(#326)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 09-01-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboh
Hi,

I currently run Map6 with 4.5 psi flat. It appears to be the optimum setting for my use. If I install the MHD backflash and run the same Map6-4.5 flat setting, what improvements can I expect?

Thanks
Probably none if youíre keeping the same settings, are already happy and donít have issues. If you want to go higher it may help. No software fuel limiter, for one. It might let you go above that additive level.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#327)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colauk
is the jb4 with RACE3 bef more comparable to mhd stage 1 or stage 2?
You are asking generally difficult questions because it's hard to compare that way.

There are 5 BEFs, right? A stock, E85, E85+meth, Race, and Race+meth

Race gas is high-octane fuel. It's probably the overall best thing you can use, but it's super expensive, so few people use it. Instead we use ethanol or methanol or both. And there are BEFs for those options as well.

So, if you're stock and are on 91 octane fuel, you'd better use the stock BEF. If you're going to use an MHD map instead, you'll see that there are stage 1 and and stage 2 91 octane options.

"Stages" seem to be used by the industry to designate hardware/bolt-on modification levels and therefore are somewhat orthogonal to fuel choice. JB4 handles the "stage" selection mainly by map selection. Stage 2 is typically for high-flo catalaytic converters or c4tl3ss d0wnp1pes plus maybe an intake upgrade.

So pick the BEF type that mostly matches your fuel, and then set the JB4 to a map most closely resembling your hardware.

Or, same thing for an MHD map. Pick either stage or stage 2 to match your mods, and then look at the various fueling options for each stage that they have. For example, MHD stage 2 has an ethanol variant, as well as a 91 octane, 93 octane, and 95 octane variants as well. Stage 1 has similar options.

This is why you can't just straight up compare a JB4 BEF to an MHD stage 1 or stage 2 map.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FF Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / BMS Meth (100%) / 93 Octane
(#328)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-01-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc67065
What if I run 91 pump?
If no ethanol or methanol supplements, use the stock BEF.

(#329)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-01-2019, 02:49 PM

MHD has come up with a new better way for us to disable various nuisance fault codes. Should be in their next app release and we have the corresponding JB4 BEF maps here ready to go when they do.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#330)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 09-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
You are asking generally difficult questions because it's hard to compare that way.

There are 5 BEFs, right? A stock, E85, E85+meth, Race, and Race+meth

Race gas is high-octane fuel. It's probably the overall best thing you can use, but it's super expensive, so few people use it. Instead we use ethanol or methanol or both. And there are BEFs for those options as well.

So, if you're stock and are on 91 octane fuel, you'd better use the stock BEF. If you're going to use an MHD map instead, you'll see that there are stage 1 and and stage 2 91 octane options.

"Stages" seem to be used by the industry to designate hardware/bolt-on modification levels and therefore are somewhat orthogonal to fuel choice. JB4 handles the "stage" selection mainly by map selection. Stage 2 is typically for high-flo catalaytic converters or c4tl3ss d0wnp1pes plus maybe an intake upgrade.

So pick the BEF type that mostly matches your fuel, and then set the JB4 to a map most closely resembling your hardware.

Or, same thing for an MHD map. Pick either stage or stage 2 to match your mods, and then look at the various fueling options for each stage that they have. For example, MHD stage 2 has an ethanol variant, as well as a 91 octane, 93 octane, and 95 octane variants as well. Stage 1 has similar options.

This is why you can't just straight up compare a JB4 BEF to an MHD stage 1 or stage 2 map.
Ok i understand what you are talking about,i was only asking as i am already currently using jb4 set at 5.5 psi flat and using the RACE bef map with a c4tl3ss d0wnp1pe on shell v power 99 octane (uk) fuel i was just curious if id see any improvements going to the mhd stage 2 map or not.

im guessing that i wouldnt see any improvments as im already running into limitations from the fuel therefore needing meth or another way to boost octane to see any more gains in my case.
(#331)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-01-2019, 03:49 PM

You might notice other things with the MHD maps because they are flash tunes. Like how smooth it is, or that more power is available without going WOT. But let’s say you switch to MHD Stage 2 93 / 99 - you’re going to get better advance but probably less boost than a JB4. Depends on what you’re after. If it’s winning races, or dropping your 1/4 mile time, you may simply want to maximize fuel and power.

(#332)
Old

Car: n55
Default 09-01-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
If no ethanol or methanol supplements, use the stock BEF.
Per Terry, the correct file is actually RACE on 91 octane.
5 non technical questions regarding B58+mhd bef - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#333)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Good to know, wonder what the b58 STOCK is for then. The name is misleading.

For the WhasApp group drop an email to MHD.tuning@gmail.com as they are the admins and can share a working link. Tell them you want the JB4 thread.

(#334)
Old

Car: n55
Default 09-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:

For the WhasApp group drop an email to MHD.tuning@gmail.com as they are the admins and can share a working link. Tell them you want the JB4 thread.
Agreed... it was a bit confusing.
By the way, are you running the ewg wires on the b58 by chance?
I'm buying it soon but worried the wires aren't long enough to reach the drivers side.
(#335)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-02-2019, 01:22 PM

I used to. They help with controlling boost at higher levels esp with meth or map 6. Took them out because I’m running MHD stage 2/e30 atm

(#336)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-02-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
That is the factory flash reference.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#337)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default 09-02-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Probably none if youíre keeping the same settings, are already happy and donít have issues. If you want to go higher it may help. No software fuel limiter, for one. It might let you go above that additive level.
Perfect and much appreciated. I think I will wait for awhile until more info appears. I would love to have more info on level of improvement on JB4 using the MHD. Apples to apples comparison.

So far, I am picking up 5-10 % over the JB4 for the same map settings.

We will see.

Thank you for your response.

2020 330iX auto sport w/M track handling, JB4 ; 93 octane; Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#338)
Old

Car: m240i
Default 09-02-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc67065
Agreed... it was a bit confusing.
By the way, are you running the ewg wires on the b58 by chance?
I'm buying it soon but worried the wires aren't long enough to reach the drivers side.
Not long enough. I had to move my JB4 to the passenger side. Even then, it was a tight fit for everything to reach.

2017 M240i / 6MT / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Dinan midpipe / 200cel d0wnp1pe / 93 Octane
(#339)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 09-02-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboh
Perfect and much appreciated. I think I will wait for awhile until more info appears. I would love to have more info on level of improvement on JB4 using the MHD. Apples to apples comparison.

So far, I am picking up 5-10 % over the JB4 for the same map settings.

We will see.

Thank you for your response.

Wait, can you clarify? What did you do that is giving you 5-10% over the JB4? Or do you mean that is what youíre deducing from othersí experiences?

(#340)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default 09-02-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We haven't really quantified that yet but the gains even on pump gas are significant. I'd guess around 20-30whp in areas of the curve.
Quote:
Wait, can you clarify? What did you do that is giving you 5-10% over the JB4? Or do you mean that is what youíre deducing from othersí experiences?
I am basing on it some of Terryís comments. See page 8. Not sure how to copy it here.

The argument appears to be improved timing. That makes sense to me.

When I optimized map 6 flat, timing is the key, not boost.

2020 330iX auto sport w/M track handling, JB4 ; 93 octane; Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#341)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 09-03-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
MHD has come up with a new better way for us to disable various nuisance fault codes. Should be in their next app release and we have the corresponding JB4 BEF maps here ready to go when they do.
will there be other changes to the updated maps to improve performance or is it just to keep up to date with MHD.
(#342)
Old

Car: Bmw 340i
Default 09-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Hey terry or anybody else that can help with this situation I am in ! I am looking to buy the fuel it cpi kit injection I wanted to see where or how can I tune it if terry or anybody at mhd can help for the new fuel it kit and how much ethanol I should run because I have read around and I do not know anyone who has used this kit or tuned it yet ! Thank you
(#343)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-03-2019, 02:17 PM

We have JB4 and MHD maps for it ready to go, running on a couple cars already. Just email me once it's installed and I can send over what you need.

Burger Motorsports

(#344)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-03-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colauk
will there be other changes to the updated maps to improve performance or is it just to keep up to date with MHD.
Always little changes but fixing the fault code deletion of annoyance faults no longer needed when running an aftermarket flash was the top priority.

Burger Motorsports

(#345)
Old

Default 09-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
We have JB4 and MHD maps for it ready to go, running on a couple cars already. Just email me once it's installed and I can send over what you need.
Ok thank you Iím going to install it very shortly !!
(#346)
Old

Default 09-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Also I should get the jb4 controller they are
Offering right with that CPI kit on their website ?
(#347)
Old

Car: M240i Sunset Orange
Default 09-06-2019, 01:35 PM

I dont use BEF, and I'm running Vrsf catls, BMS CAI, JB4 Map3 v13.

Also, I dynoed on map2 on mustang with 340whp and 363 lbs.
(#348)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric97h
Also I should get the jb4 controller they are
Offering right with that CPI kit on their website ?
The CPI with FSB controller for the JB4, yes.

Burger Motorsports

(#349)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heusing240i
I dont use BEF, and I'm running Vrsf catls, BMS CAI, JB4 Map3 v13.

Also, I dynoed on map2 on mustang with 340whp and 363 lbs.
This is the BEF thread but sounds fine for an MD dyno, those are not normally useful for internet comparisons but great for tuning on.

Burger Motorsports

(#350)
Old

Car: 340i 2016
Default 09-09-2019, 08:49 AM

Hi guys...is there a reason why I am unable to clear codes on the jb4? Is there a setting that needs to be checked. It allows me to read but doesn't delete them...