N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 135i
Default 12-24-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
How olds the JB4? Personally donít think age has anything to do with it.
I'm not too sure its a skinny long box. Looks like the one you guys have on your anti-lag walk through.

2009 135i - 6MT - JB4 - BEF - ANTI-LAG - PURE600's - 2" VRSF Inlets - 3.5 TMAP - BMS DCI - Tial BOV - 7" ETS FMIC - CDP - VRSF CDP CEL DELETE - M PERFORMANCE MUFFLER - BILSTEIN SHOCKS/H&R SPRINGS - ECS FRONT FLOATING CROSS DRILLED ROTORS REAR CROSS DRILLED ROTORS/HAWK PADS ALL AROUND - SS BRAKE LINES - BMS CLUTCH VALVE DELETE - BMS CLUTCH STOP
(#52)
Old

Default 12-29-2019, 09:01 AM

Hey Dave, I was browsing the web and trying to dig deeper to see if anyone else has had this issue. Turns out on Boost Addicts Dave had helped someone else with a similar issue. Maybe he can chime in on the this but it seemed like the fix for the issue was the update the firmware on the DME. Apparently the old firmware on the DME is not very friendly to the 3.5TMAP sensor?

2009 135i - 6MT - JB4 - BEF - ANTI-LAG - PURE600's - 2" VRSF Inlets - 3.5 TMAP - BMS DCI - Tial BOV - 7" ETS FMIC - CDP - VRSF CDP CEL DELETE - M PERFORMANCE MUFFLER - BILSTEIN SHOCKS/H&R SPRINGS - ECS FRONT FLOATING CROSS DRILLED ROTORS REAR CROSS DRILLED ROTORS/HAWK PADS ALL AROUND - SS BRAKE LINES - BMS CLUTCH VALVE DELETE - BMS CLUTCH STOP
(#53)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 12-29-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBShiznit
Hey Dave, I was browsing the web and trying to dig deeper to see if anyone else has had this issue. Turns out on Boost Addicts Dave had helped someone else with a similar issue. Maybe he can chime in on the this but it seemed like the fix for the issue was the update the firmware on the DME. Apparently the old firmware on the DME is not very friendly to the 3.5TMAP sensor?
If you have the means of updating your dme/firmware itís worth a shot. What DME do you have?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#54)
Old

Default 12-29-2019, 03:22 PM

IJEOS Iím pretty sure

(#55)
Old

Default 12-29-2019, 06:30 PM

What would it take to update the firmware?

(#56)
Old

Default 02-13-2020, 06:45 PM

Guys... I'm too close to giving up.. I'm honestly beginning to think about removing the JB4 all together and use MHD to get a tune.

I tell everyone to run jb4 with bck end flash.. Everyone I know that says throw out the jb4 I tell them no and that I'm sticking with it, however I cant get my car to run right with my 3.5TMAP and its getting to the point that I dont know what else to do and the support just isn't there.

I decided to email you guys directly for better support than waiting on the forum and the person helping just gives me vague answers. It's like hes not even paying attention to what I report back to him.

I sent in a log with the 3.5TMAP sensor plugged in with the jb4 harness and the 3.5TMAP option turned on as he requested. He saw something was wrong from the log. I advised him the car shows 8.9 psi of boost at idle and sputters when I give it gas.

He asked me to plug in the stock 3.5TMAP sensor and send him a log. Logically he log showed the car was running well. His response was "Well you are back on stock sensor now you should be fine"...

Again.. I need better support or I'm ditching this all together. I really hate to but I need my car to run right. I support you guys all the time I need you guys to support me over this issue. I seriously don't know what else to do here. I have logs of the car with and without the 3.5tmap sensor. Both at idle and some throttle in neurtal (car is not driveable with the 3.5tmap sensor option on).

(#57)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-13-2020, 07:52 PM

Who have you been emailing with on our end.

Did you ever update your JB4 firmware?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#58)
Old

Default 02-13-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Who have you been emailing with on our end.

Did you ever update your JB4 firmware?
Ando

Yeah everything is up to date. From the DME to the JB4

(#59)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-13-2020, 09:27 PM

Frustrating for sure...

Why don’t we try this...

You could try removing the jb4 if you want, do you have access to a flash only map?

Burger Motorsports

(#60)
Old

Default 02-14-2020, 06:07 AM

I can flash stock flashes using MHD which allow me to turn on or off the 3.5TMAP setting through there.

I have tried turning off the jb4 (setting 0) and flashing to stock through MHD with the 3.5TMAP setting turned on and the car seemed to be ok with it. However when I flash to stock once again but turned off the 3.5TMAP in MHD so that I could turn it back on in the JB4, the JB4 showed the same symptoms.

I'm assuming by unplugging the JB4 we'll be able to isolate the issue to the JB4 or my car?

(#61)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-14-2020, 08:57 AM

What id do is remove the jb4, flash the car to “stock” WITH the 3.5 bar sensor option checked

We can eliminate a sensor / harness issue at that point if the car behaves normal
(#62)
Old

Default 02-14-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
What id do is remove the jb4, flash the car to ďstockĒ WITH the 3.5 bar sensor option checked

We can eliminate a sensor / harness issue at that point if the car behaves normal
Ok will do! I work until late tonight and will work until 3pm eastern time tomorrow but can work on the car after work if not Saturday. I also scored a stage 2 fuel it pump that I will be adding.

(#63)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-14-2020, 10:09 AM

Awesome- I’ll be here all weekend.

You can email me directly as well for help: dave@fuel-it.com

Burger Motorsports

(#64)
Old

Default 02-14-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Awesome- Iíll be here all weekend.

You can email me directly as well for help: dave@fuel-it.com
Thanks Dave! I honestly really appreciate it!

(#65)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-14-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dave! I honestly really appreciate it!
Donít mention it, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this for you. Youíve been chasing this for a while

Burger Motorsports

(#66)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-14-2020, 03:47 PM

I've seen this before in cars where customers try to rewire the stock connector themselves and damage the pins. I understand that you've returned back to stock orientation and are now using the BMS adapter but that may be something to look into.

Check PMS.
(#67)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-14-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoahAngelo
I've seen this before in cars where customers try to rewire the stock connector themselves and damage the pins. I understand that you've returned back to stock orientation and are now using the BMS adapter but that may be something to look into.

Check PMS.
Yeah, itís not unheard of.

Flashing to stock flash + the n20 option checked, that will def. point us in a direction / give us some hard data

Burger Motorsports

(#68)
Old

Default 02-15-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Check PMS.
I checked the PMS and will give your method a try since it's easier than removing the JB4. (Try the easier stuff first)

I do have a question though, if damage occurred to the pins wouldn't it run rough with the stock tmap sensor as well? Not doubting you just trying to have a better understanding for things. It's usually when we're doing diagnostic work that we learn the most in my opinion lol

(#69)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-15-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I checked the PMS and will give your method a try since it's easier than removing the JB4. (Try the easier stuff first)

I do have a question though, if damage occurred to the pins wouldn't it run rough with the stock tmap sensor as well? Not doubting you just trying to have a better understanding for things. It's usually when we're doing diagnostic work that we learn the most in my opinion lol
Not necessarily. I suspect it has to do with the enabling the N20 map sensor option, which rescales the MAP conversion tables.

Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 1 bar (14.5psi, on Y-axis). If you look at the voltage of the 2.5 bar sensor, its around 2v. Looking at the 3.5bar, 2v would be reading ~23-24psi. Around 8 psi difference, similar to the reading your JB4 is showing you.

*Just physically tested this on one of my cars. Removing pin the solid yellow wire (Pin #4 2.5bar or Pin #1 3.5bar) from the connector completely yields a reading of 13psi at idle. This is where I would start.
(#70)
Old

Default 02-15-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. I suspect it has to do with the enabling the N20 map sensor option, which rescales the MAP conversion tables.

Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 1 bar (14.5psi, on Y-axis). If you look at the voltage of the 2.5 bar sensor, its around 2v. Looking at the 3.5bar, 2v would be reading ~23-24psi. Around 8 psi difference, similar to the reading your JB4 is showing you.

*Just physically tested this on one of my cars. Removing pin the solid yellow wire (Pin #4 2.5bar or Pin #1 3.5bar) from the connector completely yields a reading of 13psi at idle. This is where I would start.
When you put it that way it makes sense! I'll be leaving work in about an hour and am going to try it out. Fingers Crossed I get the sucker working properly!

(#71)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-15-2020, 05:53 PM

Burger Motorsports

(#72)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 09:57 AM

So I turned the ignition on and had my tablet next to me while swapping sensors.

When the 3.5tmap option is on I get 8.5psi on either stock sensor or the new sensor with the BMS PNP Harness.

Looks like the next step will be to remove the jb4

(#73)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 10:02 AM

I have also tried to pry the pins slightly to make sure they are making contact. Sorry forgot to mention this

(#74)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Let’s see what happens

Burger Motorsports

(#75)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Letís see what happens
I unplugged the jb4 and flashed to stock map with 3.5tmap option on. Car is running normal no hesitation or whatsoever