N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1776)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Fuel wires remain optional to connect in the first place. If you don't want the extra power don't connect them.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1777)
Old

Car: Genesis G70 3.3T
Default 03-06-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Fuel wires remain optional to connect in the first place. If you don't want the extra power don't connect them.
It's not a question of if I want more power or not (of course I do)...but a question of connecting/disconnecting the fuel wires over time.

How is that accomplished?
(#1778)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2019, 09:53 AM

There is a video in the first post showing how they attach to the factory O2 sensors under it's loom.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1779)
Old

Default 03-06-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
There is a video in the first post showing how they attach to the factory O2 sensors under it's loom.
I don't think you are getting what I am saying.

I know how to do it...I've watched the vid, etc.

I am concerned with removing it (going to dealer)...then trying to reattach it and lining up the little pin with the prior piercing of the wire. Is it possible...or do you have to keep re-piercing the red wire in a new spot...thus compromising the wire over time.
(#1780)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefer
I don't think you are getting what I am saying.

I know how to do it...I've watched the vid, etc.

I am concerned with removing it (going to dealer)...then trying to reattach it and lining up the little pin with the prior piercing of the wire. Is it possible...or do you have to keep re-piercing the red wire in a new spot...thus compromising the wire over time.
I'd suggest attaching it to the same spot when removing. It would take a lot of hard work to compromise the wire itself but if you ever get there it's on the o2 sensor side so you could easily replace the o2 sensor and it's factory harness.

Burger Motorsports

(#1781)
Old

Default 03-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Sorry if I am asking repetitive info. I looked everywhere and could not find info.

What is the process for logging info and posting it here?

From what I can tell...you can do a log on the app...email it to yourself...then grab the CSV and post it here. In my case I would post Map 0, 1 and 2.

But...what do you log? Meaning...floor the car from a standstill...hit 60 mph...then come to a stop (for each Map) ? Or do you do a rolling start? Etc.

I just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Placed my order few moments ago...so should be getting my JB4 in a few days. Very excited !!!
(#1782)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 03-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I am asking repetitive info. I looked everywhere and could not find info.

From what I can tell...you can do a log on the app...email it to yourself...then grab the CSV and post it here. In my case I would post Map 0, 1 and 2.

But...what do you log? Meaning...floor the car from a standstill...hit 60 mph...then come to a stop (for each Map) ? Or do you do a rolling start? Etc.

Placed my order few moments ago...so should be getting my JB4 in a few days. Very excited !!!
You can do a few. Just make sure pedal is 100% whenever you log for consistent data.

I personally like to evaluate data in 3rd gear from low rpm till redline, that should get me a full spectrum of the rpm range and whats going on.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#1783)
Old
BMS Fanboy

Car: 2019 Kia Stinger GT RWD
Default 03-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
But...what do you log? Meaning...floor the car from a standstill...hit 60 mph...then come to a stop (for each Map) ? Or do you do a rolling start? Etc
I asked this same question, but never got a response. I saw one post on a different thread say something about starting in 3rd gear at 2k rpm, and full throttle till redline. I've also seen other posts suggests including a few gears in logs. I guess we'll wait to hear from Terry.
(#1784)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 03-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4RTYH4RTY
I asked this same question, but never got a response. I saw one post on a different thread say something about starting in 3rd gear at 2k rpm, and full throttle till redline. I've also seen other posts suggests including a few gears in logs. I guess we'll wait to hear from Terry.
Yes sometimes it depends on the situation where we like to see what happens after gear changes. Mostly we evaluate the logs as you stated from 3rd gear etc just like my post right about yours.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#1785)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Normally if you want us just to check it out and ensure it's OK a full throttle log with shifts is ideal. Say 40-100 on a safe private track. But if there is some specific issue we're helping with we may suggest more specific conditions to capture it.

Burger Motorsports

(#1786)
Old

Default 03-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Normally if you want us just to check it out and ensure it's OK a full throttle log with shifts is ideal. Say 40-100 on a safe private track. But if there is some specific issue we're helping with we may suggest more specific conditions to capture it.
Since I don't have access to a track...the best I can do is a nice straight on-ramp to a highway...cutting it off at 80 mph.

So I can do pretty much 5-80 mph WOT...in Maps 0, 1, 2. I always use 93 octane.

I would not use the paddles...but let the car shift. I would do it in Sport...which keeps the gears longer. Or...I can use the paddles and shift just before redline? Let me know.

Would that suffice for a generalized glance on how my car is behaving?
(#1787)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-06-2019, 03:32 PM

Sure.. I'd just do a run on map2 as that is what you should be running. Don't need anything else unless we see some problem that needs diagnosis.

Burger Motorsports

(#1788)
Old

Car: Stinger GT
Default 03-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Terry,

I just did my 1st E85/93oct tank and was trying out map 3. Everything felt ok but i was hoping you could look at the data and see if it looks good? All i have is on the car is JB4/fuel wires/ ODBII connector. If i need a better log, let me know. Also, i only put 4 gallons of E85
Attached Files
File Type: csv 0_2019-01-18 21_32_37_Map-3.csv (14.0 KB, 83 views)
(#1789)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-07-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgeoisx
Terry,

I just did my 1st E85/93oct tank and was trying out map 3. Everything felt ok but i was hoping you could look at the data and see if it looks good? All i have is on the car is JB4/fuel wires/ ODBII connector. If i need a better log, let me know. Also, i only put 4 gallons of E85
Looks solid to me! Boost, timing, and AFR all where they should be. Fuel pressure not cratering. You are clear for takeoff!
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1790)
Old

Car: Stinger GT
Default 03-07-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Looks solid to me! Boost, timing, and AFR all where they should be. Fuel pressure not cratering. You are clear for takeoff!

Thank You!
1 more question. Do you think it's ok to try map 5 if I am feeling squirrely?. Just trying to find the cars limits with just a jb4.
(#1791)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Sure you can give it a whirl.

Burger Motorsports

(#1792)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger 2.0L
Default 03-09-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Seems OK but update to the v8 firmware so I can see timing/knock in all 4 cylinders. You can also log map2.
Hello Terry. As you suggested, I updated the firmware and logged Map 2. Do you mind taking a quick look at this for me?

UPDATE: I just gave it couple more runs on Map 2, and I'm hearing engine knock under strong acceleration. I'm guessing this is attributed to lower octane fuel I'm using (currently using 91 octane on Map 2)?

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-03-08 22_48_19_Map-2.csv (218.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Chyoon; 03-09-2019 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Updated info
(#1793)
Old

Car: STINGER 2.0 GT LINE
Default 03-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Hello friends!!!
I have a stinger 2.0, I am interested in buying the jb4 but I have several doubts ....
I live in Spain and I miss gasoline shell 98 e5, I wanted to know if using 98 would have to change the spark plugs ???
Is it mandatory to install the fuel cables to be able to use the other maps ???
The obdII cable is connected to the car, or is it to be able to see faults or read data from the app?
And finally I wanted to know how the bluetooth connection works I see that you have to pay to install this option in the mobile
(#1794)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyoon
Hello Terry. As you suggested, I updated the firmware and logged Map 2. Do you mind taking a quick look at this for me?

UPDATE: I just gave it couple more runs on Map 2, and I'm hearing engine knock under strong acceleration. I'm guessing this is attributed to lower octane fuel I'm using (currently using 91 octane on Map 2)?

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris
I don't see any major knock here, a couple minor timing drops. But if you're hearing knock then definitely back down until you can raise the octane somehow to confirm.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1795)
Old

Default 03-10-2019, 08:48 PM

I see. Should I be concerned at all about the timing drops?

Also the knocks (on two occasions) were heard toward the beginning of a strong acceleration right before the boost was really kicking in. Interestingly enough, the knocks weren't the typical "ticking" noises, but sounded more like someone knocking on a metal door, two knocks in one second (if I were to describe the frequency).

Do you by any chance (or anyone on this forum) have any idea what this might be? I'm thinking it might not be the typical engine knocks from predetonation.

Thank you again for reviewing, Terry.
(#1796)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanma82
Hello friends!!!
I have a stinger 2.0, I am interested in buying the jb4 but I have several doubts ....
I live in Spain and I miss gasoline shell 98 e5, I wanted to know if using 98 would have to change the spark plugs ???
Is it mandatory to install the fuel cables to be able to use the other maps ???
The obdII cable is connected to the car, or is it to be able to see faults or read data from the app?
And finally I wanted to know how the bluetooth connection works I see that you have to pay to install this option in the mobile
Someone could help me before placing the order.
Thanks😉
(#1797)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Someone could help me before placing the order.
Thanks��
Hi there!

I don't know much but I'll share what I know. I too have the 2.0L.

- They recommend the Denso or HKS spark plugs gapped at 0.022". Or at least gapping the factory plugs between 0.022" and 0.025".
- Fuel wire installation is not required at least for lower maps such as Map 1 and Map 2.
- OBDII cable needs to be connected to the car for JB4 to be able to read the codes.
- Bluetooth connection works well. Instead of having to rely on connection with laptop via USB, you can simply use the mobile app on your phone to operate your JB4. I would say it's worth the additional cost to purchase the Bluetooth kit.
(#1798)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Hi there!

I don't know much but I'll share what I know. I too have the 2.0L.

- They recommend the Denso or HKS spark plugs gapped at 0.022". Or at least gapping the factory plugs between 0.022" and 0.025".
- Fuel wire installation is not required at least for lower maps such as Map 1 and Map 2.
- OBDII cable needs to be connected to the car for JB4 to be able to read the codes.
- Bluetooth connection works well. Instead of having to rely on connection with laptop via USB, you can simply use the mobile app on your phone to operate your JB4. I would say it's worth the additional cost to purchase the Bluetooth kit.
Hi chyoon, thank you very much for your answer, so I understand that I can only use maps 1 and 2 if I do not install the gas cables, can not I use the other maps ???
How many cv can be obtained with map 1 and 2 as opposed to series
(#1799)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Hi chyoon, thank you very much for your answer, so I understand that I can only use maps 1 and 2 if I do not install the gas cables, can not I use the other maps ???
How many cv can be obtained with map 1 and 2 as opposed to series
I think you are able to use other maps too but the fuel wires is supposed help with full throttle (in theory).

I'm not sure what you mean by cv? Can you help me understand?
(#1800)
Old

Default 03-11-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I think you are able to use other maps too but the fuel wires is supposed help with full throttle (in theory).

I'm not sure what you mean by cv? Can you help me understand?

when I talk about cv I talk about the real gain, the series car takes out 255 cv, and I wanted to know for example what gain it has in the map 1 or 2 ... in other cars that had other control units I have gained 20-30 checked cv in power bank and wanted to know the real gain of jb4 in stinger 2.0