N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Porsche Macan
Question Gearbox question for S5 & RS5 - 08-10-2019, 03:06 PM

My S5 has the ZF 8 speed TipTronic gearbox. The RS model with 100 BHP more in stock compared to the S5, do the share the exact gearboch and transmission? I know there are differences in the engine with piston and so on.
Sonce the JB 4 make the same amount of BHP as the RS.
(#2)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 08-10-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinulf
My S5 has the ZF 8 speed TipTronic gearbox. The RS model with 100 BHP more in stock compared to the S5, do the share the exact gearboch and transmission? I know there are differences in the engine with piston and so on.
Sonce the JB 4 make the same amount of BHP as the RS.
The same ZF transmission seems to be shared across a few brands and is not unique to Audi. Seems to be very robust in terms of power capability.

In regard to the S5 and RS5 although the transmission seems to be the same model all the gear ratios are different.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#3)
Old

Car: Porsche Macan
Default 08-11-2019, 02:04 AM

Thanks George, when tuning a car one has to take into account what the weak link might be. I really like the programing of the JB4 not allowing full access to the engine power when it is cold and the Valet feature. I was scared to death in Milano 2 weeks ago when the hotel was going to take the car to a garage a couple of kilometers away.

Guess You have compared your JB 4 with the competition, ABT. Twice as costly in the US compared to JB4. In europe close to 4000 Dollars just for the tuning piggy back.
(#4)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 08-11-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinulf
Thanks George, when tuning a car one has to take into account what the weak link might be. I really like the programing of the JB4 not allowing full access to the engine power when it is cold and the Valet feature. I was scared to death in Milano 2 weeks ago when the hotel was going to take the car to a garage a couple of kilometers away.

Guess You have compared your JB 4 with the competition, ABT. Twice as costly in the US compared to JB4. In europe close to 4000 Dollars just for the tuning piggy back.
We have a couple of S4/S5 with larger turbos pushing North of 550hp and there hasn't been any indication of the transmission being weak on those cars with no slip or anything over a good 10months now.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo