N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '12 135i
Default How to identify timing corrections? - 04-30-2019, 07:53 AM

How can I tell I'm getting corrections? Does the value in the "ign_" columns represent corrections? If so, am I looking for columns of all 0's? Also, why is "ign_1" so much different than "ign_2" thru "_6"?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-04-23 18_03_14_Map-5.csv (9.9 KB, 95 views)

Jim
'12 135i DCT N55 : FBO : PS2 : JB4 : MHD BEF
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-30-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuehl
How can I tell I'm getting corrections? Does the value in the "ign_" columns represent corrections? If so, am I looking for columns of all 0's? Also, why is "ign_1" so much different than "ign_2" thru "_6"?
Looks or drops in “ign_1” that’s timing drops

Then if you look at the cylinders in your log- look for delineating values cyl to cyl. Ideally you want all cylinders to “match”

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 05-01-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Looks or drops in “ign_1” that’s timing drops

Then if you look at the cylinders in your log- look for delineating values cyl to cyl. Ideally you want all cylinders to “match”
Thanks for the response. I'm trying to use the log to figure out if the gas I'm using is good. For timing corrections, is the lower the number the better? Meaning ideally I'd like to see all zeros? Also if I have a cylinder, or 2 in my case, with numbers really different than the others, should I look at an issue like plugs or maybe injectors?

Jim
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-02-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm trying to use the log to figure out if the gas I'm using is good. For timing corrections, is the lower the number the better? Meaning ideally I'd like to see all zeros? Also if I have a cylinder, or 2 in my case, with numbers really different than the others, should I look at an issue like plugs or maybe injectors?
Zeros are not good = low to no timing

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 05-02-2019, 07:13 AM

Ugh, that's not good. Looks like I only have 2 cylinders behaving nicely.

Jim
(#6)
Old

Default 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Is there a way to find out the target timing? I have the BMS BEF to go along with the JB4. Also, are the numbers displayed in the log the actual timing? I can assume that 0 is that what was targeted but without knowing what the target is I don't know how far off the actual timing is. To help with the timing I should probably lower my boost safety to limit boost.

Jim
(#7)
Old

Default 05-02-2019, 01:57 PM

I was just looking at some logs from almost 2 years ago, before I changed my coils and plugs, and timing looked a lot better and more consistent across the cylinders.I think I'm going to do a back-to-back test with my current replacement coils/plugs when reinstall the OEM parts and test the swap just coils (so new coils old plugs) and see how the logs compare. The new coils/plugs may have been a waste of money.

They're Delphi coils and I did have one fail in < 10k miles. It was replaced no charge.

Actually I should test:

new plugs/new coils
new plugs/OEM coils
OEM plugs/OEM coils
OEM plugs/new coils

Jim

Last edited by jpuehl; 05-02-2019 at 02:02 PM..
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-02-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to find out the target timing? I have the BMS BEF to go along with the JB4. Also, are the numbers displayed in the log the actual timing? I can assume that 0 is that what was targeted but without knowing what the target is I don't know how far off the actual timing is. To help with the timing I should probably lower my boost safety to limit boost.
Look at “ign_1” for that / “target timing”

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Car: 2011 335i
Default 05-07-2019, 07:35 AM

Ideally, it would be best to have "field - cell definition document" or mapping...

What is it, what is it used for, nominal values.. things like that.

i.e. AVG IGN - Mean value of Ign 1-6? Target?
Load?
FF?
etc..

2011 N55 MSport 6spd
DP, PPK, JB4 w FF, FMIC
(#10)
Old

Default 05-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Look at “ign_1” for that / “target timing”
Thanks Dave. If "ign_1" is target, how can I tell what the timing actually is for #1? I'm asking because I'm trying to get my timing consistent across the cylinders and I have no idea how #1 looks.

Also, how does "the computer" know how to adjust/correct each cylinder?

Jim
(#11)
Old

Default 05-10-2019, 08:29 AM

I'm noticing that I'm having timing inconsistencies between cylinders on different maps. On map 1, cylinders 4 and 6 seem having a hard time reaching target. After a pull on map 1 I switched to map 5 and gave it a few days to "learn" and did a pull and without making any changes to the ignition and cylinder 4 looks great and now cylinder 2 is lagging.

I look at other logs people have posted and notice their timing is consistent between cylinders. I've changed coils and plugs, swapped back to old coils on cylinders lagging in timing. What could the problem actually be? I just bought a JB4 for my wife's car, I could probably swap it with mine and see if I still have the same issues. It's getting frustrating because I think the car has more in it if I could get the "tune" straightened out.

Jim