N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default DEFIV Differential Lock-Down DIY - 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Note: Not responsible for any damage to you or your car,

this worked on my car so will work on yours. Thi kit as been tested over and over countless hours by

Rick@DEFIV. If it doesnt fit you did something wrong.

***This tutorial assumes you know how to get your car secured on jack

stands, if in doubt do NOT attempt this DIY!

Suggestions:

Do NOT use a torch to remove bushings, it is not needed and can deform subframe amd make install of bushing

appear off...they are with in .001" tolerance. They fit PERFECTLY.

Notes:

*I assume you know how to take exhaust, panels ect off.
**The design off this product is the copyrighted by Rick@DEFIV.
***You can use a hole saw to pull out bushings instead of pipe if needed.

Here is the work of art, this kit really impressed me with how close everything fit....I can't imagine the testing

involved to get this to spec. Rick Has some of the best customer service in this bussiness period!



[/B]Removal of differential (I had mine out for wavetrac so I took as many pics as I could):[/B]










Removal of "Front" (smaller)bushings:








Removal of "Rear" (larger) bushing











Installing bushings


















Installing Diffetrential/half shafts and driveshaft back in car, some steps are left out since it is basically

reverse order:
















Note on driveshaft installation: Tighten in order below!
A. Insert nut
B. Guibo
C. Center support bearing








4th link bushing installation:











I hope this is of help to you guys!


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
335iTT's Avatar
335iTT 335iTT is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 20
Join Date: Dec 2012
Car: '07 335i
Default 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM

I don't know that I'll be doing this anytime in the near future... But very nice pictorial how to! Thanks for the extra effort on this!
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
Vroom's Avatar
Vroom Vroom is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 445
Join Date: Oct 2009
Car: 335i 318ti
Default 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM

Another nice job.

Can't wait for a performance review.
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom
Another nice job.

Can't wait for a performance review.
have to figure out whats up with the oilcooler first.


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
08n54 08n54 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 79
Join Date: Sep 2012
Car: 2008 535xi
Default 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM

This mainly for rwd cars?
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
v8bait's Avatar
v8bait v8bait is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 413
Join Date: Oct 2011
Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 02-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Mainly I would say yes, but I think anyone with the larger differential should be able to use this kit IIRC. Not sure which the XI has, or if anything else is different though. Does a XI have bad enough rear wheel hop to need this?

Great post, just saw it on the other side.
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
Vroom's Avatar
Vroom Vroom is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 445
Join Date: Oct 2009
Car: 335i 318ti
Default 02-21-2013, 07:04 AM

Any B4 & after data available on 60' or 0-60 times?
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-21-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom
Any B4 & after data available on 60' or 0-60 times?
Damit no....but I can tell you this....this car launches like a N54 monster now.....unbelievable!!!


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
steve.kodra steve.kodra is offline
IXLR8
 
Posts: 328
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: 335xi
Default 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bait
Mainly I would say yes, but I think anyone with the larger differential should be able to use this kit IIRC. Not sure which the XI has, or if anything else is different though. Does a XI have bad enough rear wheel hop to need this?

Great post, just saw it on the other side.
It depends on what surface I am on. Asphalt = NO, Concrete = Maybe. However, I tend to think any wheel hop that I get is coming from the front.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.kodra
It depends on what surface I am on. Asphalt = NO, Concrete = Maybe. However, I tend to think any wheel hop that I get is coming from the front.
Steve, I would think the wheel hop would be rear since it is lighter and easier to bounce around?


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
steve.kodra steve.kodra is offline
IXLR8
 
Posts: 328
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: 335xi
Default 02-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Perhaps, but the steering gets a little flakey when this happens. Most of the time when driving, the clutch is partially locked and power is transferred to both axles in proportion 40/60 front to rear. The power distribution can be altered to continuously variable levels (from 50/50 to 0/100). For example, when driving at high speed, or when parking, the clutch is disengaged and all power goes to the rear wheels. I am not sure how it does its logic with much added power and wheel spin.
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.kodra
Perhaps, but the steering gets a little flakey when this happens. Most of the time when driving, the clutch is partially locked and power is transferred to both axles in proportion 40/60 front to rear. The power distribution can be altered to continuously variable levels (from 50/50 to 0/100). For example, when driving at high speed, or when parking, the clutch is disengaged and all power goes to the rear wheels. I am not sure how it does its logic with much added power and wheel spin.
I would get the lockdown kit man, you have a ton of power also. I believe he is working on the Xi version.


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
v8bait's Avatar
v8bait v8bait is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 413
Join Date: Oct 2011
Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
Damit no....but I can tell you this....this car launches like a N54 monster now.....unbelievable!!!
How would you compare it to the LSD difference? Better launches with the lockdown and better corner exits with the LSD? Or do both help equally?
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bait
How would you compare it to the LSD difference? Better launches with the lockdown and better corner exits with the LSD? Or do both help equally?
I installed mine at he same time lol!


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
Vroom's Avatar
Vroom Vroom is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 445
Join Date: Oct 2009
Car: 335i 318ti
Default 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM

Just wondering if this really eliminates wheel hop will OEM half shafts hold up at the strip?
Reply With Quote
(#16)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom
Just wondering if this really eliminates wheel hop will OEM half shafts hold up at the strip?
My wheel hop is 100%% gone


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#17)
Old
steve.kodra steve.kodra is offline
IXLR8
 
Posts: 328
Join Date: Aug 2011
Car: 335xi
Default 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
I would get the lockdown kit man, you have a ton of power also. I believe he is working on the Xi version.
From Rick: "yes, I have an alternate bracket for xi AT "small" diff cars,although it's currently backordered until 2/25. price is $700+shipping".

A bit pricey. I could have made these for a fraction of the price in my CNC machining days.
Reply With Quote
(#18)
Old
elsabor67's Avatar
elsabor67 elsabor67 is offline
Enjoys Retirement
 
Posts: 85
Join Date: May 2010
Car: 09 135i with M-sport Pkg
Default 07-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Awesome kit. How long did it take to install and what's the price?

Ooops, my bad. Just saw the price part up top.


Autobahn.......its what's for dinner!!!

Last edited by elsabor67; 07-07-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote
(#19)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsabor67
Awesome kit. How long did it take to install and what's the price?

Ooops, my bad. Just saw the price part up top.
it takes about 3-4 hours to install....well worth it.


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#20)
Old
2008e90 2008e90 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 108
Join Date: May 2011
Car: 08 e90 sedan
Default 10-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Hey Rob, question; Now with wavetrac installed, do you need to push the DTC once, long push, just leave it alone?
Reply With Quote
(#21)
Old
robc1976's Avatar
robc1976 robc1976 is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,557
Join Date: Mar 2012
Car: 2007 335i
Default 10-17-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e90
Hey Rob, question; Now with wavetrac installed, do you need to push the DTC once, long push, just leave it alone?
Same as usual


JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Reply With Quote
(#22)
Old
gogunbaba gogunbaba is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 53
Join Date: Oct 2013
Car: 08 E90 335i
Default 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM

Hi Rob,

How is the sound in the cabin with the lsd and solid mount bushings? When you let the gas off on highway going around 70 80 mph?
Reply With Quote
(#23)
Old
2008e90 2008e90 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 108
Join Date: May 2011
Car: 08 e90 sedan
Default 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM

I have the same question Rob. I just had a company install the wavetrac in my car. They are recommended from wavetrac's website. Anyway, when I start the car, I hear a click, when I go uphill, I hear like a chain rattling sound but its def. coming in from the bottom middle of the car. Also, when at Idle/ waiting at a red light, I can hear AND feel something spinning, even if I put it in neutral, I have a AT by the way. But when I drive it on the highway and punch it...man it goes!
Now, I also installed all four powerflex subframe bushings and now I get all kinds of noise from the frame on uneven streets and whenever I hit a bump. I also had these installed professionally. I had everything done "professional" so that I wouldn't have these issues.
The sound from the wavtrac is def. there, no doubt about it. When I let off the gas and just cruise, I hear a very faint whistling noise when I hit the gas again, another click but it hauls a$$.

Rob, do you experience these things I am? And if so, or if not; what can you recommend sir? You are the DIY king after all!!

I also had the DEFIV kit installed and I must say..NO WHEEL HOP at all!! It's great and it was an expensive upgrade doing all three LSD/2 sets of bushings. I can live with the sound of the wavtrac IF in fact it is normal sounds but the noise from the powerflex bushings is just awful and my car sounds like it's 10 years older than it is. MAybe the installation place forgot to put a lot of grease on the bushings??

Last edited by 2008e90; 10-24-2013 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote
(#24)
Old
Nugs Nugs is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 393
Join Date: Apr 2013
Car: 2011 135i
Default 10-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogunbaba
Hi Rob,

How is the sound in the cabin with the lsd and solid mount bushings? When you let the gas off on highway going around 70 80 mph?
I have a Wavetrac, DEFIV kit and M3 subframe bushing in a 135i. I experienced very little increase in NVH. There is a little bit more diff whine but I kinda like it, because racecar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e90
I have the same question Rob. I just had a company install the wavetrac in my car. They are recommended from wavetrac's website. Anyway, when I start the car, I hear a click, when I go uphill, I hear like a chain rattling sound but its def. coming in from the bottom middle of the car. Also, when at Idle/ waiting at a red light, I can hear AND feel something spinning, even if I put it in neutral, I have a AT by the way. But when I drive it on the highway and punch it...man it goes!
Now, I also installed all four powerflex subframe bushings and now I get all kinds of noise from the frame on uneven streets and whenever I hit a bump. I also had these installed professionally. I had everything done "professional" so that I wouldn't have these issues.
The sound from the wavtrac is def. there, no doubt about it. When I let off the gas and just cruise, I hear a very faint whistling noise when I hit the gas again, another click but it hauls a$$.

Rob, do you experience these things I am? And if so, or if not; what can you recommend sir? You are the DIY king after all!!

I also had the DEFIV kit installed and I must say..NO WHEEL HOP at all!! It's great and it was an expensive upgrade doing all three LSD/2 sets of bushings. I can live with the sound of the wavtrac IF in fact it is normal sounds but the noise from the powerflex bushings is just awful and my car sounds like it's 10 years older than it is. MAybe the installation place forgot to put a lot of grease on the bushings??
Yeah something is definitely not right. I would get it looked at.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2019, N54tech.com