N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default Advanced N54 PCV discussion and upgrade>>>> - 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM

I have spent the last couple hours inspecting the N54 Valve cover and observing the internal PCV system. I have come across what I think to be some very good news.

First off what I have found is that the PCV valve internal the valve cover IS serviceable. The bad news is that it doesn't appear to be available for purchase. But since I also have found that the plastic PCV valve does not hold pressure well that is not necessarily a bad thing.

What the leaky PCV valve means is that when you are in boosted conditions, the "highly" pressurized PCV valve leaks turbocharged pressures into the crankcase. Pending on the condition of your PCV valve, it could leak worse than others. I believe the unit I tested is in very good condition, yet still leaks and therefore I am not impressed.

Also what I have found is that if for some reason your valve cover is loose or has a bad gasket, you also could develop a pressure leak either external to the engine or internal into the crankcase causing further pressurization of the crankcase.

I am going to look into an upgrade of this PCV valve. It likely will require some custom adaptations and machining, but I believe would be well worth the benefits to those serious about their cars. The concept I have in mind at the moment will be a very EASY bolt in solution, possibly taking just minutes.

Please note the solution will only fix the OEM PCV valve itself, not a leaky gasket or otherwise poor seal (that will have to be addressed with lots of elbow grease). I do recommend if EVER pulling off the valve cover to always replace the OEM gasket with a new one and use a GOOD sealant (ie. The Right Stuff) around these pressurization ports that are fed through each intake port.

Also note this will not negate the Pro's of Oil Catch Cans, but could reduce what they otherwise collect. It also could be reasoned that those who catch a TON of oil have a less "healthy" internal valve cover PCV valve.

Will give some more updates later, but stay tuned and don't go swapping out a valve cover because of fear of a bad internal PCV system just yet.

Just to note the OEM BMW Check valve hose part # is 11157553949

Pictures of unit:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=126

Installation DIY:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=160
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=190

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A PLASTIC CAP THAT HOLDS THE PCV VALVE IN PLACE. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THIS CAP. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE MUCH TORQUE. DAMAGE MAY OCCUR. I believe about 36-42in/lb should be ideal. Do not exceed 48in/lb (4ft/lb) on this cap. Also use your best judgment. You also may find a 1/2in box end wrench has a more secure/snug fit than the 13mm to avoid risk of stripping plastic end cap end.

If you would like to order the unit:
First Read-
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=109

$45 shipped to rob.rbturbo@gmail.com if anyone wants one send away... Just make sure your full address is on the PayPal.

Thanks,
Rob

NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS and the $50 shipped price!!!
Due to several items that have been not arriving internationally for the past couple weeks (and the loss we have been sustaining by sending out replacement units), affective immediately we have to make some changes.

Here is the situation for purchase options for International customers:
1) We refund you your money to avoid the risk of shipping and loss responsibility on our behalf.
2) We ship you the unit via USPS at the cheap shipping rate and provide a tracking number at your request, but hold no responsibility for it's arrival and will not be able to assist in retrieving/contacting/etc the post offices involved in the item.
3) We get you a guaranteed shipping quote, but it typically is at around $50.
4) You provide a shipping address within the USA.

This will be our new disclaimer of sorts for International orders that utilize the cheaper shipping methods (plan on adding this to the website):
Due to the low cost of this selection and the cooperation required with the postal services that the component be delivered, RB Turbo LLC does not accept ultimate responsibility for it's arrival and will only be able to provide the tracking information for the item shipped. Therefore by making this selection you accept responsibility for the item not arriving. Please consider alternative shipping methods for a guaranteed arrival.

Sorry for the inconvenience… we have just had enough of taking responsibility for the shortcomings of the postal services within the USA and also those at the customer side's country and for each unit that is lost we lose about $50 on what would've been a $10 profit- all in the name of trying to get the item to the customer for a fair price in shipping.

Thanks for your understanding,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 07-26-2013 at 08:39 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: '07 335i MT
Default 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM

Subscribed!

SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA **, Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

SOLD -- '10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF **, Fuel-it st2, Mfactory LSD, powerflex subrframe bushings
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-17-2012, 02:42 AM

sounds great Rob! I removed my catch can , was collecting lots of oil and with repeated pulls my oil level would go down quickly. now oil level is fine again even after lots of pulls and miles.

07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 Flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
(#4)
Old

Car: Z4 s35i 7DCT
Default 03-17-2012, 06:15 AM

+1 on the Subscribed!

E89 N54 / Wedge / RB Turbos / AFE DCI / HPF FMIC / Stett CP / Forge DV's / AR Cattless **'s / BMS OCC / RB PCV2 / BMS Spacers
(#5)
Old

Car: '07 335i MT
Default 03-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita
sounds great Rob! I removed my catch can , was collecting lots of oil and with repeated pulls my oil level would go down quickly. now oil level is fine again even after lots of pulls and miles.
I'm sorry if I missed the point, but why is your oil level stable now that you removed the OCC?

SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA **, Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

SOLD -- '10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF **, Fuel-it st2, Mfactory LSD, powerflex subrframe bushings
(#6)
Old

Default 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv85
I'm sorry if I missed the point, but why is your oil level stable now that you removed the OCC?
i have no idea but might be related to the removal of the occ. I was collecting lots of oil in it which is probably why the level was going down.

07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 Flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
(#7)
Old

Default 03-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Are you talking about the little valve assembly in the cover? I remember cleaning mine out and swapping between both of my 335i BMWs because I suspected there might have been a problem with the valve that switches flow paths between boost/idle/decel conditions.
Attached Images

11 335d M-sport JBD 12.3 @ 110.48
12 LEAF 106 MPGe
08 335i Sedan 11.11 @ 129.43
08 335i Coupe JB3 2.0 11.33 @ 132.77
60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Once oil has reached the OCC it will never make it back in the crankcase. It would be injected to the inlet side of the rear turbo, go through the IC and charge *****, and what is left will burn up in the combustion chamber. but if the OCC was restrictive that could cause excessive crankcase pressure and all sorts of problems.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Hotrod, yes that part on the right is the internal valve cover PCV valve. IMO we should try to adapt a better valve in its place.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-17-2012, 10:45 AM

I've thought of making a better separator valve that will screw in there but haven't really spent enough time on it. I think we need to come up with some sort of in car test to determine if the valve is in fact leaking under boost. Maybe measuring crankcase pressure with it working normally and again blocked?

As a quick test I put a nipple over it for a week or two and noticed a lot more water condensation caught in the OCC. Makes sense as that valve sucks crankcase junk during idle / engine vacuum where there should not be much blow by but lots of cold start condensation, etc. But didn't spend enough time to really come up with a proper test for it.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old
Super Demigod

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Default 03-17-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
+1 I'd lose a half quart after like 6-7 back to back pulls and likely starved one of my turbos in the process with the BSH OCC, once I took it out, I don't lose a drop of oil no matter how hard I beat on it. Looking forward to results.

E90 LCI N54 6AT
(#12)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Im interested in what Terry is going to make to fix this When he makes a product sign me up for it.
(#13)
Old
Keyboard racer

Car: 335i e92 MT
Default 03-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182
Are you talking about the little valve assembly in the cover? I remember cleaning mine out and swapping between both of my 335i BMWs because I suspected there might have been a problem with the valve that switches flow paths between boost/idle/decel conditions.
Hmm, interesting.
I'll definitely have a look at mine.

| 335i n54 e92 MT | Vishnu V5 | Big Tom IC | Vishnu DCI, With Big Tom Heatshield | Big Tom Air Scoops | Modified BMS OCC | Cooling Mist Basic Meth Injection | Forge DV's |
| Ultimate Racing ********* 2.5" DPs | Milltek ********* Exhaust | ACT Street Clutch | MCV | OEM Aero Lip | OEM M-shift Nob | M3 Trunk Spoiler | M3 Alu Pedals | Black M3 19" |

(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpijb
Im interested in what Terry is going to make to fix this When he makes a product sign me up for it.
I'm happy to make something, but if Rob already has something in the works also happy to let him take the lead on the project.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old
Keyboard racer

Default 03-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
As a quick test I put a nipple over it for a week or two and noticed a lot more water condensation caught in the OCC.
I noticed that too when I had my check valve plugged a while ago.

| 335i n54 e92 MT | Vishnu V5 | Big Tom IC | Vishnu DCI, With Big Tom Heatshield | Big Tom Air Scoops | Modified BMS OCC | Cooling Mist Basic Meth Injection | Forge DV's |
| Ultimate Racing ********* 2.5" DPs | Milltek ********* Exhaust | ACT Street Clutch | MCV | OEM Aero Lip | OEM M-shift Nob | M3 Trunk Spoiler | M3 Alu Pedals | Black M3 19" |

(#16)
Old
Helix Bimmersport R&D

Car: 2007 E92 335i
Default 03-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Anver makes some very nice check valves with both male and female thread I'm sure you could probably find something you can make work for this application!
http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum%20components/vacuum%20valves/valve-check.htm

Helix Bimmersport R&D
www.helixbimmersport.com
(#17)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default 03-18-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
But since I also have found that the plastic PCV valve does not hold pressure well that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Good stuff Rob, Thanks!
Why is a leaky valve not necessarily a bad thing?
How did you pressure check the valve?
(#18)
Old
Keyboard racer

Default 03-18-2012, 07:26 AM

I removed my check valve today and it actually looked quite good.
I cleaned it with a lot of Quick Clean and it worked perfectly when I tested it afterwards.

(#19)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM

This valve definitely leaks some. There are better metal valves that do not leak at all. I tested it at around 20psi.

(#20)
Old

Default 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I'm happy to make something, but if Rob already has something in the works also happy to let him take the lead on the project.
What im thinking Terry is how come we cant disable this check valve all together and force all the junk to go to the BMS OCC? Would this stop all the problems people have with the gunk buildup on the valves if we could disable this all together?

Last edited by stpijb; 03-18-2012 at 02:32 PM..
(#21)
Old

Default 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM

Good work Rob, definitely looking forward to updates on this.

Interestingly my mechanic decided to replace the valve cover, pcv pipe and gasket when he installed the turbos last week. He mentioned that his brother works as a master technician for BMW and recommended changing the parts as a few n54s they had in needed those parts replaced under warranty. Could be bs but I decided to give him the go ahead as I had issues with oil consumption and my OCC (now removed).
(#22)
Old
Reaper of Speed

Default 03-18-2012, 02:12 PM

Interesting thread...subscribed.

"Game Plan=Don't DIE!"-GriMM
"Plan B:Capture The Enemy Flag!"-PHANTOM666
(#23)
Old

Car: 135
Default 03-18-2012, 02:53 PM

I'm pretty interested too. I've had 3 different OCCs: RR, BSH, and now BMS for the last 6 weeks. I checked the BMS OCC a couple days ago and there's a a coating of oil but no real accumulation. I always drive it like I stole it and I never caught much oil in RR or BSH can either. It would seem though that in all cases, with any can installed, I consume oil much faster, like a quart every 1K to 2K miles as opposed to maybe a quart in 5K with the stock PCV setup. Sounds like enrita and themyst may have had somewhat similar experiences... I hear everyone say you have to use a catch can, but it just doesn't seem like it's working for me and I don't have enough knowledge/experience know what's the best thing to do. So yeah, bring on the discussion.

2009 135i 6MT Jet Black, FBO+
(#24)
Old

Car: 08 335
Default 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM

(#25)
Old
Stalker

Default 03-18-2012, 06:29 PM

I have a couple OEM PCV valves I was going to look into adapting.

Although these appear to be really cool, and would possibly work better when it comes to adaptations, I ultimately have concerns about getting the one with the correct flow rate.

Using another OEM Metal PCV valve designed specifically for engines this size would rule out the possibility of choosing an incorrect flow rate IMO.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBullett
Anver makes some very nice check valves with both male and female thread I'm sure you could probably find something you can make work for this application!
http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum...alve-check.htm