N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default Valve cover options - 01-17-2020, 12:57 AM

So I'm in the market for a new valve cover due to mine having a crack causing a leak into coil/plug #4 which caused the misfire in cyl 4. I was originally just going to go with a new stock one but I don't want this problem again so I want to upgrade. I bought the car just over a month ago with nearly 58k miles on it so I'm pretty sure this problem already existed. It was stock when I bought it but I have a feeling it wasn't always so. My guess is it had a flash at the very minimum. But my current mods are jb4, DCI, FMIC, XHP stag3 and chargepipe w/tial bov. I have down p’s(why does this website bleep that out?)too but they will be installed later now that I have to fix this first.

My question is if anyone has upgraded to one of the many brands that make aluminum valve covers, what route did you take for the PCV system? And which brand? Ill probably go with the vargas one since its fairly reasonable in terms of price and has good options. I just want to know if I buy an aftermarket cover, will it be an easy swap? What do I need to do to make the PCV system work with an aftermarket cover since the OE one is built in? Does anyone have pictures of their setup or a how to thread? I tried searching but nothing came up that I saw.

And while I'm replacing this I might as well go with an aftermarket intake manifold. Oh and single turbo. Okay maybe later on those.

Thanks.

Not sure why these uploaded upside down but here’s the crack and the resultant oil puddle.
Attached Images

Last edited by Skotcoop; 01-17-2020 at 09:59 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 135i N54
Default 01-20-2020, 04:22 PM

Look on Bimmerworld. I bought an aftermarket plastic one from them that is OEM fit and function. Not familiar with an aftermarket cover that Vargas provides, but I would email them for guidance. The billet one they make looks NICE.

heres the one I got, fitment was perfect. Comes with gaskets and new screws.
Valve Cover & Gasket Kit - N54 - E82 135i/1M, E9X 335i, E60 535i, E71 X6 35iX, E89 Z4

Last edited by Rustl3r; 01-20-2020 at 04:41 PM..
(#3)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 01-20-2020, 06:13 PM

While I don't have an aftermarket VC if you want to go for one you will want to externalize the PCV system. So there is that added cost of both a low and high side catch can and finding a vac source for both(very doable) vs. just buying a stock VC. You can externalize the PCV system on that as well, as I have. If a stock VC lasted you, say 60k assume the new one will last as long if not longer. Will you have the car for another 60k? Is the added cost of an aftermarket VC worth it?

My vote would be the M18 VC with the logo/emblem deleted and a quality high and low side PCV system with the head ports blocked and a real vacuum source for both. None of the VTA BS.

I wouldn't use the VTT cover as I think their products are generally ****. But do what you will. Just don't complain if something goes south as everyone will tell you you should have known better.

Before you install an aftermarket intake manifold I would figure out your FI solution. Be it twins or a single. They gains from an intake manifold are VERY questionable unless you are making decent wheel horse power.

If you want a single turbo get the ACF kit. better than DocRace or ON3 etc. and same price.

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?

Last edited by Torgus; 01-20-2020 at 06:18 PM..
(#4)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 01-21-2020, 05:40 AM

My I think stock valve cover (or at least OEM one) broke last year and I was in a tight spot with a house reno so I just got a $99 one off Ebay. It fit fine but cracked after about a year/10,000 miles and is now leaking onto my exhaust manifold shield instead of in the spark plug well.

For $100 I can't complain but it's definitely worth it to spend in the $250 range for a quality unit.

It's fairly well known but Beck/Arnley parts are usually %100 OEM with the logo sometimes scrapped off so that's what I'll probably be going with this time around.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default Vacuum - 07-18-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
While I don't have an aftermarket VC if you want to go for one you will want to externalize the PCV system. So there is that added cost of both a low and high side catch can and finding a vac source for both(very doable) vs. just buying a stock VC. You can externalize the PCV system on that as well, as I have. If a stock VC lasted you, say 60k assume the new one will last as long if not longer. Will you have the car for another 60k? Is the added cost of an aftermarket VC worth it?

My vote would be the M18 VC with the logo/emblem deleted and a quality high and low side PCV system with the head ports blocked and a real vacuum source for both. None of the VTA BS.

I wouldn't use the VTT cover as I think their products are generally ****. But do what you will. Just don't complain if something goes south as everyone will tell you you should have known better.

Before you install an aftermarket intake manifold I would figure out your FI solution. Be it twins or a single. They gains from an intake manifold are VERY questionable unless you are making decent wheel horse power.

If you want a single turbo get the ACF kit. better than DocRace or ON3 etc. and same price.
"real vacuum source for both". How do you create this? I already have one cold side catch can. Diagram?Parts list? Thanks!