N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 335i Coupe
Default Dyno numbers seem too high given my mods... - 05-20-2014, 08:41 PM

I know, I know,....nothing to complain about, and it's certainly a better problem to have then low numbers. Honestly, I was shocked when I saw the dyno screen so we switched from Map 2 to 1 then back to Map 2 again and the car backed it up as you can see. She put down 416 rwhp and 430 rwtq with only these mods:

BMS DCI
JB4 G5 ISO (Map 2)
VRSF 7" Intercooler
BMW Performance Exhaust
Chevron 93 pump gas and manual 6 speed
on a DynoJet Dyno

Using 15% driveline loss that's 490 hp and 506 ft. lbs. torque!!
That's with no *********, factory cats in place and no E85. I dunno. I guess I'm still kinda' shocked and am wondering if it sounds right? I started reeling in a 5.0 Mustang 1 week ago in 2nd and 3rd gears so maybe the numbers are straight. They just seem unusually high to me given my mods and why an 89 hp difference between Map 2 and 1?

The dyno operator said my A/F ratio of 13.5 - 13.8 was too lean even for an N54 and he showed me a prior N54 running 12.7 A/F ratio.

I dyno'ed on this same DynoJet one year ago (also in March) on Map 5 and put down 335 rwhp and 342 rwtq, but I didn't have the 7" Intercooler nor the BMW PE. This is an 81 hp jump with those additions, Map 2 and Chevron.
Attached Images

Space Gray, 6MT, Sport and Premium Pkg., JB4 G5 ISO, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMW Performance Exhaust, BMS DCI - OCC - CDV - and Clutch Stop, M3 Spoiler, Clear Bra, 20% Tint
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 135i
Default 05-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Did you log that run on the dyno? If not, what is your most recent log you have...post if you got it.

2014 BMW 335i Sedan 8 Speed Auto
JB4 Map 7/Intake/E40
12.49 @113 mph with Continental DWS All-season tires
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 135i
Default 05-21-2014, 01:03 AM

you have high number because you're running way too lean.
you shouldn't run like this.
post a log to check where is your issue.

running this lean with pump gas is very risky for your engine.

running E60, my AFR are between 12.5 and 13.
in your dyno sheet, you're running between 13.5 and 14 with pump gas!!!

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#4)
Old
Enjoys Retirement

Car: 09 135i with M-sport Pkg
Default 05-21-2014, 01:42 AM

From Map 1-2 you had a 90WHP gain?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Something is definetly wierd. I also agree with Trebila. Your AFR's are a bit high at WOT.

Autobahn.......its what's for dinner!!!
(#5)
Old

Default 05-21-2014, 04:31 AM

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

Yes I do have a log from those dyno pulls and I will post it. No time now because I have to leave for work.

I've been concerned about a "too lean" condition since the dyno operator called my attention to it. In the n54 section, "how to dyno your car," it mentions a/f ratios of 14.5:1 due to direct injection, so I don't know what level is acceptable really.

Log pic to follow.

Space Gray, 6MT, Sport and Premium Pkg., JB4 G5 ISO, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMW Performance Exhaust, BMS DCI - OCC - CDV - and Clutch Stop, M3 Spoiler, Clear Bra, 20% Tint
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 05-21-2014, 07:08 AM

Wow that's impressive! What is a bms dci?
(#7)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 05-21-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
Wow that's impressive! What is a bms dci?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bms+dci
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-21-2014, 07:38 AM

Might be perfectly normal. Would need to see a JB4 log of the dyno run to offer any meaningful analysis.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 05-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
LOL thanks
(#10)
Old

Car: F02/E82
Default 05-21-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsabor67
From Map 1-2 you had a 90WHP gain?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Something is definetly wierd. I also agree with Trebila. Your AFR's are a bit high at WOT.
Agreed wtf!!

Dyno might be reading in the high side IMO for not even having A flash /**'s and not even using E85? Specially map 2 with no **
(#11)
Old

Default 05-21-2014, 12:55 PM

Here is a log of pull #3. I didn't know for sure which parameters are best to display here so I just turned nearly all of them on for the picture as you can see. If I should turn some off to make the chart more legible let me know which ones and I will post a cleaner graph picture.

The "leaner" 13.78 a/f reading was actually from the 325 rwhp Map 1 pull.

The slightly richer 13.53 a/f reading was from one of the stronger Map 2 pulls.
Attached Images

(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-21-2014, 01:31 PM

CSV file...

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#13)
Old

Default 05-21-2014, 01:40 PM

Attached:

(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Looks fairly normal, AFR is in check here, etc. I'd consider the pump gas back end flash though. May see even more HP with it.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 05-21-2014, 02:57 PM

Well a clean check is very good news indeed!! I need to learn about the pump gas back end flash and "how to" install etc.

Here is a log of Map 5, (not on the dyno), the day before the dyno pulls.
Can you please check my AFR for safety sake in this log.

Is there a JB4 dash function that I can activate to help us monitor AFR while on the street? Timing indicator etc.?