N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default BMS N55 E Performance Intake - Worth Getting One? - 07-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Am wondering whether to put a BMS Performance Intake on the car (or something similar if anyone's got any suggestions?) but am not sure if they'll be a benefit?

Have read a few reviews/posts and the general opinion seems to be that the E N55 OEM unit flows quite well so, would there be a difference? The majority of these comments are however from people with minimal mods so it would be good to hear from anyone who's got one of these and is running high boost.

Thanks

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-02-2017, 11:06 AM

Adds a bit of hp, looks fantastic, sounds fantastic. Helps with turbo response as well.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-02-2017, 12:43 PM

Thanks Payam,

I'm about to order a few things from BMS so, unless anyone chimes in with something to the contrary, I'll include one of these .

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")
(#4)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 07-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyap
Thanks Payam,

I'm about to order a few things from BMS so, unless anyone chimes in with something to the contrary, I'll include one of these .
Caused slower response for me, went back to K&N drop in filter.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46533
(#5)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-02-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting - haven't seen that before

Have you tested/tried anything further since your post on 11th May?

(#6)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 07-02-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Ran it a bit more and just felt slower. Switched back to my K&N and haven't felt like trying it again. Thinking about a custom intake all the way to the Pure inlet.
(#7)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 07-03-2017, 11:33 AM

The bms intakes just sounds nice, I didnt really notice any gains. Now the the injen sp intake I actually noticed my car was faster and responded better.

2013 DCT Jet Black 135i
-JB4 Stage 2 ISO/w Flex Fuel Wires-Fuel it Stage 3 Bucketless LPFP-PDU Port Injection-Big Boost 6564 Bottom Mount Turbo Kit-Big Boost Chargepipe-Active Autowerke-BOV-Injen SP Intake with Blox Velocity Stack and Turbo Guard Filter-VRSF 7.5 in Stepped Race Intercooler--BMS OCC/OCV/CF-N20 TMAP-N20 Plugs-Motul 300v 5W-40-Archoil 9100-Motul Mocool-Custom 3.5 inch Straight Pipe Exhaust-Stoptech Rotors/Fluid-PFC Track Pads-VMR 710-Toyo R888r-M4 Flywheel- SSP R Clutches
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weehe
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46533
First time Ive ever heard of that. Most of our customers notice an immediate difference

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 07-03-2017, 01:23 PM

I think the injen is a better made intake. It replaces both factory pieces and connects directly to the turbo inlet with a true 3" diameter. I ran the Bms one before I got the injen, it worked well I just didn't like the way it's designed to mount up, and still uses the factory tube/coupler. it also rattled on the cowl in my 1 series.

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#10)
Old

Default 07-03-2017, 02:02 PM

My car wouldn't even run properly with the bms Intake when I would go WOT. Not common but it happens on some cars. I had No issues with injen intake though for what it's worth.
(#11)
Old

Car: N55 M-Sport 335i
Default 07-03-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
I think the injen is a better made intake. It replaces both factory pieces and connects directly to the turbo inlet with a true 3" diameter. I ran the Bms one before I got the injen, it worked well I just didn't like the way it's designed to mount up, and still uses the factory tube/coupler. it also rattled on the cowl in my 1 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan
My car wouldn't even run properly with the bms Intake when I would go WOT. Not common but it happens on some cars. I had No issues with injen intake though for what it's worth.
So I take it you're both running the Injen Intake?
(#12)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-03-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are My World
I am

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#13)
Old
Legend

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 07-03-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I am
Have you ran it without methanol? I'm curious how the IATs are with a metal pipe. I am sure it sounds a lot better though.

2011 E92 335i Auto
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
11.7 @ 120MPH E30 MHD / 0-60 3.66
Sold

2014 E84 X1 35i 12.75 @ 107MPH / 0-60 4.55 / 293 AWHP 305 AWTQ When stock
VRSF Chargepipe | BMS Intake | JB4 ISO | N20 TMAP | VRSF 7" Intercooler | ER Turbo Outlet | XHP Stage 2 | BMS Methanol Injection |
(#14)
Old

Default 07-03-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I am
Would you be able to get any sound clips for me? I'd really appreciate it!

Also, have you noticed/logged any tangible gains? At the very least, it hasn't negatively impacted performance in any way right? Hearing arguments for intakes on our platform is almost 50/50 in terms of whether or not "it's worth it".
(#15)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-03-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Boost
Have you ran it without methanol? I'm curious how the IATs are with a metal pipe. I am sure it sounds a lot better though.
I use direct port meth(none of it is pre sensor) my IATs are a true reading. I've been using the VRSF 7.5" race fmic with it and only saw an average of 6* rise from a 2-3-4-5-6 pull on 18-19psi. I doubt you would see a temp difference between the plastic and metal tubes when WOT.

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#16)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-03-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Would you be able to get any sound clips for me? I'd really appreciate it!

Also, have you noticed/logged any tangible gains? At the very least, it hasn't negatively impacted performance in any way right? Hearing arguments for intakes on our platform is almost 50/50 in terms of whether or not "it's worth it".
Intake is an intake, the injen is louder then the Bms.

Here's a video of my car when it had the BMS intake.
https://youtu.be/HEuupIShU6c

Don't have one of the Injen.

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#17)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 07-04-2017, 12:24 AM

I still wish we could have a maf delete, or some sorf of a maf extentsion cable so we could simply slap a filter directly onto a pure inlet!

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" ** / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#18)
Old

Default 07-04-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Intake is an intake, the injen is louder then the Bms.

Here's a video of my car when it had the BMS intake.
https://youtu.be/HEuupIShU6c

Don't have one of the Injen.
Ah, I see. Thank you though
(#19)
Old

Default 07-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I am not. Wish I didn't sell mine because I would run it now. Initially I removed it because you get a little more dust under the hood with the open intake, so I removed it for a while then ended up selling mine. As newguy mentioned, the piping is 3 inches I believe all the way to the turbo inlet, which is good imo because it replaces all of the stock intake components up to the inlet. Probably the best option next to a filter directly on the inlet, which isn't possible right now.
(#20)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 07-04-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan
. Probably the best option next to a filter directly on the inlet, which isn't possible right now.
come to think of it, if the injen intake pipe is 3" all the way and around the MAF aswel and it doesnt mess with the maf readings of the car, wouldnt it be possible to make some sort of a maf connector extention and stick the maf right on a 3" smaller intake right near the inlet? it would still be a 3" intake with a maf connection, just a really really short one.

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" ** / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#21)
Old

Default 07-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Just get the injen intake it made a noticeable difference on my car over the bms intake

2013 DCT Jet Black 135i
-JB4 Stage 2 ISO/w Flex Fuel Wires-Fuel it Stage 3 Bucketless LPFP-PDU Port Injection-Big Boost 6564 Bottom Mount Turbo Kit-Big Boost Chargepipe-Active Autowerke-BOV-Injen SP Intake with Blox Velocity Stack and Turbo Guard Filter-VRSF 7.5 in Stepped Race Intercooler--BMS OCC/OCV/CF-N20 TMAP-N20 Plugs-Motul 300v 5W-40-Archoil 9100-Motul Mocool-Custom 3.5 inch Straight Pipe Exhaust-Stoptech Rotors/Fluid-PFC Track Pads-VMR 710-Toyo R888r-M4 Flywheel- SSP R Clutches
(#22)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-04-2017, 02:12 PM

Well, thanks for all the responses. Was thinking it was going to be a simple case of bolting on the BMS kit. How wrong was I

Time for a re-think

(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-04-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ilove
The bms intakes just sounds nice, I didnt really notice any gains. Now the the injen sp intake I actually noticed my car was faster and responded better.
We pressure drop tested all of them. The BMS intake performed the best (tends to happen with shorter piping) and unlike the Injen didn't rub on our hood or heat-soak sitting in traffic. That said hp gains between them were all similar. So pick your poison!

If you notice a performance difference it's not from the intake differences though.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Default 07-04-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***sooba
come to think of it, if the injen intake pipe is 3" all the way and around the MAF aswel and it doesnt mess with the maf readings of the car, wouldnt it be possible to make some sort of a maf connector extention and stick the maf right on a 3" smaller intake right near the inlet? it would still be a 3" intake with a maf connection, just a really really short one.
This would be great, but I think something with the maf needs to be rescaled. Which I believe can be done in mhd, but not sure.
(#25)
Old

Default 07-04-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We pressure drop tested all of them. The BMS intake performed the best (tends to happen with shorter piping) and unlike the Injen didn't rub on our hood or heat-soak sitting in traffic. That said hp gains between them were all similar. So pick your poison!

If you notice a performance difference it's not from the intake differences though.
What caused the injen to heat soak vs the bms not heat soaking? Is it the metal pipe vs plastic? Would love to see the data.

Also, When you pressure tested intakes, did you do it from the end of the main intake pipe or from the piping that connects to the inlet? Asking because all testing I have seen us from just the end of the main intake pipe, not from the inlet, which is the portion injen replaces.