N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#101)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Include Terry's OCC too, or stick a link there to his webshop.
That way it shows the elements of a fully recommended kit.
Also helps shoppers realize what the full cost is, minus labor.

Just my 5 cents. It took some research when I had mine installed.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#102)
Old

Car: 535XI
Default 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Waiting patiently for my RB's! NOT, I think I am driving Rob insane inquiring about my set every week lol... Sorry Rob

@rob@rbturbo
(#103)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinchino
Waiting patiently for my RB's! NOT, I think I am driving Rob insane inquiring about my set every week lol... Sorry Rob

@rob@rbturbo
Don't forget to give some good thought to your fueling. Worth thinking through well in advance.

For what it's worth there seems to be two camps. One who do a lpfp upgrade and it just rocks. The other camp seem to struggle to meet demands.

Unknown why each car is so different.

What fuel/blend are you planning to run?

Cool stuff no longer installed.
(#104)
Old

Default 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM

@aoschadlin

Don't know what fuel! probably 93+ dime a dozen in NYC

Still debating on wether to Protune or BMS stack with my Cobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoschadlin
Don't forget to give some good thought to your fueling. Worth thinking through well in advance.

For what it's worth there seems to be two camps. One who do a lpfp upgrade and it just rocks. The other camp seem to struggle to meet demands.

Unknown why each car is so different.

What fuel/blend are you planning to run?
(#105)
Old

Default 07-24-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
@aoschadlin

Don't know what fuel! probably 93+ dime a dozen in NYC

Still debating on wether to Protune or BMS stack with my Cobb
You might be able to get away with 93 only, if you add Meth. Otherwise you're unlikely to hit the higher boost levels with the RBs.

(#106)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM

any of you guys keeping your stock turbos and want to sell? Or did you core them?

2008 535i AT

(Pure Stage 2 + Dr. Euro D/P + VRSF Inlets/Outlets + ER FMIC + ER Charge Pipe + Tial BOV + BMS Filters + Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP + Full catback + MHD Flash + KW V1) - (Cobb V2 + V3 sitting in a box) = Broke
(#107)
Old

Default 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNeef
any of you guys keeping your stock turbos and want to sell? Or did you core them?
Figured with the way I drive my cars the RBs won't be worth a lot in a couple of years so figured I may as well just leave them in the car. So I cored them out.

(#108)
Old

Default 07-24-2013, 02:32 PM

sorry! Cored out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNeef
(#109)
Old
Legend

Default 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoschadlin
You might be able to get away with 93 only, if you add Meth. Otherwise you're unlikely to hit the higher boost levels with the RBs.
+1. You really need high octane to support 18-20 psi of boost and aggressive timing. That's when RBs step up and make things happen that you don't see with stock snails.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#110)
Old

Default 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM

@ocean

What do you recommend if I don't go Meth route, E85 + 93 mixture ratios?
I'm a noob to meth and mixtures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
+1. You really need high octane to support 18-20 psi of boost and aggressive timing. That's when RBs step up and make things happen that you don't see with stock snails.
(#111)
Old

Default 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
@ocean

What do you recommend if I don't go Meth route, E85 + 93 mixture ratios?
I'm a noob to meth and mixtures!
Looking at your sig, it appears your'e not running the JB4 with Flash, but rather Cobb alone.

If that's the case your tune is sort of hard coded to fuel mixtures. It doesn't have the autotune capability of the JB4, so you need to be sensitive to what fuel you're adding when running each map.

You'll want to have a straight 93 octane map and maybe an e30 map. That will likely give you a good performance boost without having to go too wild on hardware mods.

Should be able to get both of those maps for free from here http://www.cobbtuning.com/

To mix up an e30 blend, work out the ratio using this site http://e85prices.com/milesperdollar.htm

Hope that helps

(#112)
Old
Legend

Default 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM

+2. Cobb uses fixed maps, so you need to match it up to whatever mods and fuel mixture you are running. Then keep it that way or swap out the map each time something changes.

If you had JB4 and were flashing via Cobb, then you can mix in 40-45% E85 on Map 5. Going higher than that would require an upgrade to the LPFP.
One of the benefits of JB4 is that it is already capable of managing meth. You hook up a $150 FSB box to the JB4 harness, then the pump, solenoid, nozzle and plumbing/wiring. You can then hijack the MPG gauge to show meth flow.
Meth adds more power whether you mix E85 or not. But if you are mixing 60-70% it's mostly cooling the IATs. Short answer is that you always gain something with meth.

Sleeper 5 series
(#113)
Old
Oh yes I did.

Default 07-29-2013, 12:17 AM

Hey Peder,

Long time since my last post on n54tech. I'm back in FL for good... no more CT for me.

Just writing because I'm wondering about your dyno numbers. Any plans to dyno the beast? I am planning on either fully modifying my 535 or selling it, and your numbers would help me decide.

Thanks!
(#114)
Old
Legend

Default 07-29-2013, 04:09 AM

I am guessing high 400s and 500 WTQ based on what others are seeing with this set-up. Trust me, it's plenty for normal driving.

Sleeper 5 series
(#115)
Old

Default 07-29-2013, 05:19 AM

Peder,
I'm thinking a bit more. 335's get better numbers (exhaust system) maybe 10% and I see that guys with only DCI's, jb4 and **'s on their 3's getting over 400 whp and 420 ft. Lbs. so depending on the dyno being used and using +/- 7% with all your mods, you could be at 520 whp and 560 lb ft. I really think that with all your mods you really should get it dynoed, a lot of us want to know?????
(#116)
Old
Legend

Default 07-29-2013, 06:14 AM

Brian,

Terry's car dynos 500/500 or thereabout. I think 1 and 3 series are slightly more powerful for some reason (same engine, what gives?)
I don't really care about dyno numbers for my car unless I went in to do a custom tuning map. It's time and money spent on something I really could care less about. Similar to weighing a race horse. You care about how well it runs, how fast it is. How many pounds it weighs? Bwaahh. Just numbers.
Converting RW dyno values to engine output at the crank, we usually add 18% to adjust for automatic transmission drive train loss.
It's a stretch to get 400 WHP with just JB4. Maybe with race gas and an aggressive map. I would always advocate *** and FMIC to help alleviate heat and stress. Meth cools too.

Sleeper 5 series