N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#276)
Old

Car: 335i Convertible 07
Default 10-05-2014, 12:02 PM

I measured the backlash and it was well within spec. If i didnt do it wrong that is!
measured it two times with the diff out between.
Strange because no one seems to have to use shims.
The sound isnt whistling really i cant explain it. At the same time as the LSD install i fixed a broken vacuum line to the exhaust flap. But today i heard that the flap is creating all kinds of strange of noises. It rattles at idle and reving it almost whistles. Could be that creating the nolse. Because before i fixed the line. That little flap made the whole convertible rattle like something was loose..

Also i found that people replacing the diff bushings to powerflex sometimes get a similar sound of resonance which the oem seem to absorb which the harder aftermarket bushing instead seem to amplify.
My car is also i convertible and i have over time developed the feeling of every small vibration gets resonated through the chassis.

Last edited by Bergstrom; 10-06-2014 at 02:07 AM..
(#277)
Old

Car: 2013 135is DCT
Default 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergstrom
I measured the backlash and it was well within spec. If i didnt do it wrong that is!
The sound isnt whistling really i cant explain it. At the same time as the LSD install i fixed a broken vacuum line to the exhaust flap. But today i heard that the flap is creating all kinds of strange of noises. It rattles at idle and reving it almost whistles. Could be that creating the nolse. Because before i fixed the line. That little flap made the whole convertible rattle like something was loose..
You're right, whistling isn't really the sound I would describe it as if it were truly a backlash issue. It's more of a whine than whistle.

But noise coming from exhaust flap wouldn't happen from backlash issue. You said you heard whistling only on deceleration, and I'm assuming you mean gas off pedal not brakes being applied. Me thinks backlash too tight...

Just curious what gear oil did you use?

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos

Last edited by dubbedown; 10-05-2014 at 12:26 PM..
(#278)
Old

Default 10-05-2014, 10:51 PM

After some driving i found that i believe i hear something when driving low speeds, i can't hear it at higher speed.
Almost more like a resonating sound, lower frequency. When letting the gas pedal off i can only hear it from certain speeds. Say 50km/h. But sometimes i there is not sound, more like it's rpm and speed based.

Go higher than city driving and the noise is no more.

I used the standard Castrol 75-90 for without modifiers. Is there a better one?
(#279)
Old

Car: 335i CDV
Default 10-16-2014, 07:31 AM

MFactory, what is the total lockup on your lsd?

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
Fuel-it! Stage 2 standard,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")
(#280)
Old

Car: BMW E92 M3
Default 10-16-2014, 08:48 AM

Helical LSD's don't lock, rather, they are in a constant state of torque bias between the left/right wheels depending on traction.

The maximum torque transfer to one side is 75%
(#281)
Old

Default 10-17-2014, 08:51 AM

thanks

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")
(#282)
Old

Car: E89 Z4 35i
Default 10-29-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Also i found that people replacing the diff bushings to powerflex sometimes get a similar sound of resonance which the oem seem to absorb which the harder aftermarket bushing instead seem to amplify.
My car is also i convertible and i have over time developed the feeling of every small vibration gets resonated through the chassis.
The gear whine is a direct result of the harder bushings, which translate that resonance into the cabin instead of absorbing it. It's is most prominent on deceleration.

I got it on my E92 M3 the moment I upgraded to delrin/aluminum diff bushings on the OEM diff with no other changes to the diff other than the bushings.
(#283)
Old

Car: 08 135i
Default 10-29-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebila
well, I have a small pumpkin (2008 135i AT), I used to have the ball bearings with the stock differential ...
Also had the big ball bearings (japan) in my small AT diff. I think BMW went to the taper bearings from hungary in late 2008 year

08' 135i - Cobb Custom E70, FBO, suspension stuff.
(OLD) 11 Camaro SS - 10.20@135 naturally aspirated @630rwhp.
(#284)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 10-30-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietcoke
Also had the big ball bearings (japan) in my small AT diff. I think BMW went to the taper bearings from hungary in late 2008 year
my 135i AT is from 06/2008.

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#285)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM

I presume the "small" and "large" housings are interchangeable? Swapping a 3.08 carrier from our 2009 E92 MT over to our 2008 E82 automatic.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#286)
Old
Legend

Default 10-30-2014, 09:20 AM

no, I think that if you want to swap small and large housings, you have to swap the shafts too.

(#287)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 12-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebila
no, I think that if you want to swap small and large housings, you have to swap the shafts too.
correct, def different lengths
(#288)
Old

Default 12-26-2014, 07:25 PM

I know this is an old post but I'm getting my LSD installed with these same bearings. Hope it goes as well as yours.

Quote:

(#289)
Old

Default 12-27-2014, 02:18 AM

Yes, it was quite a straight forwards installation, no need to hand it away.
We later on concluded that the sound was from the stiffer bushings, so be prepared for that.
(#290)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 08-21-2015, 01:30 PM

thread revival

anyone figured out what bearings to get on a 135i DCT?
did not find any info on this

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" ** / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#291)
Old
Legend

Default 08-21-2015, 01:43 PM

You should ask directly Stephen (MFactory).

(#292)
Old

Default 08-22-2015, 05:02 PM

I have a Mfactory sitting waiting to go in, but everything I read, said to re-use the stock bearings unless damaged during removal.
(#293)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-24-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehouse
I have a Mfactory sitting waiting to go in, but everything I read, said to re-use the stock bearings unless damaged during removal.
Yes.
I had mine installed at a local gear shop.
Reused the bearings, just new seals.
(#294)
Old

Default 08-25-2015, 08:40 AM

If they damage the bearing during removal, I really don't know where you could get the replacement. So be careful

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")