N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1901)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger 2.0L
Default 03-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Just email us and we'll sort it out that way.
Okay that sounds great. I'll be sure to contact you via email if it occurs again. I guess Map 2 is a no go without the octane boost for me. Thanks again!
(#1902)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-20-2019, 10:05 AM

I'd avoid map2 without it for the time being until you sort out the specific issue.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1903)
Old

Default 03-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Yes sir. I'll stick to map 1 for now, ride that one out, and if issues arise, I'll let you know for the custom mapping! Thanks again for all your help.
(#1904)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Looking for a local Stinger to test fit a new part we're working on. If you're close by and don't mind coming to the office for an hour we'll make it worth your while.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1905)
Old
BMS Fanboy

Car: 2019 Kia Stinger GT RWD
Default 03-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Looking for a local Stinger to test fit a new part we're working on. If you're close by and don't mind coming to the office for an hour we'll make it worth your while.
Open an office in San Francisco or Sacramento, Iíll be there!
(#1906)
Old

Car: Stinger GT
Default 03-21-2019, 04:08 AM

Can someone take a look at this log. It's a MAP 3 pull with the latest firmware running 93 octane.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-20 19_32_35 Map-3.csv (12.3 KB, 60 views)
(#1907)
Old

Car: 2019 STINGER GT2
Default 03-21-2019, 06:22 AM

Is there a minimum octane rating recommended for Maps 3, 5, 7?

I ask because somehow I ended up on Map 7 and only realized it when I saw 18psi boost on my phone and was surprised...! I regularly run 93.
(#1908)
Old

Car: Stinger GT
Default 03-21-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF

I ask because somehow I ended up on Map 7 and only realized it when I saw 18psi boost on my phone and was surprised...! I regularly run 93.
I am pretty sure it's recommended to mix E85 or an octane booster with anything over MAP 2. Although I have heard others have been OK with MAP 3 and 93 which is why I tried it and posted my log for review.

See below for more info. This is on the first page.

Map 2: 5psi over stock tapering to 4psi at high RPM. Suggested for 93+ octane fuel.
Map 3: 6psi stock tapering to 5psi at high RPM. Suggested for high quality fuel including unleaded race gas, ethanol mixtures up to 30%, or high quality octane booster like Torco or Boostane.
Map 4: Valet map, runs around half as much boost as stock.
Map 5: Up to 7psi over stock. For use with unleaded race fuel and/or E85 mixtures up to 30%.
Map 6: User adjustable map. Enter value of boost over stock by RPM on user adjustment page.
Map 7: Up to 7psi over stock but without top end taper. For unleaded race fuel use and bolt on modifications. May not be suitable for E85 mixtures due to high fuel pressure dropping. If using this map on E85 you should be experienced at reading your own logs and evaluating ignition advance and fuel pressure.
Map 8: Progressive WMI (water/meth) map. Increases boost as a function of methanol flow & methanol boost additive. Holds boost low until WMI is flowing to avoid tip-in knock, and reduces boost as a function of WMI flow in the event of interruption like running out of fluid, leak, or component failure.
(#1909)
Old

Default 03-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't answer my question. E85 is not a fixed octane. Mixing boost additive is looking for a ratio of additive to fuel for a desired octane.

I am looking for that desired octane per Map.
(#1910)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-21-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF

Generally map3 is the highest 93 octane map, and in some cases cars run better on map2 with 93 octane. You can log both and evaluate.

Burger Motorsports

(#1911)
Old

Car: '18 Stinger GT2
Default 03-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
FMIC I hope?? Summer is fast approaching! If only I wasn't 2300+ miles away
(#1912)
Old

Default 03-21-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I'd avoid map2 without it for the time being until you sort out the specific issue.
Hello Terry. The clicking noise is still there on Map 1 (with octane booster added to 91 octane fuel). I sent you and email at terry@burgertuning.com.
(#1913)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-21-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyoon
Hello Terry. The clicking noise is still there on Map 1 (with octane booster added to 91 octane fuel). I sent you and email at terry@burgertuning.com.
It's probably not knock but let's try a few things anyway.

Burger Motorsports

(#1914)
Old

Default 03-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Generally map3 is the highest 93 octane map, and in some cases cars run better on map2 with 93 octane. You can log both and evaluate.
I'll run Map 2 and Map 3 on 93 octane and upload them to see. Thanks!
(#1915)
Old

Car: Kia Optima
Default 03-22-2019, 01:00 AM

Is this product compatible with a 2016+ Kia Optima 2.0l? I see itís compatible with the Stinger 2.0 and the Sonata 2.0. I know that Kia and Hyundai share the same engines and I think the Optima 2.0 is the same engine as the two cars just listed but I just want to make sure that this product is 100 percent compatible before I purchase it.
(#1916)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger 3.3T
Default 03-22-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe99999
I am pretty sure it's recommended to mix E85 or an octane booster with anything over MAP 2. Although I have heard others have been OK with MAP 3 and 93 which is why I tried it and posted my log for review.

See below for more info. This is on the first page.

Map 2: 5psi over stock tapering to 4psi at high RPM. Suggested for 93+ octane fuel.
Map 3: 6psi stock tapering to 5psi at high RPM. Suggested for high quality fuel including unleaded race gas, ethanol mixtures up to 30%, or high quality octane booster like Torco or Boostane.
Map 4: Valet map, runs around half as much boost as stock.
Map 5: Up to 7psi over stock. For use with unleaded race fuel and/or E85 mixtures up to 30%.
Map 6: User adjustable map. Enter value of boost over stock by RPM on user adjustment page.
Map 7: Up to 7psi over stock but without top end taper. For unleaded race fuel use and bolt on modifications. May not be suitable for E85 mixtures due to high fuel pressure dropping. If using this map on E85 you should be experienced at reading your own logs and evaluating ignition advance and fuel pressure.
Map 8: Progressive WMI (water/meth) map. Increases boost as a function of methanol flow & methanol boost additive. Holds boost low until WMI is flowing to avoid tip-in knock, and reduces boost as a function of WMI flow in the event of interruption like running out of fluid, leak, or component failure.
RUFFSTUFF / snipe99999,
I'm an old schooled Hot Rodder and Computer Eng, that said... I have found the JB4 as an amazing product but it allows to slide ratios on the ECU program map, so yes it is possible to run a high map on 93 but the ECU will start to pull in protections changes (you will see a lot of graphs like timing and bost control saw toothing). I have been doing a LOT of street testing with maps and Octane, what you want to see is flat line (for the most part) timing, boost, AFR, during applied WOT, if your bouncing your most likely not in the sweet spot. BTW to answer your question about Octane per map, I would say this based on my 3.3T set-up. (Stock except for HKS M45iL (cool for safety, can always run K44 to clean up once in a while), K&N filters in factory Air-Box, 2-1 ADD-W1 catch can ((very important long term to have a catch can on both PCV & CCV lines)) and JB4. I also use BOOSTane to get from 93 up to 99 ref. bellow:
By Default Factory best runs on 93, but Factory has built controls into ECU to run all the way down to 87 with NO issue but just less performance, this is how your ECU can work with non ideal maps so long as your with-in the operational control range of the ECU.

Map 1, min 91 Octane for flat lines.
Map 2, min 93 Octane for flat lines.
Map 3, min 96 Octane for flat lines, (This is where I use BOOSTane to give me 99-100 Octane, BTW B-Premium doesn't have any MMT, B-Pro does contain MMT) So if you will use this product a lot suggest you use the Premium version as it won't rust color your plugs due to the MMT, but only once in a while more bang for the buck with Pro. Both products have a 99 Octane sweet spot).
I have run Map 5 with 99.5 Octane but started to see ECU action (which BTW slows you down as it is seeking that balance.)
I'm planning on testing Map 5 / 7 at 103 / 106 Octane for smooth line shortly and will give results soon, (need to empty my take some to boost up).

BTW check out this awesome tech BOOSTane baseline tune YouTube video by "TheTuningSchool" team: Racing Fuels: Octane Booster Makes Big HP Gains on Load bearing Dyno - YouTube
Also good but less techie is this one: BOOSTane Pro octane booster Technical Review - This Stuff Rocks! - YouTube
Bottom line look at your timing / retard timing values.

My plan is for a solid Daily-Driver and longevity of everything so I'm doing solid limit testing and then will plan on staying on Map 2 and Map 3 as my Daily-Driver.

BTW here is an small example of a smooth line graph that I was referring to above. This is Map-3 with 98.5 Octane.
Attached Images

Last edited by pgeneste; 03-22-2019 at 12:10 PM..
(#1917)
Old

Default 03-22-2019, 07:07 AM

Wow, thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Great job.
(#1918)
Old

Default 03-22-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyoon
Chyoon,
I didn't see you post your current engine set-up so to confirm:
Your a 2.0 T correct?
DID YOU replace your factory SPARK PLUGS, if not it is MANDATORY for safe and happy performance. Denso are good but go one step cooler, If you don't mind the extra cost (for safety IF you play around) go HKS, much more resilient.

I'll verify but I want to say Denso 5354 ( IXUH20I ) is what I recommend, also set gap to 22-24 thousands. (One step cooler than Factory) at min.

r/Phil
(#1919)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-22-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fini5h
Is this product compatible with a 2016+ Kia Optima 2.0l? I see itís compatible with the Stinger 2.0 and the Sonata 2.0. I know that Kia and Hyundai share the same engines and I think the Optima 2.0 is the same engine as the two cars just listed but I just want to make sure that this product is 100 percent compatible before I purchase it.
Yes we're compatible across the entire Hyundai/Kia lineup!

Burger Motorsports

(#1920)
Old

Car: Genesis G70 3.3T
Default 03-22-2019, 01:53 PM

Good afternoon Terry. Hope all is well.

I finally installed the Fuel Wires...and decided to give Map 3 another run. 93 Octane...nothing else.

It's weird. Map 2 seems more responsive out of the gate...but Map 3 seems like it has more grunt as the car gets going. I am starting to lose my mind with this stuff !

Here are 2 files...one is rolling...other is with launch control.

Thank you !
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-22 16_34_24_Map-3_rolling.csv (7.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: csv 2019-03-22 16_36_21_Map-3_LC.csv (18.2 KB, 83 views)

2019 Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Sport
(#1921)
Old

Default 03-22-2019, 01:56 PM

Quick update from me. If Terry says Map 3 looks good...that is as good as it gets for me. Reason is...no E85 around me for some reason. I'm in Richmond, VA...and apparently it is so scarce. Probably b/c they associate it with racing...who knows.

I have 2 stations that have it near me...but they are both 20+ min away one way. So 40 min to travel for fuel is ridiculous.

So I will run 93...either on Map 2 or Map 3...fuel wires installed regardless.

I guess I could get into these additives, etc...but again...what a PITA to constantly calculate how much you need, etc.

(#1922)
Old

Default 03-22-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer
Good afternoon Terry. Hope all is well.

I finally installed the Fuel Wires...and decided to give Map 3 another run. 93 Octane...nothing else.

It's weird. Map 2 seems more responsive out of the gate...but Map 3 seems like it has more grunt as the car gets going. I am starting to lose my mind with this stuff !

Here are 2 files...one is rolling...other is with launch control.

Thank you !
Beefer,
Running map 3 with 93 octane is not advisable as you're going to lose advanced and overall smoothness / performance, also don't forget the ECU learned behavior and if it finds a lot of knock detection and or timing pull back it will effect your lower maps till your ECM learns all is well again. Please see my Octane post from this morning. If you like don't mind chatting with you via phone drop me an email at phil@geekone.com
(#1923)
Old

Default 03-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeneste
Beefer,
Running map 3 with 93 octane is not advisable as you're going to lose advanced and overall smoothness / performance, also don't forget the ECU learned behavior and if it finds a lot of knock detection and or timing pull back it will effect your lower maps till your ECM learns all is well again. Please see my Octane post from this morning. If you like don't mind chatting with you via phone drop me an email at phil@geekone.com
Thanks for the warning. I just did the 2 runs for logging. I am on Map 2 now until I hear otherwise.

And I guess I just did

I will stay where Iím at...fast enough.

(#1924)
Old

Default 03-22-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer
Quick update from me. If Terry says Map 3 looks good...that is as good as it gets for me. Reason is...no E85 around me for some reason. I'm in Richmond, VA...and apparently it is so scarce. Probably b/c they associate it with racing...who knows.

I have 2 stations that have it near me...but they are both 20+ min away one way. So 40 min to travel for fuel is ridiculous.

So I will run 93...either on Map 2 or Map 3...fuel wires installed regardless.

I guess I could get into these additives, etc...but again...what a PITA to constantly calculate how much you need, etc.
I just suggest you run map-2 with 93 octane as baseline, your ECU will pick up maximum timing as it learns that map, if you want to go to map 3 use 1/2 ounce of BOOSTan per gallon, it's the cheapest way to get full HP out of Map-3. 96 Octane is needed.

r/Phil
(#1925)
Old

Default 03-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeneste
RUFFSTUFF / snipe99999,
This is where I use BOOSTane to give me 99-100 Octane, BTW B-Premium doesn't have any MMT, B-Pro does contain MMT) So if you will use this product a lot suggest you use the Premium version as it won't rust color your plugs due to the MMT, but only once in a while more bang for the buck with Pro. Both products have a 99 Octane sweet spot).
Real quick regarding MMT. I read this on an Amazon review regarding BOOSTane...thought I would share with you. Perhaps MMT is not an issue with this product?

Quote:
MMT is definitely a part of the formula that Boostane uses but it is done differently then other octane boosters so I will explain it to you. What Boostane does differently than other Octane boosters is that it is formulated in a way that keeps all of the chemicals used so that they don't separate. It keeps the MMT in suspension with the other chemicals and everything other octane booster does not have that type of formula.Your plugs and cats are safe because the proprietary carrier and delivery system is able to avoid these issues by keeping all of the active ingredients, regardless of density, in suspension indefinitely. All other octane boosters have difficulties of keeping all of the active ingredients, including MMT, from falling out of suspension. Once it falls out of suspension their is no way of keeping these ingredients from being drawn through your fuel system in a coagulated form and that is when you will have problems with plus, injectors and filters.

Boostane does not have these issues.