JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 330ix
Default G20 B46TU log review request 🪵🧑*💻 - 04-09-2022, 01:57 PM

Hello BMS friends! This is my first attempt at logging, hopefully I generated them appropriately.

2019 G20 330i xDrive
B46TU
BMS silicon intake pipe
AFE drop in filter
92 octane fuel

JB4 Map 2

First two runs are WOT but I didn’t hold the gear
Second two runs at WOT 4th gear

Thanks in advance for your time and any insights
Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M2_R4_220409_1225.csv (24.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by pdxdbo; 04-09-2022 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Added vehicle info
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-11-2022, 10:36 AM

Looks pretty normal but you'll likely want to stick with map 1 or map 2 so you timing doesn't tank.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-11-2022, 11:47 AM

Thank you for the review. I figured with 92 that Map 2 would be the max I should run.

I do have access to E85, if I went with a 70/30 92/E85 mix would that give me the octane level needed to run Map 3? Or would it be appropriate to start dialing in Map 6 at that point?
(#4)
Old

Default 04-15-2022, 02:10 PM

I filled my tank today with 11 gallons of 92 and 4 gallons of E85 and logged a couple runs on Map 3. I’m interested in how the timing held up, as always any insights are greatly appreciated.

I’d also appreciate any feedback on my upgrade path to get the most out of my B46. Next couple purchases I’m thinking of, in order:
  • EWG harness
  • NGK plugs gapped to 0.022
  • WMI

Beyond that if I can find a suitable BEF (options for B46 seem lacking) I’d like to see where Flex Fuel can get me on the stock turbo.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M3_R2_220415_1211.csv (23.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by pdxdbo; 04-15-2022 at 02:15 PM..
(#5)
Old

Car: 2020 BMW G20 330i
Default 04-25-2022, 07:49 PM

some minor timing correction. You might wanna add a little more E85 cuz it seems that the E content is a bit low given your boost2 is not on the high end of the stock turbo yet. Your trims are still good so it is able to take more E85. Other than that it looks normal. EWG is a must have if you plan on doing custom map6 and the gapped plugs and WMI will help to get the most out of the stock turbo.
(#6)
Old

Default 04-26-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoffyddd
some minor timing correction. You might wanna add a little more E85 cuz it seems that the E content is a bit low given your boost2 is not on the high end of the stock turbo yet. Your trims are still good so it is able to take more E85. Other than that it looks normal. EWG is a must have if you plan on doing custom map6 and the gapped plugs and WMI will help to get the most out of the stock turbo.
Thanks for the review, would you mind helping me learn a bit more about how you've read them?

I opened up the CSV, extracted the 4 timing columns and plotted them to get a sense of the changes of the run. I'm unable to post an image link here due to being a new member, but I observe a drop across all cylinders at ~5700 rpm where it drops from 17 to 0 for about 6 milliseconds (I'm assuming that's the timestamp unit) then resumes normal. Is that what you're describing as an instance of "minor timing correction"? I read Russell's post about the logging parameters, is my understanding correct that when the value in the ign column is 0 then the DME is not advancing timing at all?

There's a sharp drop that doesn't hit zero but represents a swing of -9 at the beginning of the first WOT run, is this an indication of timing correction as well? Thanks for any info you can share.

ETA: I'll look at bumping up the E85 ratio, I was afraid the mix I got from the only pump around here might be on the low side. I'll try 10/5 in the next few days and log some runs. I've also discovered a local source for high quality E85 in drums and jugs so I may give that a go at some point and see what the data says.

I ordered the EWG connector so once I get the fueling sorted I'd like to take a look at dialing in the absolute map.

2019 BMW 330i xDrive

Last edited by pdxdbo; 04-26-2022 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Added E85 discussion
(#7)
Old

Car: BMW G20 330i
Default 04-26-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxdbo
Thanks for the review, would you mind helping me learn a bit more about how you've read them?

I opened up the CSV, extracted the 4 timing columns and plotted them to get a sense of the changes of the run. I'm unable to post an image link here due to being a new member, but I observe a drop across all cylinders at ~5700 rpm where it drops from 17 to 0 for about 6 milliseconds (I'm assuming that's the timestamp unit) then resumes normal. Is that what you're describing as an instance of "minor timing correction"? I read Russell's post about the logging parameters, is my understanding correct that when the value in the ign column is 0 then the DME is not advancing timing at all?

There's a sharp drop that doesn't hit zero but represents a swing of -9 at the beginning of the first WOT run, is this an indication of timing correction as well? Thanks for any info you can share.
Does your car have no issue running that much ethanol? (I'm assuming around E30?)

Also what is a WMI if you don't mind me asking?
(#8)
Old

Default 04-26-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol
Does your car have no issue running that much ethanol? (I'm assuming around E30?)

Also what is a WMI if you don't mind me asking?
That 11/4 blend is probably closer to E20, but I think leoffyddd was referring to the fuel trim value as indicative of the car being able to handle a higher mix. From what I've read anything above E30 and the fuel volume becomes an issue, which I'm guessing would result in a noticeable change in the fuel trim values.

WMI is water methanol injection, see the BMS site for more info.

2019 BMW 330i xDrive
(#9)
Old

Car: 2020 BMW G20 330i
Default 04-26-2022, 06:19 PM

E85 does not necessarily mean there is 85% ethanol in it. It could be as low as 60% iirc.

About the timing, with factory settings when you go WOT the timing will always go back to 0 or sth close to that then start climbing again, ideally with no retardation. I referred to those 0.5 1 degree timing retardations as "minor corrections".

The drop from 17 to 0 must happened when you let go the gas pedal. It is normal.
(#10)
Old

Car: G20 330i, F25 X3, B9 SQ5, C7.5 A7
Default 04-27-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoffyddd
E85 does not necessarily mean there is 85% ethanol in it. It could be as low as 60% iirc.

About the timing, with factory settings when you go WOT the timing will always go back to 0 or sth close to that then start climbing again, ideally with no retardation. I referred to those 0.5 1 degree timing retardations as "minor corrections".

The drop from 17 to 0 must happened when you let go the gas pedal. It is normal.
E85 in IL is between 51-75% ethanol

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige