N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1426)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 09-12-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The latest firmware is in the first post, and we have another test version we're kicking around we plan to post soon. If just using maps 1-3 no need to update it at the moment.
I think HIRRS-ZN is referring to the inability to tell which firmware you are on once it's loaded. The firmware in the csv file is more like a date code.

In that case...
58/9//5 = BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_9_T4.hex

It was confusing to me in the beginning as well. lol.
(#1427)
Old

Car: F30 320i
Default 09-12-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
I think HIRRS-ZN is referring to the inability to tell which firmware you are on once it's loaded. The firmware in the csv file is more like a date code.

In that case...
58/9//5 = BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_9_T4.hex

It was confusing to me in the beginning as well. lol.
Awesome thanks JBoe,

So seems my Jb4 has the latest Firmware

On another note, i just tested the car with the JB4 on Map1 and noticed very bad hesitation from 2nd gear wot. i was using Sport Plus Manual mode (Sport Auto Box) i switched to Map 0 and theirs no hesitation. Switched back to Map1 and switched to Sport Mode Manual which seemed smooth as well. i then switched back to Sport Plus Manual and the hesitation is now gone seems smooth. Could this be the car was still adapting to the JB4?

Terry, I have uploaded a few logs i tested with. please could check them and advise.

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-13 05_57_05-Map1.csv (22.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: csv 2018-09-13 06_00_04-Map0.csv (28.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: csv 2018-09-13 06_00_43-Map1.csv (12.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: csv 2018-09-13 06_12_57-Map1.csv (9.8 KB, 38 views)

BMW F30 320i N20 - JB4 -EWG
BMW F30 320i B48 - JB4 - EWG - FF
(#1428)
Old

Default 09-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Hi Terry... is it possible to add the stock/default WMI settings tab to the first posts? I did some digging and found them, but it would be great if they could be included.
(#1429)
Old

Car: 2015 435i m sport
Default Looking to purchase - 09-16-2018, 07:37 PM

So long and crazy story but I have 2018 440xi with MPPSK. I had dinan stage 1 in my car installed by dealership and apparently it blew my turbo. All was covered by warranty but they removed the dinan and refunded my money. I’m missing the power and was looking to purchase JB4 to supplement the loss. Having the M Performance Power and Sound (MPPSK) package is the jb4 the only needed product or should I use flex fuel ewg and so on?
(#1430)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 09-16-2018, 07:53 PM

Interesting info. Get all wires and log like crazy. The JB4 will not over work the turbo unless you're doing something seriously wrong. But I like to verify with logging.

Thank god for that warranty coverage, though!

2018 Audi RS3 | Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#1431)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-16-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
Hi Terry... is it possible to add the stock/default WMI settings tab to the first posts? I did some digging and found them, but it would be great if they could be included.
Good idea, will do shortly.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1432)
Old

Car: BMW F30 LCI 320i 2017
Default 09-17-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeIII
I had some difficulty getting consistent smooth pools with the Jb4 on a B48 320i (any map).

I found one of the causes and an easy workaround so I'm sharing my experience here.

In short:
Basically Engine DME boost map changes with driving mode (sport/comfort) and the same JB4 map won't work well in both driving modes. A work around is to deactivate in the Idrive menu from the car the changes de DME make to the engine in sport drive mode so the engine always runs like in comfort mode independently of other driving modes changes and a consistent jb4 map is easy to achieve.

The cause:

Engine boost by rpm changes with driving mode (sport/comfort/eco). In a wot pool in sport mode my 20i gets a flat 7.5 to 8 psi boost from low to max rpm. But doing the same in comfort mode I get a flat 4.5-5 psi boost with a 7.5-8 psi peak at 4500-5000 rpm. That is almost a 100% boost increase from 4000 to 4.5 psi)to 4500 (8 psi) rpm that the jb4 seems to have trouble compensating for (overshooting and over correcting= oscillations= not a nice ride).

So you can work on a fine tuned map 6 on sport mode, using duty bias to adjust de FF curve by rpm to mach PWM, using just the amount of PID gain to allow small corrections without oscillations, etc, and the car runs smooth and fast (huge HP difference from original 8 psi to flat 16 psi in the 20i). But the moment you switch to comfort mode or you restart the car and forget to switch back to sport and accelerate the engines DME gives a completely different boost / rpm curve and the jb4 goes crazy trying to adjust with the known unpleasant result.

Maybe this engine needs two maps, one for sports and one for comfort mode.

Work around:
1) Make a custom map 6 for comfort mode (or just keep with maps 1, 2 or 3.

2)In cars idrive menu go to Sport mode configuration and deactivate changes made to the engine but leave activated the other options (suspension, gears, driving wheel stiffness and gas pedal sensitivity)
Currently I found a limitation. Its “easy” to make a map 6 for sport mode (we start with a relative flat DME’s BOOST curve) but its difficult in comfort mode. Max Boost / RPM changes so abruptly between 4500 and 5000 rpm that current available duty bias range at the JB4 (I’ m using from 0 to 100 values) is not enough to cover the needed FF/rpm curve and using PID gain above a value of 10 trying to compensate might bring oscillations.

It would be great to have a custom map or even firmware for the B48 20i and if not possible at least to have a wider duty bias range (for de 20i 0 to 170-180 would be enough, maybe allow negative values).

Hope it helps, Jorge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
If you have logs to post showing this that would be best for us to evaluate.

Here you have a pair of stock logs on map4, one @Sport and one @Comfort, to evaluate boost difference, hope in helps to make a more "fluid" driving firmware. The car is a 2017 320i with a B48M engine.
Attached Files
File Type: csv sport map4.csv (17.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: csv comfort map4.csv (12.0 KB, 50 views)
(#1433)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 09-17-2018, 07:51 AM

Anyone know which tool and size removes the JB4 pins?

| 2018 BMW 340i | M-Sport | Track Handling Package |
| Pure Stage 1 | MPE + ER down-pipe | BMS Intake | JB4 + MHD | BMS Meth Kit |
(#1434)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340i Xdrive
Default 09-17-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRDiesel
D-sub pin removal tool. On amazon
(#1435)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Hard to remove without damaging them, better off cutting and splicing wires if you placed one in the wrong spot.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1436)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Hard to remove without damaging them, better off cutting and splicing wires if you placed one in the wrong spot.
I know I can vouch that. I purchased that D removing tool from Frys electronics yesterday and it didn’t work. I’m sorta like a ‘perfectionist’ so I wouldn’t be able to sleep well at night if I don’t get that pin out the wrong spot
I guess no EWG pigtail for now...

(#1437)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I know I can vouch that. I purchased that D removing tool from Frys electronics yesterday and it didn’t work. I’m sorta like a ‘perfectionist’ so I wouldn’t be able to sleep well at night if I don’t get that pin out the wrong spot
I guess no EWG pigtail for now...
Not all D-Sub tools are alike. Some are specific to various sizes and others are generic install/removal tools. You may be able to find better than what Fry's has available. Of course... you'll probably only use it once. LOL.
Attached Images

(#1438)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-18-2018, 05:13 AM

This is what we use:

https://www.frys.com/product/2699222

Burger Motorsports

(#1439)
Old

Default 09-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
I will try this one. The one i bought was the red and white colored which was too large so I'm assuming this one will fit better.

(#1440)
Old

Car: 2015 435i m sport
Default Map selection - 09-19-2018, 02:04 PM

Hey guys I have a 2018 440xi GC with MPPSK just received my JB4 today installed and set to Map 2. Was feeling a lot of hesitation. Is this because the car needs to adapt? Also for having just mppsk which is best map to use? Also using 93 octane

Last edited by Stinger667; 09-19-2018 at 02:15 PM..
(#1441)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-19-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger667
Hey guys I have a 2018 440xi GC with MPPSK just received my JB4 today installed and set to Map 2. Was feeling a lot of hesitation. Is this because the car needs to adapt? Also for having just mppsk which is best map to use? Also using 93 octane
Could be adaption or could be fuel related. Drop down to map1 and record a JB4 log if issue persists.

Burger Motorsports

(#1442)
Old

Default 09-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Good idea, will do shortly.
As if you didn't have enough... lol. I thought of another addition to the first page. In another post, on another platform, you posted the meth additive trends and boost levels. That would be another great addition.
(#1443)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2018, 10:52 AM

Finally have one of the B58 cars with the latest update that won't clear codes here for a few days. Hopefully, can make some progress on this annoying problem!

Burger Motorsports

(#1444)
Old

Default 09-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Finally have one of the B58 cars with the latest update that won't clear codes here for a few days. Hopefully, can make some progress on this annoying problem!
Great, hope you get it fixed!
(#1445)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Added 11_TEST1 to the first post which seemed to allow me to delete faults on our test car. Let me know if it does or doesn't work for anyone else.

Burger Motorsports

(#1446)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 09-20-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Added 11_TEST1 to the first post which seemed to allow me to delete faults on our test car. Let me know if it does or doesn't work for anyone else.
"Adjustment to absolute target mapping, lots more testing needed. Send in some logs if running absolute target maps like map7."
So you're also looking for input outside the fault-clearing issue, then? If so, I'll give it a whirl.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#1447)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2018, 02:12 PM

Yes, the absoute map stuff needs some logs. It's not quite finished yet but it's included in the latest build along with the code delete fix I'm working on. The changes there mirror what we've done with the S55 absolute target maps. Smoother operation, allowing targets less than the flash target, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#1448)
Old

Car: BMW M135I
Default 09-20-2018, 09:57 PM

How much of an issue is throttle closures with JB4 and B58 nowdays?
Im just replacing my N54 with a B58 and did some reasearch and found out that jerky operation due to throttle closures was a real issue when running JB4.
However the information i found were from the early days for the B58 and JB4.

I also read in the patch notes that JB4 can control timing, how is that possible on the B58 since from my understanding JB4 only controls boost and fuel pressure for the N54 and N55?
(#1449)
Old

Default 09-21-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Uploaded the new firmware and tried to clear the stored code; 118001 mixture to lea,n this morning, the clearing seems to work
(#1450)
Old

Car: BMW M140i
Default 09-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Hi terry I’m running v9 at the min on my m140i running map7 with meth, is it worst doing the update to v10 yet or wait a few weeks. Thanks