N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 BMS backend flash - 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM

***This info is OBSOLETE now! See this thread re: the new FREE back end flash: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563

Hey guys,

Just as an update we have developed a backend flash map for use with the JB4 for those of you running larger turbos or nitrous. The setup has been well proven across many RB turbo installs now and allows proper fueling in the 500whp+ range these turbos put out. In addition there are quite a few other advantages specifically VANOS remapping, ignition advance remapping, etc, that make the BMS flash a must have for anyone wanting to push big power levels.

A few comments on the changes:

1) We've shifted the fuel control, including open loop adjustment, over to the flash side. This means improved AFR targeting at high boost levels and a higher fuel trim ceiling without the need for open loop adjustment. This change sets the JB4 up to accommodate power levels up to the 600rw level and beyond.

2) We've remapped advance out on the flash side producing an overall cleaner and more predicable result than CPS offsetting can. This also allows increased timing advance during those conditions where it makes sense.

3) Many other changes have been made including VANOS changes, fuel scaling, spool up logic changes, flatline fix, etc. And as we make addl flash map changes you can download those changes or remove the flash completely without leaving your driveway.

4) These changes will allow the JB4 to focus on what it does best for higher HP cars. Boost control, CANbus integration, meth integration, safety features, etc.

5) Note you probably need to be making 425whp or more to benefit from the BMS back end flash.

6) It's a BMS flash map. If you email us asking about a Cobb flash we'll have no idea what you are talking about. We DO NOT use the Cobb flash maps. We are simply using this Cobb AP device for at home flashing of the BMS flash map as it's the least expensive and best way to handle it.

And if you need a Cobb AP we keep them IN STOCK. Email us for special offers.

CLICK HERE TO ORDER

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 07-31-2012, 04:40 PM

Awesome. I need to hurry up and go with bigger turbo(s).
(#3)
Old

Car: BMW 335I
Default 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM

Terry,

I'm not in the market as of yet but have a question. When you refer to the Cobb as the Flash loader I assume you load the tune onto the Cobb then flash as normally. Would you be able to use the Cobb to load Flashes on other vehicles or would it still be Vin locked. Is there a generic option that you could upload the Flash with?

Last edited by NJrep335I; 07-31-2012 at 06:26 PM..
(#4)
Old

Car: FBO 335xi w/FSB 50/50 meth
Default 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM

Map sensor needs to be swapped at some point, right?
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-31-2012, 06:00 PM

Cobb is required to load the flash and they VIN lock. Yes we have 3.5 bar TMAP support with the JB4 already.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 07-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#8)
Old
1992 world bingo champion

Car: 08 535xi
Default 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM

JB4 G4, DCIs and '94 (RM2)
(#9)
Old

Default 07-31-2012, 08:28 PM

Awesome Terry!
(#10)
Old

Car: 08 E92 335i
Default 07-31-2012, 10:22 PM

This is excellent news. You know I ordered the Cobb AP already, and I really can't wait to take these RB's to the next level.....
(#11)
Old

Car: 08 135i , 06 325xi e90
Default 08-01-2012, 07:29 AM

sub'd

e92
(#12)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 08-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrink24
Map sensor needs to be swapped at some point, right?
Map sensor voltage scaling can be tweaked using Cobbs ATR software, or Terry can do it using his ATP. You could essentially run whatever size map sensor you wanted. AEM 5 bar anyone?
(#13)
Old
Probably being sarcastic

Car: e46 323i & e90 335i
Default 08-01-2012, 08:19 AM

So if I buy the Vishnnu turbo kit, I can run a jb4 tune but I need a Cobb AP to install it?
ultra haursepowwaazZZ!

200k mi 99 blk 4dr e46 m52 323i w/ h&r's k&n cai shark'd
95 e36 m3 s50 5spd stg2 turner re11a's autox toy lol
07 BSM 6spd e90 n54 335i jb4 g5 iso ar **'s SPEC 2+ w/ SMFW BMW ssk bms dci RB pcv 455lph lpfp 50% e85 Syn. BOV hijk lmnop
94 e34 530it 290k 350ci sbc tko600 project

(#14)
Old

Car: 2011 335is
Default 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM

Sounds great Terry!

So are you a Cobb pro tuner now or the flash is souly JB4 flashes?
(#15)
Old

Car: 08 135i
Default 08-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Terry will you only be touching fuel and timing tables or will you also be playing with vanos and other options?
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulz_M3
Map sensor voltage scaling can be tweaked using Cobbs ATR software, or Terry can do it using his ATP. You could essentially run whatever size map sensor you wanted. AEM 5 bar anyone?
That may work with Cobb, I don't know, because MAP is 1.25bar and TMAP 2.5bar so they are not similarly scaled. But regardless we do all the TMAP scaling on the JB4 end.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-01-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw
Sounds great Terry!

So are you a Cobb pro tuner now or the flash is souly JB4 flashes?
Technically we are a "pro tuner" (paid the $3k and setup a vendor account), but I think I would rather hit myself in the head with a hammer repeatedly than provide one off custom Cobb flash tunes for a living. Dialing in boost is really a PITA and many things I would do on the JB4 end for example are not present on the flash side.

So, we're only doing this to provide back end maps that augment or replace JB4 tuning functions.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk
Terry will you only be touching fuel and timing tables or will you also be playing with vanos and other options?
The short answer is yes. We will be doing a variety of large turbo related things on the flash side that are not possible to do with a JB4 alone.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Car: bmw 335i
Default 08-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The short answer is yes. We will be doing a variety of large turbo related things on the flash side that are not possible to do with a JB4 alone.
well i answer here, i have a cps and jb4 with coolingmist integrated add 50
and 35 shot, the cps when run? at n2o is enabled in map 3?
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM

For the G4 w/ CPS you would enable nitrous trigger integration to keep the CPS active while meth is flowing. We don't provide email support for nitrous but there are several threads on this forum you can track down, and a few members who use it who may be able to provide some advice.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Car: 2011 335is
Default 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Technically we are a "pro tuner" (paid the $3k and setup a vendor account), but I think I would rather hit myself in the head with a hammer repeatedly than provide one off custom Cobb flash tunes for a living. Dialing in boost is really a PITA and many things I would do on the JB4 end for example are not present on the flash side.

So, we're only doing this to provide back end maps that augment or replace JB4 tuning functions.
Good stuff, I have been waiting on you for this!!
(#22)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Car: '07 E90-335xi
Default 08-01-2012, 02:49 PM

Would be fun if one of Shiv's customers comes through and Tune the Single with JB4+Cobb.
Awesome stuff though Terry, Looking to get in a 135i soon and dump the XI and put some RB's in!

JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL **'s | BT Tool | Stett Tial BOV W/Meth Charge Pipe [soon] | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Finishing Rods | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & few extras not listed. Car: '07 E90 335xi vrrooom lol'
(#23)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 08-01-2012, 09:55 PM

so if I would send BMS my ecu, could you flash it for me (so I don't have to spend $900 on a AP)?
(#24)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
so if I would send BMS my ecu, could you flash it for me (so I don't have to spend $900 on a AP)?
No, we're not really interested in being in the flash tune market any more than we need to be. Posting these free flash maps is about as involved as I see us being.

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Car: Z4 s35i 7DCT
Default 08-02-2012, 12:46 AM

Terry,

I have RB's and I just bought the G5, how will the flash affect that vs the G4?

E89 N54 / Wedge / RB Turbos / AFE DCI / HPF FMIC / Stett CP / Forge DV's / AR Cattless **'s / BMS OCC / RB PCV2 / BMS Spacers