higher boost mapping.
Will do, thanks Terry!
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-31-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnm135i
I just tested this: Logging with BM3 and JB4 in map0. Works just fine. If running ISO though you will have no boost.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5a487674d10b435f133e7209
F Series PWG has a lot of special rules that apply to it. Fortunately most F series vehicles are EWG.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-31-2017, 05:26 PM

We're doing the F series S55 BEF maps first, they are EWG models. Then we'll do F series N55 EWG. Then circle back to F series PWG. It's *very* different but we've done a lot of PWG work before, so I'm sure we can get the JB4+BEF for N55 PWG working better than flash only. Just give us a little time to get there since the tools are just coming out for wide release.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Car: Bmw 535i - 2011
Default 01-01-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
We're doing the F series S55 BEF maps first, they are EWG models. Then we'll do F series N55 EWG. Then circle back to F series PWG. It's *very* different but we've done a lot of PWG work before, so I'm sure we can get the JB4+BEF for N55 PWG working better than flash only. Just give us a little time to get there since the tools are just coming out for wide release.

2011 F10 535i N55 PWG 8AT | "Pureboost.de Tune" + MHD Flasher | xHP Stage 3 transmission Tune | N20 3.5bar TMAP Sensor | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | GFB DV+ | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | 93 Octane Fuel | BMS Intake | ER 4" CLess D/Pipe | ER 3" Charge-Pipe | Wagner-Tuning Competition Intercooler | Custom Turbo Inlet Pipe | https://i.imgur.com/iR4wm3I.jpg |