JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2022 Q60
Default Map 3 Log Review - 04-23-2022, 10:59 PM

Hey there! i have a 22 Q60 bone stock so far. Just got the JB4 on. I am on 93 Fuel & have it set to Map 3. Please lmk how its looking.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P50-M3-R3-220424-0057.csv (105.1 KB, 43 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 3.0t
Default 04-25-2022, 07:24 AM

Looks good...move it up to map 4 and log again.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-25-2022, 11:04 PM

Great! Thanks a bunch. I will log & post map 4 ASAP
(#4)
Old

Default 04-26-2022, 05:36 PM

Alrighty heres Map 4 Log
Attached Files
File Type: csv P50-M4-R4-220426-0131.csv (58.3 KB, 29 views)
(#5)
Old

Default 04-27-2022, 06:40 AM

Still looking good - give Map 5 a try. Your AFR is on the rich side (typical for the VR stock tune) and you are seeing some max out of fuel trims (value of 44). Nothing alarming...just keep an eye on it as you move up to Map 5. Adding the fuel wires to your JB4 setup will help optimize the AFR and add a bit more power.
(#6)
Old

Default 05-01-2022, 11:09 AM

Awsome Will do! thanks again for your help!
(#7)
Old

Car: 16' Skyline 400R
Default 05-17-2022, 07:01 AM

Hi JCB,

could you please link the "How to read logs" for me. i could swear i saw it somewhere before but can't find it in the search.

Thanks
(#8)
Old

Default 05-17-2022, 09:23 AM

Not familiar with it, but here is what I look for.

All below is at FULL THROTTLE

Ign1 field indicates spark advance. Healthy car should have a nice cup shaped curve to it...in terms of values, that means starting high at low RPM, moving steadily lower at mid RPM and then back up at high RPM. Ideally it would be low teens, down to mid single digits, then back up to double digits at high RPM. At shift it resets to zero, but should then immediately recover back to the values corresponding to current RPM. I like to see a minimum value of 5 in this field (except for the shift), however, I have seen BMS folks give thumbs up to lower values, as long as the curve is smooth and there are not large drops in the value. Large drops indicate the car may be experiencing knock (pre-ignition). Only Ign1 is used on our platform. The other Ign fields are not used and values within are not meaningful.

AFR/AFR2 - Air Fuel ration will start lean (values of ~15-16 as the turbos spool up, but then should settle at around 10.8-12.5. Stock the car tends to target a rich AFR (lower value in the field). BMS fuel wires target a bit leaner (higher value). The theoretical perfect AFR for power is 13:1-14:1, so even at low to mid 12, its a safe target.

Trims/Trims2 - Trims indicate how much fuel your car is trying to deliver to arrive at the target AFR. Max trims value on our platform is 44. You don't like to see max values throughout a pull. That means that the car is using the full fuel delivery capacity it has. It is better to see the value fluctuate as it keeps its target AFR. If you see AFR that is too lean (say 13 and higher) and trims are pegged at 44, it means you are running more boost than your fuel system can handle.

ECU and Target - represent the amount of boost psi your car is asking for (ECU) and target is the amount over ECU JB4 is asking for. Boost and Boost 2 fields should roughly equal the sum of ECU and Target boost. You will see at low RPM that it will be less as your turbos need time to spool up to the targets.

Time Stamp is JB4 internal timer within a log in tenths of a second. This can be used to get rough times for 0-60 or whatever other mph acceleration you might want to measure.

Pedal to Throttle - compare these to see if the car is pulling throttle during a pull. Could be for wheel spin, rev limit, or some other stability nanny.

Iat, Waterf, Oilf Transf - all temperature readings in Fahrenheit. Waterf must be 160 or above for the JB4 to activate the boost target.

Fuelen - is a measure of fuel wire influence on AFR. A value here indicates that the fuel wires are working to lean the mix out to a target of low to mid 12's.

WGDC and FF are turbo wastegate measures.
(#9)
Old

Default 05-18-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB
Not familiar with it, but here is what I look for.

All below is at FULL THROTTLE

Ign1 field indicates spark advance. Healthy car should have a nice cup shaped curve to it...in terms of values, that means starting high at low RPM, moving steadily lower at mid RPM and then back up at high RPM. Ideally it would be low teens, down to mid single digits, then back up to double digits at high RPM. At shift it resets to zero, but should then immediately recover back to the values corresponding to current RPM. I like to see a minimum value of 5 in this field (except for the shift), however, I have seen BMS folks give thumbs up to lower values, as long as the curve is smooth and there are not large drops in the value. Large drops indicate the car may be experiencing knock (pre-ignition). Only Ign1 is used on our platform. The other Ign fields are not used and values within are not meaningful.

AFR/AFR2 - Air Fuel ration will start lean (values of ~15-16 as the turbos spool up, but then should settle at around 10.8-12.5. Stock the car tends to target a rich AFR (lower value in the field). BMS fuel wires target a bit leaner (higher value). The theoretical perfect AFR for power is 13:1-14:1, so even at low to mid 12, its a safe target.

Trims/Trims2 - Trims indicate how much fuel your car is trying to deliver to arrive at the target AFR. Max trims value on our platform is 44. You don't like to see max values throughout a pull. That means that the car is using the full fuel delivery capacity it has. It is better to see the value fluctuate as it keeps its target AFR. If you see AFR that is too lean (say 13 and higher) and trims are pegged at 44, it means you are running more boost than your fuel system can handle.

ECU and Target - represent the amount of boost psi your car is asking for (ECU) and target is the amount over ECU JB4 is asking for. Boost and Boost 2 fields should roughly equal the sum of ECU and Target boost. You will see at low RPM that it will be less as your turbos need time to spool up to the targets.

Time Stamp is JB4 internal timer within a log in tenths of a second. This can be used to get rough times for 0-60 or whatever other mph acceleration you might want to measure.

Pedal to Throttle - compare these to see if the car is pulling throttle during a pull. Could be for wheel spin, rev limit, or some other stability nanny.

Iat, Waterf, Oilf Transf - all temperature readings in Fahrenheit. Waterf must be 160 or above for the JB4 to activate the boost target.

Fuelen - is a measure of fuel wire influence on AFR. A value here indicates that the fuel wires are working to lean the mix out to a target of low to mid 12's.

WGDC and FF are turbo wastegate measures.
This is exactly what i was looking for. Thank you.
(#10)
Old

Default 05-18-2022, 10:01 AM

No problem...enjoy the car and the extra power you are about to unlock!
(#11)
Old

Default 05-18-2022, 10:08 AM

i have already started unlocking said power. what a difference. unfortunately USPS screwed up my wastegate wire shipment and now its on its way back to Burger. either way i'm running map 6 but keeping the boost at 18psi max and following the boost table provided by that article that stillen did a while back. car feels great. i don't have a HX yet so not trying to go crazy. afr's have looked good so far. no more overboost CEL which i've had issues with for 2 yrs since going full ******* dp. i've got a lpfp i'm waiting to install to run more E. how do i view curves? is that a different software?
(#12)
Old

Default 05-18-2022, 01:41 PM

That is a pretty aggressive amount of boost to run on pump gas and being new to this. Can you post a log to see how it looks? As you are learning, there is more to consider than just turbo efficiency.
(#13)
Old

Default 05-23-2022, 01:44 PM

Hey JCB.

i'll try and get one done today and post now that i'm passed the 5 post limit. i can say tho that afr's are in the 11's. hoping burger resends my wgw's soon.
(#14)
Old

Default 05-24-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB
That is a pretty aggressive amount of boost to run on pump gas and being new to this. Can you post a log to see how it looks? As you are learning, there is more to consider than just turbo efficiency.
Hi JCB,

finally got around to getting a log. let me know. side note, i used to tune my own civic on Ktuner back in early 2021. this platform is of course different so i appreciate the help while i get used to the jb4. is there a software for PC as well? i've seen graphs on here before and was curious how those are made.

thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P50_M6_R9_220523_1701.csv (34.7 KB, 17 views)
(#15)
Old

Default 05-24-2022, 03:26 PM

Ignition advance (Ign1 field in the log) is very low at your peak boost about 3600 RPM and up. While I don't see sudden drops, it does mean that your ECU is concerned about detonation/pre-detonation and is pulling timing. You are basically trading power generated by advancing the spark timing for the additional boost. I would run peak +4 target flat through rpm band and see how it feels and how the log looks.
(#16)
Old

Default 05-25-2022, 08:41 AM

thanks for the input JCB,

i've actually been on map1 for the last few days. i'm thinking i might have gotten some bad gas cuz on that pull i posted, i had e85 in the tank. I'd say about 4.5 gallons worth with 93.

Map 1 so far is pretty good and i also lowered my map 6 to max 4psi across like you stated. just haven't had a chance to do a pull.